Why do you workout ?

Options

Replies

• trish2016
    trish2016 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    To lose weight and be healthy and also after a hard day at work its great to go to the gym and throw some punches
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Because rust never sleeps.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I like to eat lots and flex in front of the mirror. I could do those without working out, but it would be harder to justify.
  • jordanamrussell
    jordanamrussell Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I started because I wanted to lose weight and look better. I was always active as a teen but then after having 2 kids I got lazy, life got in the way, whatever. So I gained weight and was very out of shape. I know how good exercise is for us as humans. But once I started, I loved the feeling it gave me to finish a workout. The endorphins are real ! woohoo lol.
    And yes, it does help relieve stress for me also. When I had a bad day and I'm feeling lazy and just want to go home and lay on the couch with Netflix and junk food, I workout instead and I make better choices because of it.
  • Katy2Survivor
    Katy2Survivor Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    To clear my mind .... "Me time "
  • NadiaMayl
    NadiaMayl Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Started out for losing weight and to look better! Slowly, I've learned to recognize how fantastic I feel emotionally and physically after a good workout! Even a quickie (of the Non-sex kind) makes me feel accomplished! It has become part of my balance! Gotta love those endorphins!
  • BranwynTaffy
    BranwynTaffy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The main reasons working out is beneficial for me are remaining healthy, fit & strong. I have asthma, so feel keeping fit keeps my lungs in tip top shape (whether that's medically true or not). I run up & down stairs, even in heels, do sprints when walking & would like that to continue.

Second tier reasons are to release daily stress & frustration & to get a buzz off the mood elevation. I'm a bundle of grump & short temper if I don't workout for any length of time, so I isolate myself during those periods, which makes it worse. When working out, I can retain my mood (e.g., no one brings me down or ruins my high) & when I'm stretched out & tired from a good game of exertion with a bit of sweat, I feel as if I've accomplished something, particularly when so many do no exercise at all.

Third tier reason is it allows me the time to sort out my life's obstacles, decisions, etc., sans interruption. We all need some alone time, even if it is while listening to Trent Reznor & Courtney Love screaming.

Fourth tier reasons are I look younger for my age & enjoy fitting into the same clothing I wore decades ago, sans sagging & muffin top... so vanity & ego boost.

Note: If the 4th tier were nonexistent, I'd still workout for 1st-3rd tier reasons.

A short story, if you'll allow me, in the hopes it offers motivation to anyone (although all who replied don't seem to need any... well done, there).

A friend's father died at 99. After retirement, 6-days/wk he walked 2-mi to have lunch at the same cafe & walked back home 2-mi. He did this 'til the evening he died, which was passing away in his sleep after returning from his 4-mi RT walk for lunch. He'd never been ill & only mentioned he was tired after walking home that final day... his only complaint. He is my motivation when I feel blase about getting up to workout.

Also, my mum is 84 & does a yoga class 3-times/wk... that showoff. I feel I have no valid reason at all to be lazy, so I suppose that's the 5th tier... I can't come up with a good excuse to be inactive.

Good replies... very inspirational. Have a good day, All!
  • foxygirl14
    foxygirl14 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    To look better, be able to eat more, and fight depression/stress. I never really enjoy working out while I'm doing it, but I feel fantastic afterward!
  • Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Because I love food.
  • Frank_Jr
    Frank_Jr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I workout because I got to fight the Hulk in about a month.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    To look great for my husband (who is 10 years younger than I am), to feel better and to be a good example for my daughters. Plus, it's fun and feels great!
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I started out to lose bodyfat, Now I lift to get stronger/bigger
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    To scare criminals when I approach.

No one wants to mess with a huge powerlifting police officer that's tattooed up. And to scare my daughters boyfriends when she's old enough to talk to boys.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    GPerez1991 wrote: »
    We all have different fitness goals, or just different reasons for working out, what's everyone's main motavation tho? Mine is to just look better , and with that more sex, I mean we all love it , some more then others tho

A whole post just so you get promote that you like sex. Nice grooming behavior.
  • Katerbels
    Katerbels Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    A) Because I quit smoking and it stops me from punching someone (anyone, I'm not picky) in the face.
    B) Because I love food and need to work hard for extra calories sometimes.
    More A than B, depending on the day.
  • kaylasaurus
    kaylasaurus Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    For me it definitely came from a vanity standpoint at first - but the more I work out the better I feel and the more I like pushing myself physically and mentally. I don't look down at my body anymore. I just appreciate it for what it can do.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    GPerez1991 wrote: »
    We all have different fitness goals, or just different reasons for working out, what's everyone's main motavation tho? Mine is to just look better , and with that more sex, I mean we all love it , some more then others tho

A whole post just so you get promote that you like sex. Nice grooming behavior.

wait grooming? isn't that something people do when theyre pedophiles or am i confused

Grooming behavior is anything done to modify and predispose someone to an expected outcome. Marketing uses it all the time.