Newbie looking for weight loss tips

Options
Just joined MFP and I'm wondering what I should focus on most using this app for losing weight? Example focus solely on calories or perhaps my nutrient count? I also feel that a 50% carb amount for a day it gave me is a lot. Am I wrong? Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated:)

Replies

• lc355
    lc355 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I just focused on calories. Once I'd got the hang of accurately logging and knowing what to avoid so I didn't go over then I glanced at macros but I don't take a huge deal of notice otherwise things get complicated and I would give up. One goal (calories) a day is enough for me.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit=weight loss, macros=nutrition. Log accurately and honestly. Once you get the calories down, you can play with your macro goals to see what satisfies you (provided you don't have a medical reason to watch your carb intake). Some go low carb, some go 40/30/30, others stick to the default of 50/30/20.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Buy a scale if you have not already done so. It's also smart to double check entries in the data base, or add your own in my foods.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Exercise so you can earn extra calories to eat. Log all foods no matter what! Weigh your foods so you have idea what a serving size is.
  • cory_hudack
    cory_hudack Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Calorie deficit=weight loss, macros=nutrition. Log accurately and honestly. Once you get the calories down, you can play with your macro goals to see what satisfies you (provided you don't have a medical reason to watch your carb intake). Some go low carb, some go 40/30/30, others stick to the default of 50/30/20.

Thanks. I'll pay close attention to calories. All this macro talk is way over my head right now. I was curious about the default carb intake because I have a desk job so I would think I wouldn't need as many carbs. I figure the app knows better than me though

• cory_hudack
    Options
    lc355 wrote: »
    I just focused on calories. Once I'd got the hang of accurately logging and knowing what to avoid so I didn't go over then I glanced at macros but I don't take a huge deal of notice otherwise things get complicated and I would give up. One goal (calories) a day is enough for me.

Even before I joined this I've tried to pay attention to what I eat. Then all this macro talk totally threw me off thinking there's more to weight loss then calories. I'll try your method and pay attention to calories until I get the hang of that first. Thanks
  • cory_hudack
    Options
    eileen0515 wrote: »
    Buy a scale if you have not already done so. It's also smart to double check entries in the data base, or add your own in my foods.

Thanks! Do you recommend any brand of scale or are they all basically the same?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Look for something digital with a tare button and the ability to switch easily between grams and ounces. Some scales have some other neat bells & whistles, but those three are the important things.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you haven't had a chance yet, definitely take a look at the stickied most helpful posts (must reads) that are posted at the top of each forum section. Those are some great tips.

These are some of my favorite starting points:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101
  • sarbu24
    sarbu24 Posts: 129 Member
    Options

Look for something digital with a tare button and the ability to switch easily between grams and ounces. Some scales have some other neat bells & whistles, but those three are the important things.

I didn't know what a Tare button was when I started here, so I'll explain just so you know why it's important. Put a bowl or plate on the scale, it will weigh the bowl or plate, push the Tare button and it brings the scale back to Zero so you're only weighing your food not the bowl and the food:)
    Hope this helps! Good luck with your weight loss and add me if you like:)