Strength exercises to accompany a running regime

Options
Hi everyone,

I have recently completed C25K and am now trying to run 5K 3 times a week for cardio, but I think I should really start looking at trying to strengthen my muscles a bit on the other days or at the end of my run.

I can't afford a gym membership, so I am thinking about exercises I can do at home such as squats, sit ups, crunches etc, but I'm not really sure how many of each exercise I should do, or what sort of length of time the strength workouts should be for a beginner.

Can anyone recommend some good strength moves/workouts for someone fairly new to do at home?

Thank you for your help :smile:

Replies

• McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    Could look at a bodyweight program like "you are your own gym" or "convict conditioning". Those will give you a progressive program where you can make progress and not just spin your wheels so to speak.
  • JButlerEagle
    JButlerEagle Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am on week three of the C25K and also want to do some home strength training in between runs. I tried one at nerdfitness one but I'm wondering if it's too much leg work to do in combination with my running. Since I'm new to running, it seems like the running days are pushing my leg muscles and no days for those muscles to recover. I may look for one more upper body intensive. I have not yet pursued the other one I'm linking you but sounds like something I could achieve at home...
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/ http://www.moneycrashers.com/strength-training-exercises-women/
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Look at Jilian Michaels videos - some are available on youtube for free. I did her 30 day shred and it worked great. Even though it worked i realized i do not like working out by myself and prefer some company. However, you might like it. All you need is a set of weigths. The only set I have at home is 5lbs, so I used some cans and some water bottles when i needed something lighter: ).
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Runner's World and Men's Fitness and military workouts has a lot of info and all on line
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Try the Nike Training Club app. They have some great workouts.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I have recently completed C25K and am now trying to run 5K 3 times a week for cardio, but I think I should really start looking at trying to strengthen my muscles a bit on the other days or at the end of my run.

I can't afford a gym membership, so I am thinking about exercises I can do at home such as squats, sit ups, crunches etc, but I'm not really sure how many of each exercise I should do, or what sort of length of time the strength workouts should be for a beginner.

Can anyone recommend some good strength moves/workouts for someone fairly new to do at home?

Get a gym membership and start with SS or SL.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    strong curves is another option
    The book has a body weight program and some lifting programs if you ever decide to put together a home gym or join a gym
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    i'm in Week 6 of c25k, and thinking the same way!

I'm finding such great success with c25k that i've looked at a couple of progressive push-ups and sit-ups programs, available online for free.

The first time, you do as many push-ups as you can until you're exhausted, even if it's as low as one. You then find the program track for you based on that number, and it tells you how many push-ups to do (how many reps for each of three sets) three times a week. It lays out a full program to get you to some end point, usually 100 consecutive push-ups.

If you can't do any pushups to start, you can start by doing them against a wall, or inclined against a high counter/table/chair (something secure enough to support your shifting weight!).

Similar programs exist for sit-ups as well.

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi everyone,

She said in her post she can't afford a gym membership.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    Could look at a bodyweight program like "you are your own gym" or "convict conditioning". Those will give you a progressive program where you can make progress and not just spin your wheels so to speak.

^ Do this ^
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

The Y has free memberships for those who cannot afford them.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

The Y has free memberships for those who cannot afford them.

Well technically they have a sliding scale based on household income and offer rates accordingly.