Chicken wings - HELP !!

Options
localgrr
localgrr Posts: 99 Member
edited April 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I have a real weakness for Chicken Wings - at least I bake them and add no extra oil. I've always logged them as "Homemade - Baked Chicken Wings" which is verified, and comes out as a manageable 86 Cal per wing.

Out of boredom today in the supermarket I scanned the barcode of my wings - the nutritional info isn't printed on the label (I live in Germany) to my horror it said 246 Cal per 100g, that's around 200 Cal a wing !! (for reference: "Hähnchen-flügel Wilhelm Brandenburg") These are plain wings!

I've looked all over the internet and found so many conflicting things. Perhaps the barcode weight is without the bone ? It doesn't specify.

Any tips here? I may have to re-think my entire life !! :s

Thanks in advance

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I sincerly doubt each wing is only 86 calories. I would go with the scanned barcode.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have always wondered this. Does the barcode measure the weight of the bone too?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Logging any entry that says "Homemade" can be trouble, as you have no idea what the other person used for it. You're better off logging each ingredient separately or creating a recipe for it (which wouldn't be needed for the wings, but for other meals).
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Fit4LifeAR wrote: »
    I have always wondered this. Does the barcode measure the weight of the bone too?

It should be for the meat only
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    localgrr wrote: »
    I have a real weakness for Chicken Wings - at least I bake them and add no extra oil. I've always logged them as "Homemade - Baked Chicken Wings" which is verified, and comes out as a manageable 86 Cal per wing.

Out of boredom today in the supermarket I scanned the barcode of my wings - the nutritional info isn't printed on the label (I live in Germany) to my horror it said 246 Cal per 100g, that's around 200 Cal a wing !! (for reference: "Hähnchen-flügel Wilhelm Brandenburg") These are plain wings!

I've looked all over the internet and found so many conflicting things. Perhaps the barcode weight is without the bone ? It doesn't specify.

Any tips here? I may have to re-think my entire life !! :s

Thanks in advance

Yes to the bold.
  • localgrr
    Options
    Yes I just did a search (yup, should have done that before!) and the info on the packet is usually the meat only - hooray !
  • localgrr
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I sincerly doubt each wing is only 86 calories. I would go with the scanned barcode.

If you think how little meat is on a wing, it is possible - it's like an egg cup full at best.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If you aren't adding fat or breading, I'd just use the NI for the chicken and the sauce separately. According to this site, a raw chicken wing with bone and skin is 222 calories per 3.5 ounces, not per wing.

http://www.nationalchickencouncil.org/chicken-the-preferred-protein-for-your-health-and-budget/the-nutritional-value-of-chicken/
  • localgrr
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If you aren't adding fat or breading, I'd just use the NI for the chicken and the sauce separately. According to this site, a raw chicken wing with bone and skin is 222 calories per 3.5 ounces, not per wing.

http://www.nationalchickencouncil.org/chicken-the-preferred-protein-for-your-health-and-budget/the-nutritional-value-of-chicken/

If I go to the source site it says "Nutrient values and weights are for edible portion."

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/926?fgcd=&man=&lfacet=&count=&max=&sort=&qlookup=&offset=&format=Full&new=&measureby=
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    Options

If I go to the source site it says "Nutrient values and weights are for edible portion."

Are you pulling the meat off of the wings and weighing it separately?

• localgrr
    Options
    Nope :(

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

If you think how little meat is on a wing, it is possible - it's like an egg cup full at best.

I agree. What makes it fattening is what it is prepared in or dredged in before being cooked/fried. :)
  • ubermofish
    ubermofish Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Chicken wings are high in fat compared to other kinds of chicken, hence the increased number of calories.

1. Weigh wings (cooked)
    2. Eat wings
    3. Weigh bones/refuse
    4. Subtract bone weight from wing weight
    5. Log your wings using the "Chicken, broilers or fryers, wing, meat and skin, cooked, roasted" entry
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    Options
    Nope :(

PP's suggestion is a good one. Weigh the wings before eating. Then weigh the bones after eating and the difference is how much you actually ate, then you can use the package NI for "consumed portion" and that should be pretty accurate then.

• OfficialDSXIII
    OfficialDSXIII Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It's without the bone.

When I have wings I just get the total weight and then subtract the bone weight after I'm done eating.

I might have some wings tonight. Thanks for the craving! :smiley:
  • ubermofish
    edited April 2016
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »

I agree. What makes it fattening is what it is prepared in or dredged in before being cooked/fried. :)

According to the USDA nutrient database, theres about a 70cal difference between the two, per 100g (~3wings, from my experience). So the bulk of the calories is still coming from the wing itself, but the extra from the frying/flour can stack up easily. Though I'm not sure how the fried wings magically have more protein than the roasted ones.

Roasted wings (100g without bone):
    250cal
    23.79g protein
    16.87g fat
    0g carb

Flour-Dredged Wings, fried (100g without bone):
    321cal
    26.11g protein
    22.16g fat
    2.39g carb
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    Options
    ubermofish wrote: »
    perkymommy wrote: »

According to the USDA nutrient database, theres about a 70cal difference between the two, per 100g (~3wings, from my experience). So the bulk of the calories is still coming from the wing itself, but the extra from the frying/flour can stack up easily. Though I'm not sure how the fried wings magically have more protein than the roasted ones.

Roasted wings (100g without bone):
    250cal
    23.79g protein
    16.87g fat
    0g carb

Flour-Dredged Wings, fried (100g without bone):
    321cal
    26.11g protein
    22.16g fat
    2.39g carb

There is protein in flour. That's what gluten is, protein.

• localgrr
    Options
    It's without the bone.

When I have wings I just get the total weight and then subtract the bone weight after I'm done eating.

I might have some wings tonight. Thanks for the craving! :smiley:

That's actually brilliant! I thought I'd have to strip them first, eating them off the bone like a savage is part of the charm !
  • ubermofish
    Options

There is protein in flour. That's what gluten is, protein.

Yeah but the carb:protein ratio is off
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Here's a few idea of how. Cook wings and make them healthier. Freeze your wings the cook them at 450 for 20-35 minutes per side until the skin is very crispy, dragging fat off of pan in between flipping them, this cooks a lot of the fat out and since they're frozen first they do not get dry. Chicken skin is gross when it's not cooked right anyhow.

Second one, this is Alton Browns. Look up his chicken wings, the buffalo ones. You steam the wings for 10 minutes in a steamer on the stove. Take them out, pat them dry, put them in the fridge for at least an hour, (I do this stuff the day before) then bake on cooling racks set in sheet pans, bake at 425 for 25 minutes, flip, cook another 25 minutes until crispy. I love this method and have given it to a lot of people.