Low fat & low carb possible for weight loss success?

Options
13»

Replies

• KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    How can 40% carbs claim to be "low carb"??

Exactly. 150g is NOT low carb, by low carb standards. Heck, my 75 is considered high in their world. But I guess when you consider most people probably eat well over 200 a day, 150 is lower. 75 works for me, gives me plenty of flexibility and doesn't leave me feeling cheated. I make my carbs count (veggies and fruit) and it's working.
  • KaysKidz
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »
    KaysKidz wrote: »
    a good place to start is 1 carb per pound of body weight.

Maybe if I weighed 100lbs!!! But when you are obese, that's a LOT of carbs!! 1 carb per pound of IDEAL body weight might be more appropriate.
    when you are obese you need a lot of fuel.

I fuel my body with protein and fats. Carbs I keep to 75g. I'm obese. Well, for now. Don't plan on being this way forever. I would never be satisfied if I ate my weight in carbs. Give me a steak and salad thank you very much! :wink:

Some people are trying to do activities that carbs are useful for (as should everyone losing fat). I know all about keto and low carb, that does nothing to argue the fact that 1g of carbs per lb is a decent starting point for most people. Oh, and you can eat steak, salad and carbs by the way ;)

Like I said, I'm obese. I'm not out trying to run a marathon. I don't need the energy from a bunch of carbs. I need to lower my calorie intake, and for me, the easiest most sustainable way to do that is to reduce my carbs. By eating higher protein, I'm staying satisfied longer, less likely to snack....and if I do, it's almost always nuts or jerky. I cut out the crap carbs that don't offer nutritional value and keep the healthy ones...veggies and some fruit. And wine. Got to keep the wine. :wink:
  • INFPerseverance
    INFPerseverance Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    150 grams is my max on maintenance while working out 3 -5x a week (including weight-lifting). I never claimed 40% was low carb; however, given the typical American diet and the customary 65% it is fairly low. If you're working towards weight loss 50 - 100 grams of carbs works well. Anything below 50 grams then you're talking about ketosis which can work well for weight loss too but is difficult to maintain.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Some people are trying to do activities that carbs are useful for (as should everyone losing fat). I know all about keto and low carb, that does nothing to argue the fact that 1g of carbs per lb is a decent starting point for most people. Oh, and you can eat steak, salad and carbs by the way ;)

Carbs are optional. You pulled that ratio out of your [kitten]

First of all I never mentioned a ratio. Second I was just saying a way to estimate how many carbs to eat for someone who has no idea. Carbs are optional, unless you want to be a successful athlete. Some keto people are so black and white, and I have eaten keto myself for long stretches of time. Get over it, different diets work for different people.
  • eeejer
    Options

Maybe if I weighed 100lbs!!! But when you are obese, that's a LOT of carbs!! 1 carb per pound of IDEAL body weight might be more appropriate.

I fuel my body with protein and fats. Carbs I keep to 75g. I'm obese. Well, for now. Don't plan on being this way forever. I would never be satisfied if I ate my weight in carbs. Give me a steak and salad thank you very much! :wink:

Like I said, I'm obese. I'm not out trying to run a marathon. I don't need the energy from a bunch of carbs. I need to lower my calorie intake, and for me, the easiest most sustainable way to do that is to reduce my carbs. By eating higher protein, I'm staying satisfied longer, less likely to snack....and if I do, it's almost always nuts or jerky. I cut out the crap carbs that don't offer nutritional value and keep the healthy ones...veggies and some fruit. And wine. Got to keep the wine. :wink:

OK, but this thread is not about you, and I am not trying to convince you personally to eat carbs. We were just talking about an amount that is sane for the average person.
  • eeejer
    Options
    macros < calories, it is that simple.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    How can 40% carbs claim to be "low carb"??

Exactly. 150g is NOT low carb, by low carb standards. Heck, my 75 is considered high in their world. But I guess when you consider most people probably eat well over 200 a day, 150 is lower. 75 works for me, gives me plenty of flexibility and doesn't leave me feeling cheated. I make my carbs count (veggies and fruit) and it's working.

in the low carb world, 150g and under is considered low carb. 75g might be high in terms of keto, but low carb and keto are not the same thing
  • DennisA70
    DennisA70 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Your calorie intake is comprised of Carbs, Fat and Protein. If you lower one, one (or both) of the others will have to increase (if calorie intake is the same). So a Low-Fat/Low-Carb diet is a High Protein diet.
  • KaysKidz
    edited April 2016
    Options

OK, but this thread is not about you, and I am not trying to convince you personally to eat carbs. We were just talking about an amount that is sane for the average person.

Then quit quoting my posts!
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Hit your minimum protein (.8g-1g/lb of LBM) Hit minimum fat (25g/1k calories) then play with the rest to see how you feel. I personally get major sugar cravings if my carbs get up over about 40% so I try to stick to about 30% to give some wiggle room. The rest seems irrelevant, high fat, high protein doesn't seem to have much of an effect on satiety for me..
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Protein fat carbs... And alcohol. The fourth macro