Vegan failing to meet protein goals

Options
Hello there! I'm living a vegan lifestyle, but lately I've been having a hard time meeting my nutrition goals. I work crazy shifts and don't have a lot of time to prepare food every day. I need some advice/ daily meal plans to help meet my nutrition goals. The most important right now is meeting (or at least coming close to) my protein goal which is 69g while still staying under my 30g daily fat goal. Thanks a bunch

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    em72313 wrote: »
    I need some advice/ daily meal plans to help meet my nutrition goals.

Ditch the vegan fad, don't eliminate an entire food group and join the majority.
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Add seeds, nuts, vegan dairy substitutes, vegan protein shakes, beans, meat analogs, more protein rich veggies.

I would honestly say don't worry so much about fat intake if it is unsaturated fat (which it should be if you're vegan).
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can really recommend is eating more protein dense foods.

My personal favorite is seitan. You can buy it premade or make it yourself... it's easy once you've done it a time or two. I make up several pounds at once and it generally lasts me the week.

Personally, I also eat things like Field Roast, tofurky, tempeh, tofu, soy, beans, edamame, quinoa... pretty much anything I can get my hands on that is protein dense. Some people will say nuts, but I find that nuts have too much fat per gram of protein (not that anything is wrong with fat, mind you)

Also, protein powders are your friend, in my experience.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    How important is it to hit the protein Mark MFP sets out for us? I can't get anywhere near what it says I need, and I'm only "veganish" most of the time. I eat lots of beans, dark leafies, quinoa, nuts. I would be eating constantly and going way over my calories if I tried to get anywhere near what my protein goals are supposed to be. I feel fine, never really hungry unless I do something stupid, and have plenty of energy and stamina.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    If it's default settings is most likely at or near the RDA or recommended daily allowance, which is a minimum :#

But, for preservation of lean mass and minimizing lean tissue losses during extended deficit, it's pretty important.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Fat is good. Only eat the carbs that also have lots of protein.
    If you are going to stay with the vegan plan, you need to drastically reduce fruits and breads.
    Eat beans, lentils, chic peas, tofu, soy milk, chia seeds, nuts, peanut butter, broccoli, kale, and so on.
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    When I was vegan I really struggled to reach my protein goal (although mine is a lot higher)
    Easiest way for me to do it was with a soy protein isolate shake.
    I'm not vegan now but mainly plant based, so still have at least a shake every day.
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I was temporarily vegan (for Lent only) and it wasn't TOO hard to meet protein goals with a bit of planning. I used a lot of higher-sodium packaged foods (meatless crumbles, burgers, etc.), so that may be a concern for some folks. I made fruit smoothies and added peanut butter and vegan protein powders (Sunwarrior's Warrior Blend or Designer Protein's Sunshine blend) when necessary.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and I aim to get at least 100g of protein a day, when my schedule gets crazy I will grab a protein shake, throw some nuts in my purse, and plan on having beans, quinoa, and/or something like tempeh for my big meals. My favorite vegan protein powder is Garden of Life - RAW Protein, it doesnt cause me to bloat like some others. If you are weary of powders, consider hemp seeds, they are delicious and very high protein.

Dont worry so much about your fat intake, stick with "healthy fats" like opalquartz mentioned :smiley: Good luck!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How important is it to hit the protein Mark MFP sets out for us? I can't get anywhere near what it says I need, and I'm only "veganish" most of the time. I eat lots of beans, dark leafies, quinoa, nuts. I would be eating constantly and going way over my calories if I tried to get anywhere near what my protein goals are supposed to be. I feel fine, never really hungry unless I do something stupid, and have plenty of energy and stamina.

You could check out some lower calorie sources of protein like tofu and protein powders or very protein-dense foods like tempeh and seitan. Once I began including these in my diet more regularly, I had no problem meeting my protein goals while staying within my calorie range.