Prednislone/prednisone

Options
Zads86
Zads86 Posts: 6 Member
Been on steroids for the last 3 and half months. Started with 60mg and tapering at the moment. Obviously I have had weight gain along with the moonface and hunchback. Would be good to hear if someone else is going through similar situation to share diet tips etc and what works for them. Thanks

Replies

• Sinner2saint
    Sinner2saint Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Dealing with Crohn's I have been on Prednisone several times. It's really a lot of water weight that your body maintains while on it, but also there is a huge increase in appetite, not sure if somehow it blocks the messages to your brain telling you that you are full or not. Anyway, after you taper off completely you should start to return to normal and drop the weight fairly easy. Good luck!
  • nojuicejustjin_
    nojuicejustjin_ Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Prednisone is a double edged sword. Hated being on it and it's side effects were terrible! I'm a Crohnie and when I was on it I gained 50lbs in 2 months. Hope you taper off and can get back to feeling better!
  • Zads86
    Options
    Thanks guys much appreciated xx
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Another Crohnie here! I didn't gain on prednisone for some odd reason
  • nojuicejustjin_
    Options
    Another Crohnie here! I didn't gain on prednisone for some odd reason

You lucky duck lol
  • Zads86
    Options
    Yeah you are lucky lol!!xx
  • Zads86
    Options
    Is their any particular diet that worked for you guys?? Xx
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    I was on TPN and going to the bathroom 30 times a day when I was on prednisone so that's probably the reason I didn't gain ;)
  • Zads86
    Options
    Ah I see that must have been a bit rough. Thanks
  • nojuicejustjin_
    Options
    I was on TPN and going to the bathroom 30 times a day when I was on prednisone so that's probably the reason I didn't gain ;)

Ugh I was on ensure and going 15x a day still gained :( lol TPN is terrible though. Sorry about that. Glad you're better now
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    I'm in remission atm thanks to Remicade and azathioprine but still feel exhausted and crappy
  • nojuicejustjin_
    Options
    I'm in remission atm thanks to Remicade and azathioprine but still feel exhausted and crappy

I reacted adversely to Remi and 6mp. I'm not on a treatment right now which takes its tolls most days. Energy levels are all over the place and insomnia sometimes hits. Spoonie life!
  • singingflutelady
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Totally! I have an infection (thanks meds and fistulas!) so I am on cipro which is nasty.

Sorry about your reaction. I'm scared of that happening and having to go off
  • nojuicejustjin_
    Options
    I'm on Flagyl for CDiff lol I relate
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    I hope I don't get c diff from the cipro LOL
  • nojuicejustjin_
    Options
    LOL! Definitely hope not
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Isn't Crohn's fun?
  • nojuicejustjin_
    Options
    A blast! Lol -.-
  • nojuicejustjin_
    Options
    demo_man wrote: »
    I got really heavy at one point but I wear weight well. I've taken so many round for my Crohns but it's been about 3-4 years since my last one.

Don't even try and diet while on it, just do the best you can.

Yea I don't bother dieting while on it anymore.
  • nikkii231
    nikkii231 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I literally just put a post about prednisone, im on it for UC but weaning as it didn't work so having remicade instead which thankfully has, so i haven't gained while on prednisone but im starving all the time! Does the feeling go away once you come off? Im managing to just about maintain my weight but not loosing anything.