Vegetarians: macro splits and how to get protein

Options
brandnew222
brandnew222 Posts: 42 Member
edited April 2016 in Food and Nutrition
What are your macro splits? What protein rich food do you eat to fulfil your daily needs?
I'm eating 1800 calories/day and my splits are 40/30/30 (c/p/f), so protein around 130g/day. I'm transitioning to vegetarianism and I find it difficult to reach my protein goal.
PS: my aim is weight loss

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I get 15-20% of my calories from protein. My protein sources are beans, grains, tofu, tempeh, seitan, vegetables, and (less often) nuts/nut butter and protein powder. Beans, tofu, tempeh, and seitan are particularly rich sources of protein, but the protein included in foods like grains and vegetables can add to your daily total as well.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and do 50/30/20 c/p/f at about 115g Protein/day. I eat a lot of beans and seitan, I have a protein shake that I mix with PB2 powdered peanut butter every morning that gives me 25 g/protein right off the bat before my first workout. A protein bar before my 2nd workout in the afternoon that gives me 21g/protein, and the rest is all from beans, seitan, lentils, quinoa...I'm usually over my protein by 20-30g each day.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    As a vegetarian, protein is the hardest for me to get. I have to really be intentional with every meal, because it's so easy to just overload on carbs and forget the protein.

My protein goal is about 120g a day. For breakfast i do egg whites, Morningstar vegetarian sausage links, and Dave's Killler Bread thins (about 30g total). Lunch I add black beans and some type of cheese to my salad (about 22g), and I have a protein shake in the afternoon (30g), and typically another snack, like cheese and crackers (about 10g).

I eat a lot of the Gardein "chickn" stuff. A bag of their crispy chickn is 390 calories and 30g protein, and 13.5g fat.

• Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    olyrose wrote: »
    As a vegetarian, protein is the hardest for me to get. I have to really be intentional with every meal, because it's so easy to just overload on carbs and forget the protein.

My protein goal is about 120g a day. For breakfast i do egg whites, Morningstar vegetarian sausage links, and Dave's Killler Bread thins (about 30g total). Lunch I add black beans and some type of cheese to my salad (about 22g), and I have a protein shake in the afternoon (30g), and typically another snack, like cheese and crackers (about 10g).

I eat a lot of the Gardein "chickn" stuff. A bag of their crispy chickn is 390 calories and 30g protein, and 13.5g fat.

You should try to stay away from Morningstar as a vegetarian you must care about animals and they use milk and eggs from severely abused factory farmed cows and chicken! Amy's has great vegan sausages!