Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Tabata or HIIT

Question out there to all you wise souls. Which is better tabata or HIIT. They seem quite similar to me. What's the difference

Replies

• melittadomiadsum
    melittadomiadsum Posts: 1 Member
    Tabata ive been training for about 4 months 4-5 days a week.built some lean muscles for me it works fine 1t3ulzivq5oq.jpeg
  • Wow and were you losing weight or building muscle when you started?
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Tabata is HIIT
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    Tabata is HIIT

^yeah, this.

Also, the type of workout that would be best for you will depend on a number of factors which you haven't provided (i.e. time available, weight goals, strength goals, etc.).
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Tabata is HIIT, but not all HIIT is Tabata. True tabata is a specific form of HIIT, specific interval to recovery ratio, specific anaerobic intensity, 8 rounds, etc.
    Personally I prefer switching it up. I find Tabata useful, but I believe a more well rounded routine includes differing interval lengths. I also prefer to do HIIT for longer, so I often modify my interval lengths and intensities so I can make my time goal.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    Tabata is HIIT
    But HIIT isn't Tabata. Many people "claim" to do Tabata, but it's rare that I've witnessed anyone doing it correctly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Tabata ive been training for about 4 months 4-5 days a week.built some lean muscles for me it works fine 1t3ulzivq5oq.jpeg

sorry, but you are not building "lean muscle" by doing tabata....

OP - the answer is neither is "better"..do what allows you to reach your fitness and health goals.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Question out there to all you wise souls. Which is better tabata or HIIT. They seem quite similar to me. What's the difference

Tabata is a very defined protocol. HIIT is a massively over-used term and is fast becoming a marketing hook rather than an exercise description.

Which is better for me?
    Neither - both inappropriate to my fitness goals, training schedule and fitness level.

Which is better for you?
    No idea - what are your goals? Capabilities? Which HIIT routine are you thinking of? Do you enjoy that type of training? What other training are you doing?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I do hill repeats on the bike on Tuesdays.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    I've done spin classes where one segment was a tabata beat. In that mode I liked it because I could bang all out and see how high I could get the Watts for 15 or 20 seconds. Can't maintain 500W for long But I found I could get there fr 15 of the 20 second high. Feel the Burn. :dizzy:
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

sorry, but you are not building "lean muscle" by doing tabata....

OP - the answer is neither is "better"..do what allows you to reach your fitness and health goals.

So if I was to output effort at 30 calories a minute I could make no gains? That's like saying lifting heavier won't help.

True Tabata protocol is no joke, and I'd have to imagine that many if not most would see strength gains. Calculate that 170% of VO2max and do it, then get back to us on how it won't help.

As for the original question from the OP, I'm in the camp that HIIT at intensities below Tabata is also helpful, but the specifics of what is better or best would probably be goal influenced.