Running an 8K on Saturday

GettingFit5551
GettingFit5551 Posts: 110 Member
edited April 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I signed up to run an 8K race on Saturday and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me on finishing this race without wearing myself out right away. I was planning on jogging slowly for the entire race so I can finish it, but there is a huge hill I will have to run up and after that it seems to be fairly level/downhill from there. Should I walk up the hill? Do you think I should alternate some jogging and walking to finish the race? What should I eat in the morning? I usually have a greek yogurt. Should I eat more than that for some more energy? I am not a morning exerciser normally. I realize this is not a marathon or anything, but 5 miles is a lot for me so I appreciate any input.

Thanks!
Tracy

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Huge? Define "huge". How high exactly is this hill?

You can slowly trod up the hill or walk up it after you get about half way up or feel too tired. There's no shame in that.

What to eat? Eat the same thing you normally eat before exercising in the morning. Change nothing.
  • GettingFit5551
    edited April 2016
    "Huge" meaning it is a very steep hill. I don't know the elevation. I am just going to try to slowly trod up and see how I feel.

Here is the map
    http://www.crazylegsclassic.com/course-info/
  • GettingFit5551
    Thank you Waffle
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    I always run up the hills, giving myself mental permission to stop for a walk when I get to the top. I often don't need to, because getting to the top of the hill makes me feel like a beast. :)

If 5 miles is a lot for you, then maybe alternating a walk/run would work better. How far do you usually run? You might do 2 miles, walk a quarter, 2 miles, walk a quarter, and then run the last half mile - fast.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    "Huge" meaning it is a very steep hill. I don't know the elevation. I am just going to try to slowly trod up and see how I feel.

Here is the map
    http://www.crazylegsclassic.com/course-info/

You need an elevation map to know that. Well, just try to enjoy it and have fun. I think that's the most important thing.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Give yourself some arbitrary rules. See how it goes, and refine for the next event.

For instance:
    • I will start the race running.
    • I will run at a comfortable pace.
    • I will finish the race running.
    • I will encourage at least ten fellow runners as i pass them.
    • If i need to walk, i will walk no more than 60 seconds.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Don't do anything new on race day. You don't want to change your clothes, shoes, or food on race day and find out that the change doesn't set well with you.

For me personally, I eat 1/4 cup of plain oatmeal. It's plain and bland so doesn't upset my stomach, but it's also carbs. I also won't drink coffee cause coffee makes me need to poop. I save the coffee for post-run.

If 5 miles is farther than you've ever run recently, I would do a run/walk combo, something like JeepHair said. I would pick a comfortable distance (1 or 2 miles) to run, walk for a minute or two, then run 1 or 2 miles again, and keep alternating until the finish line.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    I usually walk hills.

Just enjoy. I usually do better in races than on my own because I am motivated by all the other people.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Don't do anything new on race day. You don't want to change your clothes, shoes, or food on race day and find out that the change doesn't set well with you.

For me personally, I eat 1/4 cup of plain oatmeal. It's plain and bland so doesn't upset my stomach, but it's also carbs. I also won't drink coffee cause coffee makes me need to poop. I save the coffee for post-run.

If 5 miles is farther than you've ever run recently, I would do a run/walk combo, something like JeepHair said. I would pick a comfortable distance (1 or 2 miles) to run, walk for a minute or two, then run 1 or 2 miles again, and keep alternating until the finish line.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!

Everything she said! Key being nothing new on race day. If you run with music, make a good playlist and charge your iPod. Carry as little as you can. Assuming your race has water stops, don't carry water. If you're feeling good towards the end, pick up the pace for the last kilometer and finish with a sprint. The crowds will help with that :)
  • GettingFit5551
    I'm going to bump this thread. That time of year is coming up again and I'm gonna run in the race in April again this year. I was able to complete it for the 3rd year in a row, so, I guess I have to keep trying right? I think I will start running a little more on the treadmill and gradually as it warms up outside I will keep working up to 5 miles of running outside. :)