What do you do when you are frustrated?

Options
I was working on a project today and it was not going well at all. Just as I was going out the door to buy something I needed for the project--I noticed a tray of store bought brownies on the counter. I was at my Mom's--there are no brownies on my counter!--and just like that, boom, I had two. (I did look at the calorie count so I could record them --180 cal each! Yikes.)

I KNOW I wanted that happy feeling I get from high fat, high sugar food--and normally, I do have a small treat everyday (I'm set at 2050 calories)--but this was TOO MUCH--and FOR THE WRONG REASON. Brownies have a place in my life but not scarfed down as stress relievers on my way out the door.

So, I figured--I need to know--what do people do to relieve being stressed from frustration?

Replies

• tempuress_82
    tempuress_82 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Just look away girl just look away lol
  • saramickeydee
    saramickeydee Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I still tend to want to curl up in my hidey hole and eat. I don't usually but I want to.

Lately, I've just been feeling the feelings and trying to tell myself it's OK to feel them. Constructive self-talk. "Yep, this sucks. Yes, I'm frustrated. Yes, I want to eat. No, that won't actually fix anything. What will actually help the situation?"

A short break, a little caffeine, a planned workout, a promise to reward myself with some alone time (that's what I love), renewed attention to the project at hand, and getting to bed at a decent hour are the things that actually help.
  • paulajobelle
    paulajobelle Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I stop and picture myself mentally (both where I am now and where I want to be) and allow myself to feel the way I feel! This worked for me when I quit smoking and so far 5 months and still smoke free. I may still have the urge to smoke but I remind myself that the feeling driving it (bored, frustrated, angry, ect) will pass and I will feel better on both counts-the irritant or whatever will go away AND I did not give in. Using this for weight loss and it is alot harder (food is everywhere) but it is getting easier. Just don't knock yourself for those brownies and keep going.
  • Namaste_Heart11
    Namaste_Heart11 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Oh, that's such a tough situation! I think it's very difficult to not revert back to past behaviors ~ try not to be too hard on yourself... you're already on the right track thinking about ways to change the next time you're faced with that dilemma <3 Change is a process, and it's not perfect. Personally, I try to find something to drink (tea with organic, raw honey usually curbs my cravings for sweets)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'd like to say that I do some deep *kitten* like meditate or self reflect...but I probably just eat the brownie and do an extra 20 at the gym, or gym and have an extra beer for relaxation. If I'm not in a place where I have the time for all that (like work) I'll promise myself a little retail therapy on my lunch and go buy some nice shoes or something. lol.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    So I am a person who binges and emotional eats which I am still dealing with, however, I try to work out or talk myself out of it. It isn't worth the bad feelings you will get after you eat it. After awhile, the treats are not as special as they once were.
  • AlanainCanada
    AlanainCanada Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. It is tough one, isn't it? I used to handle my stress with cigarettes...that was seven years ago...so it is unlikely I'll go back to that nasty habit.

I like the idea of a tea or a diet coke or something, depending on the temperature! 10 deep reaths, too, and a walk around the block (cause I'm not usually fit to be around, either.)

Thanks for the support!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I find that going for a walk when I'm p*ssed off helps me quite a bit. I always feel better after getting some exercise.
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I go to my happy place...Netflix and Supernatural reruns.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    My long-term stress relief consists of regular exercise (especially running and cycling), watching mindless TV shows before bed, a cocktail in the evening before dinner, and wasting time on the Internet (though too much of that can become a source of stress itself!).

If I need relief immediately, I'll go for a run or walk (if there's time), take a deep breath and meditate for a few minutes, or flip through some vacation photos on my laptop or phone.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I still tend to want to curl up in my hidey hole and eat. I don't usually but I want to.

Lately, I've just been feeling the feelings and trying to tell myself it's OK to feel them. Constructive self-talk. "Yep, this sucks. Yes, I'm frustrated. Yes, I want to eat. No, that won't actually fix anything. What will actually help the situation?"

A short break, a little caffeine, a planned workout, a promise to reward myself with some alone time (that's what I love), renewed attention to the project at hand, and getting to bed at a decent hour are the things that actually help.

This is me in a nutshell. I acknowledge my stress and my high emotions and let myself feel them. Eating has always been a way to make my emotions stop and let the endorphins of eating high sugar/fat foods wash the bad away. I recognize this behavior and once I woke up I couldn't go back.

I also am getting good an relying on my partner for help when I get seriously frustrated. There are days when everything has gone wrong and I can feel a binge coming. Yesterday was like that. I did end up eating quite a few feelings in a short period of time and immediately logged it and realized it didn't help and told my husband "hey I just stress ate several snacks I didn't need. I think I need to be alone right now, can I have the room to myself to decompress?"

As an introvert being overwhelmed in front of others, even my husband, triggers an anxiety response and that's why I ate the food. I was with our roommate in the living room while my partner played games, so I ate in front of the TV (roommates back was turned to his computer so no audience) but I realized being in the living room with the kitchen nearby was a problem for the emotions I was feeling. I went to my husband asked for the room and sat with my feelings.

I don't really meditate but I did run through the day and identify the triggers and let the emotions resolve. I hope to call this a good practice and intervene sooner next time. I don't much like our roommate, especially lately with his life choices, so even being in a room with him making casual side talk is really tough because I have to hold so much in! I ended up feeling better within 5 minutes of being alone and was able to talk to my husband about my day to get his advice for the stress creator.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Actually, OP, I think you did pretty well. If you are an emotional/binge eater the fact that you limited yourself to only two brownies and logged them shows a lot of restraint.
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I like to light a bunch of candles, draw a bubble bath, get in the tub & give myself a deep conditioning hair treatment & a facial or just sit & soak. Sometimes I channel my inner Margot Tenenbaum & bring my iPad & watch Nettux until I'm all puckered & pruney.
    There's just something so therapeutic about being submerged in water. It washes all the troubles away.