Leptin? Overweight Stall

Options
HI!

Do you Guys know, how to progress further after a huge weightloss and now a stall ?

I heard multiple times to use refeeds (clean) to raise Leptin again. And also kickstart weight loss further.

How fast does Leptin fall to normal levels in obese after losing weight?

Are there any advice on this?

Most suggest 1 refeed /week.

I am right now mainly on protein (250g) and some fat (100g) and really low kcal (1800kcal) and STILL not losing.

Should I change macros?

Usually suggested is 1-1.5g/lean mass for protein.
Lyle McDonald suggests 2g.
Poliquin suggests 3g/bodyweight.

I tried before to restart keto and /or use cheatmeals but no success thus far. But now I am still on the same weight despite lower kcal (1800kcal now, before 2500kcal).

I also read often to not lower kcal to avoid yo-yo but there seems no success right now at all.. I also take measurements (waist, etc) but find it quite hard to measure accurately.

32 years
188cm
130kg
30% BF

weight training 3x a week

first meal: afternoon after weight training with whey + solid food

Replies

• eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    6'3" and 286 pounds

I think you're not counting calories correctly. You should be easily losing weight at 1800 calories. Also, at your bf%, I don't think that a weekly refeed is needed. Eat at maintenance one day a week if you like, if it keeps you psychologically satisfied. But physiologically, it shouldn't be a problem for you to go longer between refeeds.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    6'3" and 286 pounds

I think you're not counting calories correctly. You should be easily losing weight at 1800 calories. Also, at your bf%, I don't think that a weekly refeed is needed. Eat at maintenance one day a week if you like, if it keeps you psychologically satisfied. But physiologically, it shouldn't be a problem for you to go longer between refeeds.
    I agree. This is not a result of adaptations due to leptin or other hormones. Those typically don't happen in people with large quantities of weight still to lose, and even when they do happen, they would not account for a stall to occur with a deficit the size that you supposedly have created. I would examine your logging and tracking techniques especially if you are not weighing your food on a food scale.
  • Scaredycat2
    Scaredycat2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Just a quick math comment... if you are eating 250g protein and 100g fat each day - that's 1900 cal before you add in any carbs. Protein (250 x 4) + fat (100 x 9) =1900. Even if you're low carbing at 20-25g that's still around 2000, rather than the 1800 that you state. I think it might help you to get back to the basics of weighing and logging your calories accurately, rather than worrying about keto, hormones, refeeds etc.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Just a quick math comment... if you are eating 250g protein and 100g fat each day - that's 1900 cal before you add in any carbs. Protein (250 x 4) + fat (100 x 9) =1900. Even if you're low carbing at 20-25g that's still around 2000, rather than the 1800 that you state. I think it might help you to get back to the basics of weighing and logging your calories accurately, rather than worrying about keto, hormones, refeeds etc.

Good catch!
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Here's a snapshot of your diet (assuming your logging is accurate) for the past 8 days:

Carbs Fat Protein Calories*
    41 113 203 1993
    18 155 224 2363
    28 200 195 2692
    205 165 201 3109
    400 77 297 3481
    15 159 157 2119
    19 81 211 1649
    22 128 239 2196

*Calories were derived from your macros, not copied from MFP

Your average calories consumed is 2450, which is 650 per day higher than your estimate. It seems like you're just willfully ignoring what your diary is telling you, and instead choosing to believe that everything is somehow 1800 calories.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Here's a snapshot of your diet (assuming your logging is accurate) for the past 8 days:

Carbs Fat Protein Calories*
    41 113 203 1993
    18 155 224 2363
    28 200 195 2692
    205 165 201 3109
    400 77 297 3481
    15 159 157 2119
    19 81 211 1649
    22 128 239 2196

*Calories were derived from your macros, not copied from MFP

Your average calories consumed is 2450, which is 650 per day higher than your estimate. It seems like you're just willfully ignoring what your diary is telling you, and instead choosing to believe that everything is somehow 1800 calories.

I didn't know his diary was open but I just looked as well. OP, you RARELY eat as low as 1800 calories and some days you've gone almost double that amount. Also, if you aren't weighing everything you eat to the gram there is even more room for error on top of that. You're not stalling; you're eating too much food.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Additionally, it's likely that you're eating beyond the 2450 that you are currently logging. That's not a statement about honestly/etc, it's just that most people eat significantly more than they log.

Not likely related to leptin at all as Vismal pointed out.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    6'3" and 286 pounds

I agree. This is not a result of adaptations due to leptin or other hormones. Those typically don't happen in people with large quantities of weight still to lose, and even when they do happen, they would not account for a stall to occur with a deficit the size that you supposedly have created. I would examine your logging and tracking techniques especially if you are not weighing your food on a food scale.

I'd have to agree with both Jemhh and Vismal. Take a serious look at your logging. Look for things you're not logging (condiments, additives to recipes, the oddball snack, etc.). 1800 should be more than sufficient to lose weight for you, I was 6'2" and started at 305 using 1800 calories a day as my base all the way down to around 240 lbs. I only ate more when I did a lot of exercise and needed to eat some (but not all) of those calories back. I think around 240ish I dropped to 1650 or so per day as a base, but again, I always ate back about 20-30% of exercise calories and managed to average 2lbs a week loss. I learned pretty quickly how a lot of food items int he database were inaccurate and it was best to weigh everything by grams for accuracy.

• jemhh
    Options
    Dang it. I pretty much always look at diaries when they're open and I didn't with this one and I missed a lot.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    THAT HIGH of Protein is way over any standard I've seen (Livestrong lists 56 gr protein a day for men as the base, 46 for women) so eating almost 5X that may be an issue. There is a lot online to read on this.

Apparently the body can't store protein it doesn't use immediately..so it is converted, then stored…which will also stall you as you are only burning at your exercise levels.

Most Americans, and in better fed countries, the people just consume way too much protein.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    THAT HIGH of Protein is way over any standard I've seen (Livestrong lists 56 gr protein a day for men as the base, 46 for women) so eating almost 5X that may be an issue. There is a lot online to read on this.

Apparently the body can't store protein it doesn't use immediately..so it is converted, then stored…which will also stall you as you are only burning at your exercise levels.

Most Americans, and in better fed countries, the people just consume way too much protein.

sigh. False.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

I disagree with this.

There's ample evidence that protein intake above RDA (see Donald Layman's research for one example) has positive effects on skeletal muscle maintenance during dieting as well as other metrics like bone health/etc.

Protein also has a higher thermic effect which increases energy expenditure which is beneficial if the goal is weight loss.

I'm not sure what your point is about protein storage. Excess protein intake increases protein oxidation and blunts carbohydrate and fat oxidation. But in the end it's trivial because the only way fat accumulates is through consuming too many calories.

Regardless of what substrates comprise the additional energy intake, you will accumulate fat if you overeat calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/823505
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Poor kidneys...
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Um, you're not losing because you're frequently (90% of the time!) consuming over 1800 kcal per day, usually by 250-1800 kcals!