Help! Macros/Calories/IIFYM

Options
Hey, looking for IIFYM help! I just switched over from weight watchers. I joined the Edge gyms and my trainer introduced me to macros. She gave me some which were very different from multiple online macro calculators. I'm so confused! She suggests 1500 calories a day but some macro calculators are suggesting around 2000! Below is some info about my and the macros I've decided on. I'd like your input. Thank you!

Me:
CW: 255.6 lbs
Height: 5'4"
Body fat %: 46.9

Current macros:
Calories: 1500
Carbs: 94 (25%)
Protein: 169 (45%)
Fat: 50 (30%)
*I chose to do a low carb ratio because I've heard it's better for weight loss.

I workout 3-4 times a week. Usually I do a 60 Minute circuit training class.

Any input would be appreciated. I'm worried about under eating calories and also my ratios being ideal for fat loss.

Replies

• radmork
    radmork Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Have you used the online iifym calculator? It works out how many calories your body burns with your gender, weight, fat percentage etc (your tdee) From that you then need to have a calorie goal 3500kcal lower than that over a week (500 a day) to lose weight. I personally would find 25% carbs hard but if that's something you can stick to I've heard you are better off having a lower carb ratio when trying to lose fat. Depending on your goal weight you should be eating 1-2g of protein per lb of your goal weight so you maintain muscle mass so I've read on many forums. Hope this helps. Good luck
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    macros are not for weight loss they are for health and nutrition.

1500 seems low for your current stats...what did MFP give you based on a weekly weight loss goal of 2lbs a week?
  • Graciefab
    Graciefab Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't remember the original number but I felt like 1500 seemed low. But the online macro calculators are suggesting between 1600-2000...I don't know who to trust.
  • Graciefab
    Graciefab Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    radmork wrote: »
    Have you used the online iifym calculator? It works out how many calories your body burns with your gender, weight, fat percentage etc (your tdee) From that you then need to have a calorie goal 3500kcal lower than that over a week (500 a day) to lose weight. I personally would find 25% carbs hard but if that's something you can stick to I've heard you are better off having a lower carb ratio when trying to lose fat. Depending on your goal weight you should be eating 1-2g of protein per lb of your goal weight so you maintain muscle mass so I've read on many forums. Hope this helps. Good luck

The online IIFYM cal is saying 2040 calories which seems like a lot!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    There are no ideal macros for fat loss. Beyond some basic guidelines it's just a matter of trying it and seeing if you are satisfied.

The TDEE-based approach often reduces calories by about 20% (from 2500 that would give you 2000) and that's about a 1/week (-500). With those numbers 1500 would be a goal of 2 lb/week. I think that's fine at your current stats (it's similar to what I did when I started -- I was 5'3, over 200), but you could lose on more if you wanted to try something more based on the calculators. I suspect that's the explanation for the different calorie numbers.

Good plan to best preserve lean mass when losing is to aim for around .8 g of protein per lb of goal weight (although more for satiety purposes is fine). Beyond that, don't cut too low on fat and experiment to see how you feel best. For many people just eating a generally healthful, filling, and satisfying diet is going to matter more than specific fat vs. carbs numbers, although some recommend .35-.4 g/lb for fat (forget if that's goal or current weight).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Graciefab wrote: »
    I don't remember the original number but I felt like 1500 seemed low. But the online macro calculators are suggesting between 1600-2000...I don't know who to trust.

I agree that's what I eat to lose 1/2lb a week and I am 152lbs, a bit taller but older.