Morning workouts......

Options
My boss who is very much into his fitness and training has told me it is not good for your body (mainly your heart) to do high intensity cardio first thing in the morning as you havent given your body chance to wake up properly yet. Any comments on this please?

Replies

• rundgrenfan
    rundgrenfan Posts: 211
    Options
    I've heard this before, too.

But I know that if I hadn't gotten up at 5 am to go jog/walk this morning, I would never have done it once it was hot/cold/raining or once I got busy with the family. And it's probably a lot worse for my body to stay overweight than it is to wake up early and start sweating!
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 and cycle to work from 6.15 and feel great!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Firstly... I'd disregard anything my "boss" ever told me. Then... you're good to go! Follow your own heart.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    The best my body ever looked or felt was when I was running at 5:30 each morning. I don't know what the proper "science" is, but as in most things, I believe what works for me over the "science" of it anyday.
    So, if you workout in the morning and it is working for you, keep it up.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I've read that fasted cardio is the best fat burner b/c the burn continues long after you stop the cardio. I haven't read anything about HIIT first thing being detrimental. I would think it would be more true for someone that is not in the best of shape yet. If you have been exercising for a while doing cardio, I would think your heart is ready to go whenever you want it to. Getting out of bed and walking around will raise your heart rate above your resting HR. Have a little caffeine and get after it. When I run doing fasted cardio, I see my best and most consistent weight loss.
  • Ashlea_M
    Ashlea_M Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Firstly... I'd disregard anything my "boss" ever told me. Then... you're good to go! Follow your own heart.

hahahahaha I like this :)
  • Rachel_Leigh84
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I love working out first thing in the morning and Ive just started interval training so I think I will carry on with my early morning workouts, I always feel fine after so Im just going to go with it!!!!
  • stephiehampshire
    Options
    I get up and cycle to work at 7am on an empty stomache, and I eat when I get to work, I have found this actually sets me up for the day and makes me feel awake and ready to go. Could be because I cycle along the seafront so got all that lovely sea air ...... :)
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    I've always heard the opposite, that it's better to work out first thing. Basically what Runningneo said. I wear a bodybugg that tracks my calorie burn all day long. I notice if I do something in the morning (be it HIIT, Turbo, etc) by the end of the day I've burned a few extra hundred calories.
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    Early morning workouts are the best for me. I have a hard time getting motivated after the mental drain from work. One of my favorite activities is the step class at the gym from 5:15-6:00... I feel energized and accomplished. But lately, I have been running at 5:30. Listen to your body... If it works for you then go for it.
  • sezp
    sezp Posts: 69
    Options
    I get up and cycle to work at 7am on an empty stomache, and I eat when I get to work, I have found this actually sets me up for the day and makes me feel awake and ready to go. Could be because I cycle along the seafront so got all that lovely sea air ...... :)

This sounds like my ideal commute :-)
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 430 Member
    Options

I think your boss just wants you to get to work earlier ;)
  • Rachel_Leigh84
    Options

Hahahaha yeah probably!!!!
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    That's bizarre. I run every morning and haven't experienced any of what they found in the study. I don't get sick any more often than B4 I started running. Quite the opposite, actually. One time that I did catch a head cold, I continued to run every AM( a little bit of a struggle starting out) and the cold took the same amount of time to be gone. I also noticed that I had more energy for the rest of the day and could breathe better after I ran on those sick days.
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • denisepep
    denisepep Posts: 6
    Options
    That's bizarre. I run every morning and haven't experienced any of what they found in the study. I don't get sick any more often than B4 I started running. Quite the opposite, actually. One time that I did catch a head cold, I continued to run every AM( a little bit of a struggle starting out) and the cold took the same amount of time to be gone. I also noticed that I had more energy for the rest of the day and could breathe better after I ran on those sick days.

The study looked at a very specific group. Elite swimmers with an average age of 18. I'm not sure the results would apply to me!
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options

I'd tend to eat 2 slices of toast with marmite before I set off as I would be rather lightheaded by the time I arrived
  • Rachel_Leigh84
    Options
    Yes thats another thing, I find it hard to eat anything as soon as I get up so I do it on an empty stomach too. It used to make me feel a little light headed but it doesnt any more.