Does anyone suffer from anxiety/panic attacks?

Options

Replies

• synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    I used to and then I went to a therapist who taught me coping mechanisms. I don't think my issue was that bad but the therapist helped a lot and was free through an employee assistance program at my office.
  • amanda_corinne
    amanda_corinne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had a doctor who told me to face it like a challenge. Now when that happens (especially when I'm working out), I say to the anxiety attack "come at me, bro. You're not taking me down. I am a badass, and you're just some stupid shaky thing. I don't have time for you." It sounds so silly, but it's empowering and after you say that kind of stuff for a few minutes, you start to believe it. It's helped me a lot during workout time or when I'm super busy and don't have time to be bothered.
  • littlebrittfit
    littlebrittfit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Yes, but not from working out...exercise helps alleviate the issue for me. I used to get panic attacks pretty frequently...I still get them, but they're much more rare the last few years since I've been eating better and exercising regularly.

same here. it was an unexpected relief.
  • Antd420
    Antd420 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have been dealing with anxiety disorder for about 17 years and have tried every medication, the only ones that have worked for me is the Benzos. Which are Xanax, Klonopin, Valuim, etc... The only problem with those is you tend to abuse them. I had a daughter a little over 3 years ago and she takes up a lot of my time and thoughts which helps a lot. I started excercise about 18 months ago and that also helps. Don't get me wrong I still have this condition. I have struggled with jobs, relationships, and even family because of it. I am currently on Zoloft 50mg and Klonopin 1mg twice a day which seems to be working pretty well. I also smoke marijuana a few times a week when I can't sleep. This is a very tough disorder and you're not alone. Keep fighting one day at a time.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I know more people who *claim* to have anxiety issues and panic attacks than people who actually do suffer from those.
  • ShadRak24
    ShadRak24 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had one once that sent me to the ER. I thought I was having a heart attack, but it was more of a panic attack. Not fun!
  • cory_hudack
    cory_hudack Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    ShadRak24 wrote: »
    I had one once that sent me to the ER. I thought I was having a heart attack, but it was more of a panic attack. Not fun!

Me too when I first started getting them and I didn't know what it was. They put me in this small room and I was freaking out so bad that I snuck out and left because I thought I was gonna die. A rational person would think a hospital would be a good place to be if you're thinking you're dieing lol. Smdh
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have an anxiety disorder, and I've been to the ER when I thought I was having a heart attack that was really a panic attack. Exercise, especially a few sessions of intense exercise every week, helps me enormously in managing my disorder with a minimum of medication.

My dad used to go for a run when he thought he was having a heart attack, to convince himself it was a panic attack. I did cognitive behavioral therapy for my panic attacks, and have a checklist I go through to make sure that what I'm having is anxiety, not a medical emergency. By the time I get through the checklist, it's usually going away.
  • Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Yep. Got so bad after I started working my current job (newspaper) and after trying more natural routes I talked to my doctor about medication. Took two tries but I'm on Prozac and feel like a "normal" functioning person. But with my life falling into place, and working out on a regular basis I feel like I can start weening off so we'll see how that turns out.
  • Roach002
    Roach002 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a question a friend of mine that a care deeply for suffers from anxiety and depression what can I do to help her over come it.
  • Tenster
    Tenster Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I've not long came out of a spell of severe anxiety and depression so know what you're going through. There was a time where i would feel like telling people this would be a weakness but believe me it's so common. Talking to people about it is the best thing you can do, some people won't understand but most will have had or know someone who has had this type of illness.

I too went to the hospital thinking i was going to die from a heart attack. This was at 2 o'clock in the morning and i was convinced it was the end ha. I read a book called ''The monk who sold his ferrari'' It's a good read and actually really helped.

Good luck to you and know that you will come out of this stronger i can guarantee you that
  • Markdjones83
    Markdjones83 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Strange, working out actually helps with my anxiety.
  • Deborah123abc
    Deborah123abc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm happy to have discovered this group..no I know I'm pretty normal. I thought I was just overreacting...
  • SuperheroSadie
    SuperheroSadie Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have generalized anxiety disorder.

When I was working out or going to the gym, the best thing I could do for me was keep it on my own terms. I found a routine that was comfortable for me (leaving at exactly 8am, using the same locker every day, 100 cal of cardio and then x minutes of weight lifting, leaving at 9am for a shower and being out by 9:30 and on my way to work) and stuck to it. No one was allowed to join me, no one was allowed to interfere. If I wasn't feeling cardio, I didn't push myself to do cardio. If I felt like I didn't have enough time to weightlift (I had the same amount of time every single day, but... I felt differently depending on my anxiety levels that morning) I would just do cardio until it was time to leave.

Don't set a plan based on anyone else's. Find what makes you comfortable and if high-intensity cardio isn't it, then scratch it. Count calories super strictly and do weight lifting. Cardio is totally optional :smile:
  • Markdjones83
    Markdjones83 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Diet definitely helps out for sure I think too
  • AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I think it relieves a lot of tension for me & makes me feel refreshed working out, I've never felt like I was having an attack.
    If I have trouble breathing, it's due to my asthma though, not my anxiety. I went to a gym in my town before & felt extremely uncomfortable until it cleared out & people weren't around me, so I just workout at home now so I feel comfortable.
    Panic attacks/anxiety are terrible, I'd never wish it on anyone around me. I've had some bad ones before too, like others have. It's been getting better though with the medicine I take for it, so I'm thankful for that. I haven't had a real bad one in probably two years now.
  • jennembers
    jennembers Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!!!
  • Justn7883
    Justn7883 Posts: 4,764 Member
    Options
    Yep. I sure do.
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Yes, but not from working out...exercise helps alleviate the issue for me. I used to get panic attacks pretty frequently...I still get them, but they're much more rare the last few years since I've been eating better and exercising regularly.

If I workout lightly to moderate, I'm usually fine. But it's when I really get my heart rate up is when that awful feeling starts to come on and I have to stop what I'm doing. There's been times I've basically ran out of the gym in panic

I have an over active adrenal gland, listening to aggressive music triggering the fight part vs the flight while exercising taught me how to work out. Also work on your breathing while exerting yourself and strength training because it's hard work while moving slow may help. Or it's the crowd phobia/ body image being publicly displayed. I don't panic at home much exept if i do jumping jacks oddly enough.
  • Ifitfits
    Ifitfits Posts: 46 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yes , I have GAD (General Anxiety Disorder) and chronic depression .

I take medication for it all , and I have been on the stuff for two years . One thing I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy is the feeling of "Emptiness" and "Hopelessness" ... Depression is far from an emotion , its a destroyed state of mind .

Through out the years I have come to realise what really matters to me and what doesn't matter , and I focus my thoughts on positive things that actually matter to me .

My Best advice is to talk to people , we are social beings . You need to reach out and take action , cant let depression eat you alive