Problems Controlling Myself Around Food

Options
2»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    I think making small changes is the best way. Baby Steps.

Do one thing differently this week that will push you in the right direction. Maybe it's not eating _ _ _ _ _ _. Maybe it's drinking a lot more water. Maybe it's a 30 minute walk (instead of an hour run.)

For me, logging food is the best start. Doing it consistently leads to my making better choices throughout the day. Maybe not in the first week, but over time.

I also have times when I just have to have a particular food, so I do. I still log it and by paying attention to my Food Diary over time I learn to choose healthier alternatives most of the time. I don't think anyone does it perfectly.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You have to want it bad enough, and more than the food. That's the bottom line and nobody can do that for you. If it was easy, everyone would do it.
  • stmokomoko
    stmokomoko Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Find more activities to keep you occupied outside of your home? Yard work? A hobby? Mindless eating can often stem from simply being bored. If you're a foodie it may also help to break from that for a while and find other activities that you enjoy.

This. After you eat your prelogged meal, get out of the house, or be away from food. Go to the park, or some hiking trail, anywhere where there's no food around within reach.

If your self-control is weak, don't be where temptation is.
  • CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I know I struggle with eating within my calorie range and for me personally there are many reasons why. One of them is that the results are not immediate. Another is that I know it doesn't help to eat within your calorie range for a week or a month or even a year, this is something I need to do for the rest of my life (of course with some days that its ok to go over, I just mean in general). However, that said, I know that if I can get myself to start eating within my calorie range for a month or so and I start to see results, it really helps me continue. So perhaps one suggestion would be to take this in baby steps. For example make a goal to eat within your calorie range for a month (perhaps with 2 days where you can go over, up to you) and then evaluate your progress and see how you feel. You might be surprised to learn that after a month you are willing to continue to put in the hard work of staying within your calorie range because you are so happy with the benefits of the pounds you lost.

Is this hard to do? Yes it is, its very hard to do but I think the results are worth it. And there are lots of helpful ideas and lots of support on this web site. This is the best place to be to lose weight.
  • rachellech
    rachellech Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    gougougirl - thanks for the kind words.
  • wuwu90
    wuwu90 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    So long as ur eating at a deficit you should slowly but surely lose weight. If 1200 calories is too difficult thats okay. What kick started my weight loss was for about a month i would semi-stick to a 1200 calorie diet; id have 1200 calories of food split relatively evenly into 5 meals a day (all pre-planned). However i would not include non-starchy vegetables (low calorie, high nutritient) into my calorie count, this meant that i could snack on unlimited amount of those whenever i got hungry.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    So, I do have a question. When you can't stick to the 1200 calories what are your average calories consumed per day? I ask because 1200 calories is just too low for me. Especially if I'm exercising. I just get hangry and mean and eat. But I moved my weight loss goal to a pound a week and get 1450 calories plus exercise and it is not quite the struggle. I'm only moderately b!tchy on 1450 and if I burn 300 calories from exercise I eat back half to all of them. It's probably why I can commit to exercise. It's like a little reward every day.
  • lizzelspark
    lizzelspark Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem it's hard to eat healthy and easy to workout . A trainer told me once to concetrate not on cutting out the bad foods you crave concetrate on eating more good healthy food and you will be to full to want to eat junk which does help for me it's been baby steps lol I'm on my 3rd year and I think I might have finally gotten it down on what foods work for my body and my exercise schedule