Tracking macros?

Options
I'm 5'7 and I have lost over 60 pound but have stopped losing. Haven't lost any in about a month. My waist hasn't really lost any inches either. I eat about 1200-1400 calories a day. Should I keep just counting calories or do I need to start tracking macros? I don't have many pounds left to lose but still have some fat I want to lose that won't come off.
If I should track macros, what should they be? Any recommendations?

Replies

• rmerrifi
    rmerrifi Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Start looking into a low carb diet like Keto, south beach, Atkins, or carb nite. Each of these have their merits depending on what you're looking for. Counting calories can only take you so far; focusing on macros and nutrient timing will take you to the next level. Just make sure to pick something you can stick to. Good luck and have fun!
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I respectfully disagree. There's no real reason to go low carb.. All the macros are necessary. I've had success with heavy lifting (heavy is a relative term!) and tracking my protein. I pay much less attention to how many fats and carbs I'm eating.. They just kinda fall where they will as long as I've gotten my protein. I've also been trying to eat at maintenance, although I'm suspicious that I'm in a very slight deficit.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Keep on plugging away, you've done a great job losing 60lbs :+1:

Start reining in your logging. Weigh absolutely everything you eat, and double check your entries to make sure they are correct. The last 10 or so lbs are very sloooow going. I'm there right now (4-5lbs from goal) and am lucky if I lose 1lb a month!
  • Courtney_M_Mora
    Courtney_M_Mora Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    First, congrats!!

I would agree with distinctlybeautiful. Make sure you are lifting!! Muscle burns fat all day long!! Though I would also make sure you aren't super high on carbs and refined/processed grains.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    rmerrifi wrote: »
    Start looking into a low carb diet like Keto, south beach, Atkins, or carb nite. Each of these have their merits depending on what you're looking for. Counting calories can only take you so far; focusing on macros and nutrient timing will take you to the next level. Just make sure to pick something you can stick to. Good luck and have fun!

No. Seriously, unless you're an elite level athlete/bodybuilder, there is no need to worry about such minor factors as nutrient timing.
    Switching to a fad diet will NOT help. The diets you list will only cause weight loss if they cause a calorie deficit. It thus makes more sense to just keep counting calories and maintain a deficit without adding in a bunch of derp and woo.
    Counting calories will take you as far as you want to go if the goal is weight loss.

OP, tracking macros has less to do with weight loss and more to do with proper nutrition. Your body needs a certain amount of fat (macro). You also need enough protein (macro) especially if you want to maintain muscle mass during weight loss or if you're lifting. You also need energy for workouts and day to day activity which you'll get from carbs (macro).

Check out this link.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

ETA: as for your stalled progress, run your calorie calculator again with your new stats. If you're eating as much as you were when you first started losing weight, it may be too much now that your not as big.
    Also, try to be as accurate with weighing and logging food as possible. The smaller you get, the less room there is for error.
  • Doit4theOMG
    Doit4theOMG Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm always reading different things about this subject. Some say just keep counting calories while others say to count macros. So I was wondering if it would help my weight loss if I counted macros since I don't have much to lose
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm always reading different things about this subject. Some say just keep counting calories while others say to count macros. So I was wondering if it would help my weight loss if I counted macros since I don't have much to lose

Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. Macros are for health and fitness. Some people find it easier to stay in a deficit when they're eating sufficient protein and/or fat or when they limit carbohydrates. But either way, your weight loss comes from being in a calorie deficit.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Counting calories is for weight loss.
    Tracking macros is for body composition (retaining/gaining muscle mass for a "toned" physique).
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    What type of exercise are you doing? I'm a big fan of counting macros, but your fitness routine might need a closer look if you want to shed those last 10. Strength work is critical in my opinion. If you aren't doing it, start! It will make you look and feel better. There are plenty of options in the forums here if you don't know how to get started.

Congratulations on your achievements!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'7" and lost 70 pounds but still had some fat that I wanted to lose. I started lifting weights with my husband about a year ago. By lifting, I mean barbells and dumbbells 3 days/week. I have gained 10 lbs, but lost the inches I wanted to lose. Seriously, 7 people TODAY have told me I look fabulous and my high school friend, Erin, said, "Girl, what are you doing? You look like sex on a stick!". I've know Erin since 4th grade, so I told her what I have been doing rather asking her what "sex on a stick" looks like.
  • CrossfitOCRunner
    CrossfitOCRunner Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Great question! the last few pounds are hardest to lose, so varying something like the intensity, duration and adding intervals to your exercise will help. some basic supplementation can help but is not necessary. some carb restriction may be warranted and ideally does create fat loss. calories is about half of it. macros, food quality and nutrient timing make up the rest. so definitely pay attention to the carbs, but you don't have to go keto, SB etc. I mean, for a contest prep/deep cut, you have to cut the carbs, but unless you are trying to go sub 10% then you don't need to get that drastic. you are nearly there! now the fun begins! busting plateaus can be a tough nut to crack but you will get it. feel free to message me as I haven't figured out how to keep up with these forums too effectively. :smiley:
  • rmerrifi
    Options
    True, I'm talking about fat loss not weight loss.

I'm assuming you want to lose these last few pounds primarily via fat stores. If that's the case, the easiest way to do so is to get the body to start using fat as its primary energy source. Limiting carbs forces the body to look elsewhere for energy, and the next most readily available source is fat.

Again, if fat loss is your primary goal, look into carb nite. If weight loss is your primary goal, simple calorie in vs calorie out will suit you just fine.
  • rmerrifi
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Counting calories is for weight loss.
    Tracking macros is for body composition (retaining/gaining muscle mass for a "toned" physique).

Yeah, what he said
  • Doit4theOMG
    Doit4theOMG Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yes fat loss is my goal. I'm already at healthy weight so losing pounds isn't a big deal to me now but I do want to lose inches of my waist. I mainly do cardio but been trying to add strength training into my routine. I'm terrible at counting macros hahah always seem to go over my goal for carbs
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Great question! the last few pounds are hardest to lose, so varying something like the intensity, duration and adding intervals to your exercise will help. some basic supplementation can help but is not necessary. some carb restriction may be warranted and ideally does create fat loss. calories is about half of it. macros, food quality and nutrient timing make up the rest. so definitely pay attention to the carbs, but you don't have to go keto, SB etc. I mean, for a contest prep/deep cut, you have to cut the carbs, but unless you are trying to go sub 10% then you don't need to get that drastic. you are nearly there! now the fun begins! busting plateaus can be a tough nut to crack but you will get it. feel free to message me as I haven't figured out how to keep up with these forums too effectively. :smiley:

ForceAwakens7Text.gif

• Carlos_421
    Options
    Yes fat loss is my goal. I'm already at healthy weight so losing pounds isn't a big deal to me now but I do want to lose inches of my waist. I mainly do cardio but been trying to add strength training into my routine. I'm terrible at counting macros hahah always seem to go over my goal for carbs

Check this out.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • cfrates1972
    cfrates1972 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I personally don't feel ONE approach fits all. There is science behind it all to a degree remember. Some insulin issues cause different reaction within 140g of carbs may work for you but NOT for me. You need to be analytical. Find the sweet spot. 1g of protein per pound is goal in MOST cases not all. 25% carbs is most. Remainder fat. That being said some need 45% carbs! and can get away with it. Me my body hates carbs anything over 25% I gain or stall.
  • AndiJH
    AndiJH Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've always been slim but recently started lifting heavier, and also tracking macros. The lifting has helped IMMENSELY in getting my body to look the way I want. I started small with 5lb Dumbbells and worked my way up, and do less cardio (but just can't quit my spin class!). I track my macros mostly to make sure I'm getting enough protein to feed my tired muscles, and not go too overboard on one macro over the others (I'd say in general if you're at 80% carbs, you're probably lacking the protein and healthy fats your body needs to be healthy anyway).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I personally don't feel ONE approach fits all. There is science behind it all to a degree remember. Some insulin issues cause different reaction within 140g of carbs may work for you but NOT for me. You need to be analytical. Find the sweet spot. 1g of protein per pound is goal in MOST cases not all. 25% carbs is most. Remainder fat. That being said some need 45% carbs! and can get away with it. Me my body hates carbs anything over 25% I gain or stall.

if you gain consistently or stall you are eating too much food not too many carbs...

limiting carbs due to a medical condition I get but to say it ensures weight loss is bogus science.

0.8 g of protein for lb of bodyweight.