Weights or cardio to slim down fast for the beach?

Options
torsaer
torsaer Posts: 211 Member
I try and do both, but don't usually have time to do both each day. Am starting to get desperate as my holiday approaches and I'm still flabby (particularly thighs, which are very wobbly!). What should I be concentrating my efforts on - weights or cardio?

Replies

• Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I would love to know too, as I'm going on a beach vacation in 15 days! So hopefully someone will have some answers.
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Definitely Cardio, jogging every morning and you'll see the awesome change. Thank me later :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    bump, I do both but interested in the replies
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    Weights!

I'd suggest 20-30 minute HIIT workout (30 sec full throttle, 90 second easy, repeat) then weights. For weights, mix high-rep/low-weight workouts with low-rep/high-weight workouts.
  • H8T3D
    H8T3D Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Cardio is a must to shed off some weight, but once your done so is your calorie and fat burn... When working with Weights your body stays working even after the workout, burning calories and fat repairing itself.

I would suggest both, maybe some cardio as a good 30 min warmup and then 30-45 min's of weight training.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Definitely both.
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    Strength and hit
  • nickiog
    nickiog Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    have you tried pilates? its kind of like cardio and weights in one. there are a ton of free workout videos you can find online like on exercisetv.com . when i did it consistently for 5 days a week for 2 weeks i noticed a difference over my whole body feeling much leaner and more toned.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Both. Cardio burns calories at a greater rate, and you'll lose weight quicker. Weight training adds muscle, and tone. With better muscle tone, not only will you look better, but you'll burn more cals. at rest.

If you don't have a lot of time, you can alternate days, or just do a HIIT for 20-30 min, and focus on one or two muscle groups for that day. Your whole w/o can be under and hr, but make quite an impact on your figure.
  • mustanggirl_2011
    mustanggirl_2011 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    bump
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    If I really had to choose, it would be weights. But first I'd research ways to efficiently combine the two in the available time. The 30 day shred, maybe?
  • AlexandraR2011
    AlexandraR2011 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options
    Do your weights first then cardio...there's a terminology for it but heck if I can remember it..they said something like you burn fat when you start with the weights then go to cardio.. If you do cardio first it burns the wrong stuff first.. Or do weights one day and cardio the next. Good Luck!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Do your weights first then cardio...there's a terminology for it but heck if I can remember it..they said something like you burn fat when you start with the weights then go to cardio.. If you do cardio first it burns the wrong stuff first.. Or do weights one day and cardio the next. Good Luck!

This is good advice.

I don't really do traditional cardio. Any cardio I get is in interval format. Tabata (20 seconds max effort, 10 seconds complete rest, repeat 8x) intervals in particular...even tabata jumping jacks can hurt if you're new to it lol. Tabata planks, tabata heavy bag, tabata sprints, tabata pushups, situps, and pullups...it's absolutely incredible. And the thing about interval and weight training is that sure, they burn only moderate calories WHILE you're doing it...but they induce hormone production that keeps your body burning FAT (not just calories) for up to 24hrs after an intense interval session.

I don't know about you...but I'd prefer to burn pure fat than plain old calories =D.

If you must do steady state cardio...definitely do it after your interval/weight training session.

Here is a prime example of the difference in results from steady state cardio, and interval/weight training:

http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/The_Final_Nail_in_the_Cardio_Coffin.cfm

Cris
  • wantthistowork
    Options
    are you referring to on the treadmill? I try that but find it difficult to constantly change the treadmill settings back and forth like that
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    This is good advice.

I don't really do traditional cardio. Any cardio I get is in interval format. Tabata (20 seconds max effort, 10 seconds complete rest, repeat 8x) intervals in particular...even tabata jumping jacks can hurt if you're new to it lol. Tabata planks, tabata heavy bag, tabata sprints, tabata pushups, situps, and pullups...it's absolutely incredible. And the thing about interval and weight training is that sure, they burn only moderate calories WHILE you're doing it...but they induce hormone production that keeps your body burning FAT (not just calories) for up to 24hrs after an intense interval session.

I don't know about you...but I'd prefer to burn pure fat than plain old calories =D.

If you must do steady state cardio...definitely do it after your interval/weight training session.

Here is a prime example of the difference in results from steady state cardio, and interval/weight training:

http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/The_Final_Nail_in_the_Cardio_Coffin.cfm

Cris

THANK YOU for sharing this article! Very insightful and eye opening!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    are you referring to on the treadmill? I try that but find it difficult to constantly change the treadmill settings back and forth like that

Which is part of why I wouldn't use one. Treadmills aren't really even running anyhow...more like coasting I suppose. A bike...or even better, a rowing machine...would be my choice personally if I were doing interval cardio.
    THANK YOU for sharing this article! Very insightful and eye opening!

You're welcome hun...glad you appreciated it =D.

Cris
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is great for intervals, too.
  • justlottie
    Options
    Maybe have a cardio sesh one day and weights the next day , not sure how many times a week you work out but any sort of weight training you need to rest the area you have worked on , deffo would not drop weights , like others have said it burns calories for upto 24 hours , great for toning and inch loss :)
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Both. Cardio burns calories at a greater rate, and you'll lose weight quicker. Weight training adds muscle, and tone. With better muscle tone, not only will you look better, but you'll burn more cals. at rest.

If you don't have a lot of time, you can alternate days, or just do a HIIT for 20-30 min, and focus on one or two muscle groups for that day. Your whole w/o can be under and hr, but make quite an impact on your figure.

This! Alternatively, check out www.bodyrock.tv for super intense, short workouts that will get you great results.