Stomach sticks out abnormally(pic)

Options

Replies

• dagost17
    dagost17 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    are you constipated? My stomach looks like that when I'm constipated. My stomach is flat but when I get backed up, I look 5 months pregnant.
  • workhardtogethard
    workhardtogethard Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Go get your stomach checked out by a doctor. Demand an ultrasound and any other tests available. Hopefully it's something minor, but better safe than sorry, right?
  • wallace_4
    wallace_4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You should get that checked out, my daughter has crowns disease and that is what her belly looks like. Don't freak out if you do have it...it can be managed.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Doctor ASAP!!!
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I am an "apple" and store my fat in my midsection. When I put on weight, it is in that "male" pattern of skinny arms, skinny legs, giant stomach. It's annoying. Although I do have "hourglass" hips and breasts when I am at my healthy weight, I don't get extra-curvy when overweight, I get chubby-man-shaped.

You may just be one of the ~ 14 % of women who are apple-shaped (also sometimes called "inverted triangle").

Here's the breakdown from a few studies:
    A study of the shapes of over 6,000 women, carried out by researchers at the North Carolina State University circa 2005,[1] found that 46% were rectangular, just over 20% spoon, just under 14% inverted triangle, and 8% hourglass.[2] Another study has found "that the average woman's waistline had expanded by six inches since the 1950s" and that women in 2004 were taller and had bigger busts and hips than those of the 1950s.[2]

[1]. Istook, C; Simmons, K; Devarajan, P. "Female Figure Identification Technique (FFIT) for Apparel"
    International Foundation of Fashion Technology institutes. Retrieved 2014-11-
    [2]. McCormack, Helen (21 November 2005). "The shape of things to wear: scientists identify how women's figures have changed in 50 years". The Independent. UK.

Having said that, I have to echo almost everyone else here when I say - continue to follow up with your doctors. That's great that you were checked for fibroids. You are a little bit young for a colonoscopy, but I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis when I was 22. I had symptoms, though, and you don't mention any abdominal distress other than the bloating. Have yourself tested for food allergies, celiac disease, etc.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Just throwing this out-any possibility of you being pregnant and not knowing it?

Yeah that's a perfect smooth looking baby bump!

If nothe possible (seriously not possible not "OMG no way I can get pregnant if he pulls out???" Kind of "not possible") then definitely seek a doctor. Looks intense if you're not over weight. I'd worry about intestinal and reproductive problems. Get some imaging done!
  • brianna5913
    brianna5913 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A girl in my school has something wrong with her stomach and spine so her stomach sticks out like that. I forgot what it's called but you should definitely get it checked in every way. Even your spine to see if that it isnt contributing to it.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    Just throwing this out-any possibility of you being pregnant and not knowing it?

Yeah that's a perfect smooth looking baby bump!

If nothe possible (seriously not possible not "OMG no way I can get pregnant if he pulls out???" Kind of "not possible") then definitely seek a doctor. Looks intense if you're not over weight. I'd worry about intestinal and reproductive problems. Get some imaging done!

I had a friend who went for an ultrasound to check for a cyst, they found a baby she was about 16weeks preg. She was still getting periods which was probably why they skipped the preg test.
  • Labyrinthine93
    Labyrinthine93 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This can't just be posture... Definitely something to see a doctor about. My first guess is baby, second guess intestinal bloating.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Shame OP never came back!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't drink beer or any alcohol... This is why I am confused...

A beer belly is a carb belly. You don't see often bellies on heavy spirit drinkers.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Kkallisti wrote: »
    Mine does that too- it's just where my body deposits fat, in addition to have weak abdominal muscles from not getting fitter sooner. I am 5'9" and 128lbs (with muscle!), and it's till there. I am seeing a lot of progress from heavy core weight training and some endurance cardio, for me it is just all bodyfat even though I am small elsewhere.

That being said, my belly is clearly fat. It's flabby, wiggly, and soft. I can flex and feel my abs buried under the fat pocket, but it is NOT firm in and of itself. Don't panic, but be aware of the fact that this isn't 100% normal. I say go examine your eating habits, go back to your doctor, and ask for a few tests to be done just to clear your mind. If it is something bad, you'll catch it. If it isn't, you can rest easy knowing that you just have a body that likes to pad your baby-bunker.

I'm just gonna ask - are you saying the belly In your profile pic is comparable to the one the OP posted?
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Shame OP never came back!

Yeah. I'd be interested to hear back if they ever got this resolved.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    You seem to have a very hollow lower back! Could it be you're just lacking core muscles, thus on your lower back and front which gives you a posture like a questionmark and your belly protrudes due to this? Otherwise: doctor!
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    'a hollow lower back'?

WTF?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Spine bends forward.. lordosis? Keep in mind not everyone here is an English native speaker.
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    My shock was less at the language, and more that a complete stranger is trying to diagnose an issue with her spine/back/posture based on 2 bathroom selfies.

Seriously.

OP - just go to the doctor like most people have recommended.
    Others - stop pretending you have the solutions.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. Take a parent with you. Please. Do it now.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Just going to echo those who say get yourself to a doctor. A belly like that could be from a multitude of problems, some not so serious, some very serious.