Vitamin D insufficiency AND exercise

Options
Hi guys.
I lost around 13 KG till now but I've been feeling weak and pain after exercising. The muscle pain will last for days.
My vitamin D result is 10.9 ng/ml so I started using the supplement as prescribed.
I'm wondering what exercises I can do to continue loosing weight without having the muscle pain?
I try to walk but even this will give me pain. I'm 27 yrs 163 cm height 70.1 kg weight.

ps. sorry for my poor english

Replies

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    My viatmin d level is even lower that yours by two points [mine is 8] and I exercise too. If my muscles hurt I just take ibproufen to be honest, but I also have fibromyalgia. I also take hot baths.

Hopefully the vitamin D supplement will help. I have to take one too now.

I'm thinking yoga or gentle stretching might help you.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Your English is fine! Perfectly got your point across.

I'd say all muscles are likely to remain sore until you get your vitamin d levels back to normal. I'm on 50k units once a week for 6 weeks, I'd say I'm bouncing back from exercise faster this week. So maybe two doses was when I noticed the benefits. Hopefully you'll feel well soon.
  • mamafazz
    mamafazz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Try to get some sun if u can too..your body can make thousands of units of vitamin d. High noon is best with as much skin exposed as you can. Make sure u do not burn though. Best of luck.
  • Shery88
    Shery88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »

I'd say all muscles are likely to remain sore until you get your vitamin d levels back to normal. I'm on 50k units once a week for 6 weeks, I'd say I'm bouncing back from exercise faster this week. So maybe two doses was when I noticed the benefits. Hopefully you'll feel well soon.

Thank you so much for your reply . I'm on 10k daily but just started today. I will wait for couple weeks and see if there is any improvement.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    The best source of vitamin D is exposing your skin to sunlight. I do not intend to offend in any way, but is it possible to do that in privacy to bolster your vitamin D levels?
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Perhaps taking regular walks out in the sunshine would be a good exercise for you. The body is capable of producing its own vitamin D through the action of sunlight on the skin. "It is estimated that sensible sun exposure on bare skin for 5-10 minutes 2-3 times per week allows the body the ability to produce sufficient vitamin D, but vitamin D has a half-life of only two weeks".

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/161618.php
  • Shery88
    Options
    My viatmin d level is even lower that yours by two points [mine is 8] and I exercise too. If my muscles hurt I just take ibproufen to be honest, but I also have fibromyalgia. I also take hot baths.

Hopefully the vitamin D supplement will help. I have to take one too now.

I'm thinking yoga or gentle stretching might help you.

Hi
    I get your point as my sister's level is 7 but she is able to exercise way more than me. I'm getting other tests done by next week too.
    I'll take proufen then it might helps.

Thanks
  • Shery88
    Options
    mamafazz wrote: »
    Try to get some sun if u can too..your body can make thousands of units of vitamin d. High noon is best with as much skin exposed as you can. Make sure u do not burn though. Best of luck.

Thank you for the tip dear. I'll do that tomorrow
  • Shery88
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    The best source of vitamin D is exposing your skin to sunlight. I do not intend to offend in any way, but is it possible to do that in privacy to bolster your vitamin D levels?

Not offended at all. If I were you I'd wonder too. It's very possible and I'm definitely going to do that.
  • Shery88
    Options
    socalkay wrote: »
    Perhaps taking regular walks out in the sunshine would be a good exercise for you. The body is capable of producing its own vitamin D through the action of sunlight on the skin. "It is estimated that sensible sun exposure on bare skin for 5-10 minutes 2-3 times per week allows the body the ability to produce sufficient vitamin D, but vitamin D has a half-life of only two weeks".

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/161618.php

This article is very helpful.
    Thank you very much
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Shery88 wrote: »
    brb_2013 wrote: »

Thank you so much for your reply . I'm on 10k daily but just started today. I will wait for couple weeks and see if there is any improvement.

I bet you will notice quicker then since it's daily! Maybe even just a week.
  • aprilmims
    aprilmims Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Magnesium can help with muscle soreness too. I use a powder form and have a warm cup of it before bed. It's very calming and helps me sleep and my muscles recover. As a marathon runner, I've used this for several years. Now that I'm taking D3 also, my muscle pain has almost gone away completely.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    To increase the vitamin D absorption, take it with a meal that has fat or oil.
  • FeelsLikeAwesome
    FeelsLikeAwesome Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I second the magnesium recommendation. I had a quite low vitamin D level and was on mega doses to raise levels. Levels did rise but some of the muscle soreness did not go away.

Magnesium helped get rid of the muscle soreness that was still lasting far too long after a workout. Now I will feel it the next day or two (if I really pushed it) after I workout, but not for the four days after that was happening.

Of note, the cheaper kind of magnesium supplements (magnesium sulfate?) will give you the trots. Look for the other more $ preparations that are easy for your body to absorb.