The Gym Groups!!

Options
Now I know this isn't an MFPer because everyone I meet here is so lovely and supportive.

However I get very cross with those women (and unfortunately it always seems to be women) They are at the gym and all hang around together. Spend a lot of time looking good - and frankly do look beautiful - but they know it!

So I walk into a class today - Body Attack.(for those of you who haven't come across this it is 60 mins of hi impct aerobics with some interval training - a hard workout in anyones book) The "Girls" are there. Two of them look me up and down and then say something - I'm guessing not too flattering to the group.

Now I am very thick skinned - I know they look at me and think:
"No way is that fat lady going to be able to do this class" (I'm a size 18 with lots of wobbly bits!!!)

At my age I really don't care what people think - I am there to work out - but I do have a little secret up my sleeve :wink: I'm actually quite good at Aerobics!! The music carrys me away and I find I can push myself really hard and I am very light on my feet!

So the class starts and I'm fine. 20 mins into the class I am more than fine!! I catch a glance over to one of the "girls" OMG guess what she's not fine - no she is struggling a bit! The class continues - and boy it was hard - I sweated buckets and looked like a drowned rat - but apart from that - I wasn't puce white at the end of the class like one of those "girls" was!

At the end of the class one of the girls smiled and said "that was hard wasn't it ....you did well though" Lots of things went through my mind at that point to say ! But I bit my tongue and smiled and just said "I enjoyed that did you?"

Anyway the moral of the story is - never judge a book by a cover! Just because you're skinny and beautiful doesn't mean to say your fitness is any good. Flip side - just because I'm fat doesn't mean that my fitness level is rubbish!

I hope that these girls have learnt their lesson - and don't put someone off from going to the gym or class that is more self conscience.

Replies

• sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Here here! Well said Charlie. Those groups of "girls" are in all gyms I bet but good on you for showing them!

It is wrong to judge and sadly, someone who is not as fabulously confident as you are may have been totally put off by the behaviour of those "girls". It's not very nice.
  • divadoll41
    divadoll41 Posts: 188
    Options
    Great job.....keep doing it know matters how the skinny minnies look at u when u enter! Have a blessed day! I'm going to start working on the 30 Day Shred morning! Stay motivated diva u can do this.
  • sars_68
    sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You have such a good attitude Charlie!! Unfortunately there are people like that everywhere, but you're so much better than them and their sad little opinions. YOU GO GIRL!!!!Proud of you!! XX
    :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • beau8
    beau8 Posts: 20
    Options
    That is excellent I wish I could have been a fly on the wall. It is so true that people do judge a book by its cover, people see a large person and automatically make presumptions. Good attitude, good workout well done.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I nearly kicked my very skinny and very buff boyfriend's *kitten* today doing the 30 Day Shred... I honestly think core muscles and core strength have a lot to do with it... and that's not always evident if someone has a layer of fat over it. Fitness can be a very complex thing. You have a great positive attitude... continue kicking *kitten* in the gyms. Screw the *****y ones, I say :) They are always in it for the wrong reasons.
  • CynthiaS
    CynthiaS Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    you go girlie :) thats awesome that you showed them & keep a great attitude