Does anyone suffer from anxiety/panic attacks?

Options
cory_hudack
cory_hudack Posts: 24 Member
I have dealt with this for 15yrs now and it really affects how I work out. I can do cardio but if I push too hard it triggers the feeling of a panic attack. I'd like to try crossfit but I know they go super hard so this condition holds me back. Anyone else experience this and how do you deal with it?

Replies

• nicolebarnhill32
    nicolebarnhill32 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, it feels like you cannot get any air,i try to get my mind off it ...
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Zoloft!!!
  • cory_hudack
    Options
    Zoloft!!!

I take Effexor and it does work. But like I said when I workout and my heart rate is up that's when sometimes ok a lot of times the feeling of panic comes on and I have to slow it down. Very frustrating
  • JenRainbow1
    JenRainbow1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I used to. Then I got hold of a book called overcoming panic by helen kennedy.
    I used to get them in school assemblies! And I had them for years and the doctors didn't have a clue what was wrong. I managed to get through them with the help of the book. I basically had a panic attack and concentrated on my breathing and visualised a number in my head when I took a deep breath and let it out.
    The best thing to do is to push through it because avoidance only makes it worse.

Once I got over my panic attacks I had general anxiety for a while and I still get some anxious times and symptoms. I have to stick to mindfulness and yoga and learn to relax.
    This new exercise/weight loss is also helpful
    There's a lot of stuff online for help. Maybe try doing some power yoga that will push you a bit but also you help you to focus on the stress (Al bingham, yoga zone, free videos on youtube)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Yes, but not from working out...exercise helps alleviate the issue for me. I used to get panic attacks pretty frequently...I still get them, but they're much more rare the last few years since I've been eating better and exercising regularly.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Yes, but not from working out...exercise helps alleviate the issue for me. I used to get panic attacks pretty frequently...I still get them, but they're much more rare the last few years since I've been eating better and exercising regularly.

Same here. I haven't had an anxiety attack since I've started working out and watching calories. (knock on wood)
  • cory_hudack
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

If I workout lightly to moderate, I'm usually fine. But it's when I really get my heart rate up is when that awful feeling starts to come on and I have to stop what I'm doing. There's been times I've basically ran out of the gym in panic
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    You can't be afraid to trigger the effects or you get in a cycle of anxiety. I've learned over the years that it's just a chemical reaction in my body that causes them and I have to detach from it an do the motions, which eventually dissipates the feelings and I train myself to have less attacks because I feel I can handle them. It's taken years but I do pretty good.

Best of luck.
  • cory_hudack
    Options
    Same here. I haven't had an anxiety attack since I've started working out and watching calories. (knock on wood)[/quote]

I've always worked out and watched my calories as much as possible and the funny part is, watching calories gives me anxiety! Like I get worried I'm not eating enough and will die. Lol I'm so weird

• jen_bush
    jen_bush Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Yep, I get panic attacks and massive anxiety...but unfortunately working out doesn't help with the panic attacks, helps with the anxiety though. My panic attack triggers are just too unrelated to this, the only thing that helped me was getting a puppy. He's been with me for 2.5 years now and every time I feel a panic attack coming, I give him a cuddle and calm myself down in this way. anyways, good luck to you x
  • cory_hudack
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    You can't be afraid to trigger the effects or you get in a cycle of anxiety. I've learned over the years that it's just a chemical reaction in my body that causes them and I have to detach from it an do the motions, which eventually dissipates the feelings and I train myself to have less attacks because I feel I can handle them. It's taken years but I do pretty good.

Best of luck.

Omg, you are my new hero. I would love to just push through the feelings like you. Guess I can expect it to happen overnight if it's taken you years. I'll keep trying. Thanks!

• Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I find when my anxiety rises so does my ocd. My anxiety is all about irrational thoughts. Talking and exercise helps as did an article I read about becoming anti fragile. Add me if you want
  • cory_hudack
    Options
    jen_bush wrote: »
    Yep, I get panic attacks and massive anxiety...but unfortunately working out doesn't help with the panic attacks, helps with the anxiety though. My panic attack triggers are just too unrelated to this, the only thing that helped me was getting a puppy. He's been with me for 2.5 years now and every time I feel a panic attack coming, I give him a cuddle and calm myself down in this way. anyways, good luck to you x

I have a dog too and he definitely alleviates so much of my anxiety! I'm sure I'd be a full blown mess without him
  • wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    this is al pretty helpful, at least I don't feel like I'm the only one. Mine started a couple years ago and have died down a little once I figured out what was going on and learned to do some deep breathing. They don't hit me as much now, it seems if I don't get much sleep and i'm eating like crap, they hit me more often. I hate that feeling of gasping for air. I guess stress is a big trigger.
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I have massive anxiety (linked to my ADHD). Been diagnosed for both, and treated for the ADHD but I have stopped the meds because of too many side effects after years of taking them. Since stopping and a new job and a new flat, I've had some huge panic attacks and general periods of constant anxiety but fortunately working out and eating healthy helps. Cutting down (down, not out) processed sugar/coffee/tea helps too, or at least that's how I feel. I walk a lot also? Like even days when I can't workout, I try to hit at least 10,000/12,000 steps even if I'm super busy at work, and it feels like it helps me? not sure how to help you, either you push through but it can be super hard or you change your way of working out for things like walking, swimming, yoga, etc. Best of luck anyway!!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »

Best of luck.

Omg, you are my new hero. I would love to just push through the feelings like you. Guess I can expect it to happen overnight if it's taken you years. I'll keep trying. Thanks!

It is amazing the strength inside you when you look. Never easy or quick, but as you work through you get little bits of your life back. Have faith in yourself.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety attack too. You might be associating your anxiety attacks with elevated heart rate (which is usually associated with panic attacks). So when your heart rate goes above normal you automatically think you are having a panic attack. Maybe concentrate on your breathing and reassuring your self that that is what is suppose to happen (its not easy in that panic attack moment to do). I don't know If that makes a lot a sense but it helps me.
  • IAmAlessandroP
    IAmAlessandroP Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used to have them. I couldn't even leave the house. But exposure is the best medicine when it comes to anxiety. You have to tell yourself "that its just anxiety" what we fear is the symptoms of anxiety. Diaphragmatic breathing techniques help. Breathe in though your nose 3 counts and out 5 counts. Put your hand over your belly button and make sure your belly goes up and down. With anxiety we sometimes breathe through our chest which makes our breathes short and rapid causing us to be light headed and triggering our anxiety. I can tell you anxiety is something everyone can over come. I did it and in a month I will have a mental health degree. If you all need anymore advice please reach out to me or friend me. Oh yea I'm on Lexapro daily and Adavan when I feel the symptoms are too much for me. I haven't had to take the Adavan for about 6 months. You all can over come it I promise you!!! Also don't be afraid to talk about it to people. You have to normalize your anxiety. I could go on but I don't want to write a book. Like I said I'm here I have a wealth of knowledge. Take care y'all!!
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Same here. I haven't had an anxiety attack since I've started working out and watching calories. (knock on wood)

I've always worked out and watched my calories as much as possible and the funny part is, watching calories gives me anxiety! Like I get worried I'm not eating enough and will die. Lol I'm so weird

[/quote]

Suffered from panic for a number of years and found a counselor who specializes in PTSD, does a lot of work with vets. There are similarities in treatment, especially focused on cognitive therapy. So I recommend finding a therapist who practices cognitive, because overcoming a panic level of anxiety is about action therapy as opposed to purely talk therapy.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    odd i deal with anxiety issues and never had a problem with working out causing attacks

interesting to know though

oh and marijuana is the solution