Problems Controlling Myself Around Food

Options
In August I told myself that I would start running and then gradually work on the diet portion. So I started running, and I continue to run to this day - no problem. I added in other exercises - no problem. I powered through some pretty terrible runs where I wanted to stop running completely, but I kept going.
Exercise: check.

But the diet change never happened. I've been trying since August and for some reason I just can't bring myself to stick to it. I've tried 1200 calories, I've tried more. I've tried eating small amounts throughout the day, I've tried saving all my calories for the evening. I haven't been able to force myself to stick to anything.

I know losing weight will make running faster and easier, I know what it takes to lose weight. I know it's a choice to eat too much every day (and no, it's not due to hunger from the exercise - I eat when I'm not even hungry). I know all of these things, but I'm still no closer to losing weight or maintaining it.

I'm mostly just getting frustrated that I can't stick with something that I know works for more than a week or a week and a half. It also frustrates me that everyone thinks that changing your diet is the easy part and exercise is the hardest part. Exercise for me was an easy adjustment - I enjoy it (or at least feel compelled to do it). Go for a run, lift some weights - easy peasy. Changing my diet? Apparently Hell will freeze over before I'm willing to do that.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you're not willing to change your diet, you aren't willing to change your diet. You're the only person who can make that decision. I'm not sure why you'd be frustrated that many people find changing the diet the easy part and exercise the hard part. Everybody is different and what your neighbor thinks doesn't really affect you. You focus on you.
  • electrickazoo
    electrickazoo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If you're not willing to change your diet, you aren't willing to change your diet. You're the only person who can make that decision. I'm not sure why you'd be frustrated that many people find changing the diet the easy part and exercise the hard part. Everybody is different and what your neighbor thinks doesn't really affect you. You focus on you.

I guess I should rephrase. I'm frustrated with myself, and that I can't do the "easy part".
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Some of this requires you to just force yourself to do it. No one can do it for you. Try making small changes to your diet instead of drastic changes. Maybe the first week, cut out sodas for more water and substitute Splenda or Stevia in your tea, coffee, etc. The next week, try adding more veggies. Then eliminate processed foods, then change your carbs to whole grain carbs, etc. Some people need to do the diet change in small steps, while others need to just make the change and go with it.

I did find something that's helped me a bit--MealEnders. It's a lozenge that has a sweet layer followed by a hard candy. It kind of cleanses the palate and gives you about twenty minutes to finish the lozenge, which will then give your brain and stomach time to realize you're full. They're a little pricey, but they might help you develop a better habit. It takes about 21 days of consistently doing something different to break a habit, so maybe try that and see if it helps. I don't use them all the time, but when I feel that urge to eat more than I should, I use one and it helps.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't ever call diet the "easy part", so trust me you're not alone. Sometimes it's just really hard to not eat the tasty things that you want. What do you typically do when you want to eat? Do you eat and then log or log then eat? Sometimes logging something you're thinking about can really help deter you from eating just because you want something, when you're not actually hungry. Maybe try just being more mindful when you eat? I'm struggling with this a lot, too :/ If you want to add me, we can chat more.
  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Like jemhh said, you need to get inside of you and answer why you can't change your eating. You are the only one who knows and you are the only one who can change your eating. My two cents maybe you need more motivation. Starting is the hardest part. Have you tried to plan with a nutritionist?
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    kandell wrote: »
    I wouldn't ever call diet the "easy part", so trust me you're not alone. Sometimes it's just really hard to not eat the tasty things that you want. What do you typically do when you want to eat? Do you eat and then log or log then eat? Sometimes logging something you're thinking about can really help deter you from eating just because you want something, when you're not actually hungry. Maybe try just being more mindful when you eat? I'm struggling with this a lot, too :/ If you want to add me, we can chat more.

I'd agree--diet is not the "easy part" for me either. I love carbs (potatoes, pasta, etc.) and sweets. It's tough to stay away from the sweets and make the switch to whole grain carbs. For me, I just had to tell myself, "suck it up, buttercup--if you want to lose, this is what you have to do". I find that if I shop for groceries right after a workout, I buy better stuff. I don't want to buy anything that will sabotage all the hard work I just did! And I've found substitutes for sweets so I don't have to deprive myself. Breyers' salted caramel swirl sugar-free ice cream is my go-to treat. If I've worked out and eaten well that day, I allow myself some in the evening.
  • AngelinaB_
    Options
    I guess I should rephrase. I'm frustrated with myself, and that I can't do the "easy part".

It's not easy at all to change your eating. But it's not impossible.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way you do. I've been really committed to going to the gym or running at least 4-5 days a week. It's the diet part I struggle with too. I like snacky stuff.

What I find works for me is to pre-log/pre plan my snacks. Then, I just make my meals fit around them. It's easier to eat a bunch of veggies and lean protein for meals if I know that leaves me enough calories for some chocolate and a beer.

Is it changing what you eat that is hard or logging it? I thought for the longest time that I didn't want to change what I was eating, but what I discovered after a year of trying and failing was that I really just hate logging food. Without logging food I lie to myself and say I'm doing great when I'm not. Once I resigned myself to logging food again the weight loss picked back up.

I do go through a period about every 6 months or so where I just stop logging. I'm guessing, that like anything, it should get easier the more I do it. (although you'd think 3 years would be sufficient to get my stuff together)
  • AngelinaB_
    Options
    You don't have to deprive yourself of any food group,,, just learn how to eat them on a way that fit your daily calorie intake, your taste and your lifestyle.
  • ICFTruK
    ICFTruK Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    1200 Calories? What are you a 10 year old child?
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Firstly, why do you have to change it all at once? If you like exercising, keep doing that! Do more of it! Once you get into a habit of regular exercise then just try cutting back a little here and there. Stop drinking sodas or juice or alcohol and switch to water, sparkling water, tea, or coffee. Try eating slower, that helps me a good amount. Doing a bunch at once won't help, and neither will beating yourself up. Celebrate the little victories! Each one adds up.

I've had this exact issue, especially with overeating. Eating is so good, and food tastes so goooood! It's really hard. What I found that worked is trying EVERYTHING to see what I could do and couldn't do. Eventually, I realized that I have to not have snacky foods at home (chips, candy, cake, basically sugars and that kind of stuff) and beer/alcohol because I eat too much of it and can't stop myself. This works for ME, and I have no idea what will work for you, you have to figure that out.

Try that, try pre-logging, try meal prepping (this helps me a lot and saves me a lot of time) or try eating a lot slower and drinking water between each bite, it's hard to say what will work best. DON'T DEPRIVE YOURSELF! Cutting things out and going too low on calories usually doesn't work, especially if you're trying to change a bunch of things at once.

You can do it! Keep at it! Friend me if you want support.
  • electrickazoo
    Options
    kandell wrote: »

I've tried both ways - prelogging and logging after. It doesn't seem to make any real difference. I will say prelogging makes me hesitate, but I still eat it. Maybe it's just a habit that I need to replace with something else
  • electrickazoo
    Options
    ICFTruK wrote: »
    1200 Calories? What are you a 10 year old child?

I said I tried it. I also tried more calories.
  • electrickazoo
    Options
    kmbrooks15 wrote: »
    Some of this requires you to just force yourself to do it. No one can do it for you. Try making small changes to your diet instead of drastic changes. Maybe the first week, cut out sodas for more water and substitute Splenda or Stevia in your tea, coffee, etc. The next week, try adding more veggies. Then eliminate processed foods, then change your carbs to whole grain carbs, etc. Some people need to do the diet change in small steps, while others need to just make the change and go with it.

I did find something that's helped me a bit--MealEnders. It's a lozenge that has a sweet layer followed by a hard candy. It kind of cleanses the palate and gives you about twenty minutes to finish the lozenge, which will then give your brain and stomach time to realize you're full. They're a little pricey, but they might help you develop a better habit. It takes about 21 days of consistently doing something different to break a habit, so maybe try that and see if it helps. I don't use them all the time, but when I feel that urge to eat more than I should, I use one and it helps.

Ridiculously enough, the items in my diet aren't all that bad. I actually eat pretty healthy in general. I just eat way too much. I'll try piling on the veggies for snacks and see how it goes.
  • jadasanders14
    jadasanders14 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have so much of an issue with my diet. I am great at work, I meal plan, bring my lunch, snacks and breakfast smoothie to work... Whenever I get home, however, I graze. I have a 3 year old little boy who has a killer metabolism, he is constantly active (sports, riding dirtbikes, etc) and eats a lot... so I keep a lot of convenience foods around... not necessarily unhealthy stuff... I just eat too much! I am working on it though. Feel free to add me, we can support each other :smile:

I'm a fitbit user
    https://www.fitbit.com/user/3NJ5TW
  • rachellech
    rachellech Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, this thread is a God-send. I have been struggling with the food part myself. Exercise is easy for me to do and the only reason why I'm not as big as I am. Exercise keeps me at an average build but inside I'm an athlete trying to get out. However, I deal with depression and it hits me in odd moments. Been dealing with it since I was a child...did therapy, psychiatrists, meds, institutionalized, church, meditation, group therapy, trainers, you name it...nothing. When it gets real bad, I become suicidal...even called the hotline but they were no help either. Mom used to help when I got dark (she would just say fight for me) but she passed away and so now I stay productive (work/chores) because of my dog kids...they help me smile when I don't think I can. The only way to stop the pain in my mind is to binge (not even hungry) till my stomach hurts and then I just have to concentrate on that physical pain until I fall asleep and then start the next day. I'm fine during the day at work because people are watching me but at home (even after going to the gym) I get inundated with the thoughts. My brother is the same but he doesn't binge but cuts himself. I know it is disturbing and scary...trust me I'm petrified and pray for help but since elementary school I have been dealing with this and I'm 38yrs old now...it takes its toll on you.

Mental illness is hard and sometimes the more you ask for help, people tend to just want to lock you up away so they don't have to deal with you anymore. I didn't ask for this but I'm trying my hardest to fight it. I had a long period where there were no thoughts late last year and I made progress with my health and even got rid of my diabetes medicine and lost 40lbs. Unfortunately one of my dogs passed from cancer and it devastated me...was very suicidal but I pulled myself together after 3-4months because of my remaining two dogs. I returned to my workouts and got stronger and then last week the thoughts came again (out of the blue - I don't recall seeing any triggers) and now I can't shake it off. Been binging on loaves of bread and ice cream (scared my sugar is going to spike again). I scream/cry but I can't get away from myself so I succumb to the binges at night so I can get through the evening and then go to work in the morning so I can support myself and my dogs. Its a horrible existence because my sanity and life is depending on the survival of my dogs, because they are the only ones keeping me sane right now. I no longer accept dates because never found a good/nice guy and additional stressors is not ideal for me right now. I have associates but no true blue friend so I'm pretty isolated.

Based on past experiences, the thoughts will eventually stop but yet again I will have to start all over again....feels like I will never get to my goals (want to compete in fitness one day like Oksana Grishina and do extreme sports). I keep a fake perky attitude in public so I don't depress people around me and also the times I was vulnerable, it felt like I made people uncomfortable since they didn't know how to help me. Just want to feel alive and hopeful. Life is so short, I don't want this to be my legacy.

I know now people can't help me and I'm not saying all of this for people to feel obligated or responsible for me. I just needed to purge this out of my system. I'm a fighter and God-willing I will keep fighting.

electrickazoo - you are probably not as extreme as me, but I just wanted to say I understand your frustration.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

The diet isn't the easy part. Why do you think so many people start "working out" to lose weight but never actually lose anything?

It's okay to feel frustrated with yourself. But at some point, if you want the change, you have to take the plunge and do it. Have you tried banking calories for the weekend so that you can enjoy some extra good food then? It's nice to have that to look forward to during the week.
  • Lukdbestucan16
    Lukdbestucan16 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    In August I told myself that I would start running and then gradually work on the diet portion. So I started running, and I continue to run to this day - no problem. I added in other exercises - no problem. I powered through some pretty terrible runs where I wanted to stop running completely, but I kept going.
    Exercise: check.

But the diet change never happened. I've been trying since August and for some reason I just can't bring myself to stick to it. I've tried 1200 calories, I've tried more. I've tried eating small amounts throughout the day, I've tried saving all my calories for the evening. I haven't been able to force myself to stick to anything.

I know losing weight will make running faster and easier, I know what it takes to lose weight. I know it's a choice to eat too much every day (and no, it's not due to hunger from the exercise - I eat when I'm not even hungry). I know all of these things, but I'm still no closer to losing weight or maintaining it.

I'm mostly just getting frustrated that I can't stick with something that I know works for more than a week or a week and a half. It also frustrates me that everyone thinks that changing your diet is the easy part and exercise is the hardest part. Exercise for me was an easy adjustment - I enjoy it (or at least feel compelled to do it). Go for a run, lift some weights - easy peasy. Changing my diet? Apparently Hell will freeze over before I'm willing to do that.

I know this feeling.i struggle with this all the time.Especially in the evenings.Sometimes I totally get out of control..As for a 1200 calories I find it really hard..Iam totally out.lol..Just keep trying one day you will have your breakthrough and Pray too to God to help you break this habit.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Find more activities to keep you occupied outside of your home? Yard work? A hobby? Mindless eating can often stem from simply being bored. If you're a foodie it may also help to break from that for a while and find other activities that you enjoy.
  • Lukdbestucan16
    Lukdbestucan16 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    rachellech wrote: »
    Hi everyone, this thread is a God-send. I have been struggling with the food part myself. Exercise is easy for me to do and the only reason why I'm not as big as I am. Exercise keeps me at an average build but inside I'm an athlete trying to get out. However, I deal with depression and it hits me in odd moments. Been dealing with it since I was a child...did therapy, psychiatrists, meds, institutionalized, church, meditation, group therapy, trainers, you name it...nothing. When it gets real bad, I become suicidal...even called the hotline but they were no help either. Mom used to help when I got dark (she would just say fight for me) but she passed away and so now I stay productive (work/chores) because of my dog kids...they help me smile when I don't think I can. The only way to stop the pain in my mind is to binge (not even hungry) till my stomach hurts and then I just have to concentrate on that physical pain until I fall asleep and then start the next day. I'm fine during the day at work because people are watching me but at home (even after going to the gym) I get inundated with the thoughts. My brother is the same but he doesn't binge but cuts himself. I know it is disturbing and scary...trust me I'm petrified and pray for help but since elementary school I have been dealing with this and I'm 38yrs old now...it takes its toll on you.

Mental illness is hard and sometimes the more you ask for help, people tend to just want to lock you up away so they don't have to deal with you anymore. I didn't ask for this but I'm trying my hardest to fight it. I had a long period where there were no thoughts late last year and I made progress with my health and even got rid of my diabetes medicine and lost 40lbs. Unfortunately one of my dogs passed from cancer and it devastated me...was very suicidal but I pulled myself together after 3-4months because of my remaining two dogs. I returned to my workouts and got stronger and then last week the thoughts came again (out of the blue - I don't recall seeing any triggers) and now I can't shake it off. Been binging on loaves of bread and ice cream (scared my sugar is going to spike again). I scream/cry but I can't get away from myself so I succumb to the binges at night so I can get through the evening and then go to work in the morning so I can support myself and my dogs. Its a horrible existence because my sanity and life is depending on the survival of my dogs, because they are the only ones keeping me sane right now. I no longer accept dates because never found a good/nice guy and additional stressors is not ideal for me right now. I have associates but no true blue friend so I'm pretty isolated.

Based on past experiences, the thoughts will eventually stop but yet again I will have to start all over again....feels like I will never get to my goals (want to compete in fitness one day like Oksana Grishina and do extreme sports). I keep a fake perky attitude in public so I don't depress people around me and also the times I was vulnerable, it felt like I made people uncomfortable since they didn't know how to help me. Just want to feel alive and hopeful. Life is so short, I don't want this to be my legacy.

I know now people can't help me and I'm not saying all of this for people to feel obligated or responsible for me. I just needed to purge this out of my system. I'm a fighter and God-willing I will keep fighting.

electrickazoo - you are probably not as extreme as me, but I just wanted to say I understand your frustration.

Soo sorry..I pray you get better .never stop hoping.