Meat alternatives in salads

Options
I'm gradually trying to give up meat and apart from fish have now done so. My problem is I have a salad everyday for lunch, which I really enjoy, but finding it hard to find tasty, healthy meat alternatives. I love tofu, not keen on falafel or beans so what else could I try?

Replies

• scubakat67
    scubakat67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I may not be much help, but what about chickpeas? Yes, they're "beans" but not like kidney or black beans. I frequently bring a salad with lots of spinach, romaine, broccoli slaw mix, chickpeas, roasted sunflower seeds and a little Monterey jack cheese.
  • helenrosec1
    helenrosec1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I do love chickpeas and beans, just not cold. For some reason I don't like the texture when cold.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Do you eat eggs? What about dairy?
  • Courtney_M_Mora
    Courtney_M_Mora Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You can make a "Mexican" salad with lots of black beans and corn. Add pico and avocados and maybe a lime/sourcream dressing and that would be good.

I love baked tempeh on my salads. I marinate it in a little soy sauce, rice vinegar and sesame oil...then whatever spices you like...I do garlic and ginger. Edamame is good on these as well.

Sometimes I get fake turkey slices and slice them up and put that on top of romaine with some tomato and light dressing.

If you get ground style TVP you can make a taco salad.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    You don't like beans, but I eat tons of salads with red kidney beans. I also eat tofu, use sunflower seeds and almonds for protein, and one of my favorite things to do is make a taco salad with faux ground beef (Morningstar vegetarian crumbles).
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Avocado or hard boiled eggs would be really good to bulk up and keep you satiated. :smile:
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm gradually trying to give up meat and apart from fish have now done so. My problem is I have a salad everyday for lunch, which I really enjoy, but finding it hard to find tasty, healthy meat alternatives. I love tofu, not keen on falafel or beans so what else could I try?

I've done salads without meat and put in yellow corn, green peas, black beans, chopped bell peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, croutons and I don't even miss the meat. Do you eat chicken still? I love chicken. I will fix it ahead of time and keep some leftover to put on salads.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Do you live in a place where you can get meat substitutes? Beyond Chicken is one of my favorites for salads, although Tofurkey makes a shredded "chicken" that is also quite good (and higher calorie). If I'm making something at home, I will usually marinate and bake some tofu and put it on salad.
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Walnuts, peanuts, almonds, cheese of all varieties, hard boiled eggs...I'm not a huge meat fan but I am trying to eat more because the days I don't I have a hard time getting enough protein.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    You can always toast your chickpeas. They get all crunchy and warm and delicious. I heat the oven to 400 and make sure they are dry if you use canned. Put on a cookie sheet with whatever spices ( i generally use paprika, chili powder and cumin) you like and cook for 30-40 minutes until they are brown and starting to pop a little.

You can also add grains to your salad like quinoa. It's full of protien and pretty tasty. Lentils kick *kitten* in salad. Oh, and tempeh. It's kinda like seitan, but made from soy instead of gluten. You will need to marinate the tempeh first. Like most soy it doesn't taste like much on its own. You can also add edamame or green peas. Green peas have as much protein as a cup of milk.
  • helenrosec1
    helenrosec1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions. I did eat chicken, but recently have not been enjoying it, the taste and texture. I'm going to try some faux chicken pieces and other vegetarian options like this. I am trying to give up eggs too, but cannot give up cheese, I already add a small amount to my salads. I'll hopefully get enough protein from fish, tofu, cheese and the vegetarian faux meats.
  • callmecarina
    callmecarina Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you marinade shiitake mushrooms in a beef type of marinade and cook it, I SWEAR it tricks me into thinking I'm eating beef. Eatsa in San Francisco does this REALLY well in their quinoa salad bowls. (Look at the picture of the Bento and Burrito bowls: https://www.eatsa.com/menu)
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Have you tried baked tofu? Delicious.

I also love the Gardein products. They have crispy "chicken" and also grilled chicken. Good protein and pretty tasty. I've been adding black beans and avocado to my salad for the extra protein lately.
  • smal48
    smal48 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Walnuts are yum in a salad.
    Halloumi is delicious but prob not what you're after in terms of healthiness.
    Olives are juicy and salty so can be a satisfying meat substitute.
    Grilled aubergine works really well with a lentil salad and has a chewy, juicy "meatiness" too.

• rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I often roast or grill lots of mushrooms, after they soaked in some marinade, to add to my salads I bring for lunch. If you get the shiitake as someone above suggested, baby portabellas or even oyster mushrooms, they add a great beefy texture and mushrooms are a good source of vitamins and minerals like zinc, manganese, vitamin D, folate, phosphorous, potassium and more.
  • Paiger816
    Paiger816 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I get those "100 Calorie" tuna packets and throw them in with my salad. Just dump it on when I'm ready to eat. They come in lots of good flavors like Lemon Pepper and Sweet N' Spicy (great on a salad with mandarin orange slices.) They have salmon packets as well.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    My fave non-meat salad proteins are beans, chickpeas, peanut butter (think Asian Satay dressing), nuts (watch the quantities!); hard boiled eggs, and shredded cheese (again, careful with the quantities!)
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I do love chickpeas and beans, just not cold. For some reason I don't like the texture when cold.

Try roasting them, they get crunchy almost like a nut.
  • Zipbsky
    Zipbsky Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Drained canned tuna is good, I eat that on salad 3x week. Also fake meat- Morningstar farms is good and if there is Wegman's near you their store brand is excellent. Marinated baked tofu is also good, but is pretty expensive if you don't make it homemade.