Any help is appreciated!

Options
So I've looked this up online, and there seems to be various mixed opinions.
I have brain surgery in 3 weeks, and the recovery will cause me to be unable to go to the gym/ lift for anywhere between 6-8 weeks. I realise that during this recovery I will lose muscle, however my question is what (if anything) can I do to minimise muscle loss. Like specific diet/ foods. Any supplements that help etc. Also, as I have 3 weeks prior to surgery, is there anything I can do to make this easier?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Keeping protein relatively high helps retain muscle. Tell your doctor if you go higher than about 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight (0.45 grams per kg).

Other than that, just eat healthy, so your body can function at its best. Something along the lines of the Mediterranean diet. Ask your doctors before trying any supplements.

Good luck! :+1:
  • josephJJRryan
    josephJJRryan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks heaps!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is the case, but please don't be trying to lose any weight at this point (unless your doctor has indicated that your current weight increases your surgical risk). You want to be a healthy and nourished as you possibly can. Recovery is hard enough as it it. I really wish you all the best through the surgery and through the recovery phase.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I agree, I think this is a time to focus on good nutrition so you are as healthy as you can be for the surgery.
    I'm guessing you will have access to a physiotherapist after your surgery (if not, ask if that's possible) and discuss exercise options with them. Even better would be to do that now.
  • josephJJRryan
    Options
    Thank you, will do
  • evildeadedd
    evildeadedd Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that muscle has memory. You may lose some while recovering, but it is easier to regain losses than to build fresh. Take care of yourself. Focus on healing, the gym will be there.
  • josephJJRryan
    Options
    Thank you:)