Nutrisystem vs Lean Cuisine?

I was looking into Nutrisystem. Is there any difference in using that or just buying Lean Cuisine or even weight watchers TV dinners? The Nutrisystem food comes frozen from what I read but seems like buying a bunch of lean cuisines meals would be cheaper?

Replies

• ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Lean Cuisines are making my life so easy. The macros are pretty good on some of them (find ones with 19+ grams of protein and they won't leave you hungry) and this week they were $1.29 each if you bought 6 or more so I stocked up. I hate cooking and I do not want to be talked at about how easy it is to "meal prep." NutriSystem is just a money pit scam.

I'm 3 years into maintenance and I still eat an occasional Lean Cuisine, I really enjoy the taste of some of them :)
  • Lisa2117
    Lisa2117 Posts: 17 Member
    I know how to cook but it's harder to count the calories so I was looking for a way to have be exact calories and try that for a while and see if it helps me more with losing weight. Plus I like that they have low calories so if I have one for lunch and I make a bigger dinner the calories even out.
  • sandrachis
    sandrachis Posts: 52 Member
    I like to have Lean Cuisine on hand so that when I'm running late I don't just grab anything. They are inexpensive and convenient. Home cooked food is better but these are good in a crunch.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    I liked the Lean Cuisine style frozen meals from the supermarket but here in Australia they were just way, way too expensive (for me anyway) at $5-12 each. They are fantastic for calorie counting, easy for lunchtimes and are generally pretty balanced macro-wise.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    I have a Lean Cuisine for lunch almost every day M-F at the office. The calories are easy and I have a handful that I actually really enjoy. Some also have good amounts of protein. I don't watch sodium, but some people do so if you do, make sure to check the sodium content. I also agree with someone above - you can often get them on sale. I stock up when Publix has them 5 for $10. Assuming you'd eat them for 2 meals a day every day, if you got them on sale you could get your entire week for about $30. My understanding is the Nutrisystem is closer to like $10/day (don't quote me on that though).

I'd rather have Lean Cuisine and have the flexibility of eating my own homemade meals for other meals. It also doesn't hinder my learning how to do my own portion control because my other meals are still made by me where I have to weigh my food and calculate the calories.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    edited April 2016
    I use nutrisystem. I like the food, it's $12/day for three meals and a snack and they deliver. With the things I add in like produce and dairy i spend between $15-17/day totaI.I know how to cook but cooking for one is a pain and cooking a bunch of food and freezing it is the same as nutrisystem but takes more of my time. I still have to cook it first then reheat it so where is the advantage?

ETA: I have flex days when I don't eat nutrisystem food. If another delivery is scheduled and I still have a lot on hand I can always postpone the order.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    KateTii wrote: »
    I liked the Lean Cuisine style frozen meals from the supermarket but here in Australia they were just way, way too expensive (for me anyway) at $5-12 each. They are fantastic for calorie counting, easy for lunchtimes and are generally pretty balanced macro-wise.

Whaaaaaat??? Dang I thought 2.30 was too much! I only buy them when on sale for $2 or less but I do enjoy them. I couldn't and wouldn't eat them every single day as a means to lose weight. What I enjoy is the portion of a food I'm really craving at a calorie count that fits my day.

Last night we had planned to have roasted potatoes but I was craving macaroni and cheese. I'm supposed to be working on cutting dairy for my digestion but I have a few LCs left and decided to have what I really wanted. It was great, and potentially a few less calories since my husband was making the potatoes and Lord knows he doesn't measure the oil.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Same premise - when my mom wanted to try Nutrisystem, I suggested she just stock up on Lean Cuisine instead. :)
  • PosterPens
    PosterPens Posts: 172 Member
    i remember buying the nutrisystem and as soon as it arrived, i tried the mushroom risotto. I have never gagged so much in my life. it honestly not only looked like vomit, it tasted like it. returned that garbage as fast as i received it. YUCK!

on the other hand, some of lean cuisine's meals are so so so good...esp the french bread pizza. <3333
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I would go with freezer meals, so many choices out there: Lean Cuisine, Weight Watchers, Healthy Choice. Even a few Marie Callender's & Stouffer's red box will be in the right calorie range. I look for sales and stock up.

Look for higher protein and plan to add some of your own veggies, this will help stretch the size of your meal.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Lisa2117 wrote: »
    I know how to cook but it's harder to count the calories so I was looking for a way to have be exact calories and try that for a while and see if it helps me more with losing weight. Plus I like that they have low calories so if I have one for lunch and I make a bigger dinner the calories even out.

Probably a dumb question, but are you using the recipe builder?
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    If they're not enough to satisfy you, you can always add a steamed veggie to bulk up for very little calories:)
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    I stopped buying Lean Cuisine because the portions are so small, felt like I was getting ripped off. There are 2 or 3 of Marie Callender frozen dinners I do buy occasionally, ones that aren't too terribly unhealthy. Calories are usually 400-500.
  • Quesswhat
    Quesswhat Posts: 1 Member
    i know someone that did Nutrisystem and they said some of the food was good but cost was not worth it and when they quit they gained wt back plus extra
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited April 2016
    I stopped buying Lean Cuisine because the portions are so small, felt like I was getting ripped off. There are 2 or 3 of Marie Callender frozen dinners I do buy occasionally, ones that aren't too terribly unhealthy. Calories are usually 400-500.
    It really depends upon which ones you get.

As stated above, you might want to add a veggie or two. Depending upon how hungry I am, I either have just a Lean Cuisine or a Lean Cuisine plus a microwave steam-in-bag veggie.

Frozen dinners in general (not just Lean Cuisine brand) can be quite helpful for convenient and flexible portion control. Nutrition and calories can be all over the map but today's nutrition labels allow us to be more mindful about the ones we choose.
  • Michaelxo444
    Michaelxo444 Posts: 225 Member
    Didn't they have a recall for finding glass in the food
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Didn't they have a recall for finding glass in the food

Nestle USA did do a voluntary recall of certain DiGiorno, Stouffer's, and Lean Cuisine products due to the potential presence of glass in the food (which they thought was in the spinach used in the meals). Five different Lean Cuisine meals were impacted.

That said, if you avoid foods that have been involved in recalls, you will end up cutting a lot of stuff from your diet.