Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    VF8g3Lm.jpg
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't really need an additional incentive. I skate because I love to skate, and I love to get better at it. I do a Jillian Michaels DVD with the primary motivation of improving my skating. I guess I have an incentive, but it's not quite in the same view.

That said, I'm well aware that my jumps will likely get bigger and easier when I'm not hauling so much of a fat *kitten* into the air... :D
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Better sleep, helps with my anxiety, I've lost over 22 inches since I started keeping track; it's probably more. I feel so awesome when I'm done and sweaty because I accomplished my goal and did something good for myself.
  • paulajobelle
    paulajobelle Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For me it is getting away from the family/house (I love them but after a full day at work I need some me time) and I love how relaxed I feel after even a short walk. I think you will be surprised how even a 15 minute walk will help recharge your batteries (physical and emotional).
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Soo many incentives, the best being...I CAN EAT MORE! lol
    The feel good factor, sleeping better and for me knowing that as I age being fitter will see me age better (hopefully).
  • AmberNew16
    AmberNew16 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I used to do cheer for 10 years which I liked a lot and I still have the muscle from it. What would be a sinilar workout? Zumba? Aerobics? Lifting? I used to be the back spot
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you define "working out". For me personally, if it involved going to the gym and getting on a treadmill everyday, I would never want to do it, either.
    Now, belly dancing, yoga, Zumba, getting out and riding my bike in the cooler weather, or walking...that's a different story.
    What do you love to do? Dance? Play ball with the kids in the yard? Go for walks? If you do something you enjoy, you don't even think of it as working out, and you even look forward to it!
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I like doing it because I am physically bored at work. I like pushing and challenging myself. It also keeps me in good shape for hiking, which is one of my favorite things to do.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    AmberNew16 wrote: »
    I used to do cheer for 10 years which I liked a lot and I still have the muscle from it. What would be a sinilar workout? Zumba? Aerobics? Lifting? I used to be the back spot

When I hear "working out" I think weight lifting. Your other activity is giving you cardiovascular benefits, so I suggest weight lifting as the activity to try to fit in. If this is new to you, take a few sessions with a personal trainer.

To motivate you, see if your library has a copy of The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess.
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Because -- cheese!! I love cheese - I want to eat cheese. Well, okay, just kidding (kind of). Because I feel so much better, can breathe, walk up the flight up stairs, chase my grandkids around, sleep better, can eat a little more, clear my brain of garbage, and best of all even after weight loss, it tightens up those flabby areas much better.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I pay myself $1 each day I exercise - whether it's a hike, a session at the gym, or a kickboxing class. Once the money has accumulated into a large enough sum I reward myself with something (new shoes, new clothes, spa day, etc) - and it feels really good to buy something in a size you never thought you'd wear and feel confident about your shape and strength.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Listen to the Joe Rogan podcast. Sounds weird but works
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I can eat more. I feel better. I have more energy. I am trying to ward off the type II diabetes that is common in my family. I think I look better. And, it's my sleep insurance.

We are all busy. We all get the same 24 hours and have to decide how to use it. This always sounds snarky but I'm telling myself as much as anyone else. You have to make it happen
  • MarvieBee
    MarvieBee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I imagine the photos (of me) that I will take on my next trip.
    Now that summer is coming, I like imagining myself wearing shorts and thin shirts, looking good, and being comfortable about it.
    I also love the energy after workouts and having something done for the day.
    For the past few weeks, I've been addicted to sleeping early (I know it's a weird addiction); thinking that I don't have to squeeze in a workout later motivates me to wake up early and workout! :)
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »
    Listen to the Joe Rogan podcast. Sounds weird but works

Agreed - pick a podcast or show on Netflix and only let yourself listen to or watch it if you're exercising. Works especially well for treadmills/elliptical/stationary bikes that don't require a lot of attention to use - just make sure you're keeping up your pace.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    New workout clothes.
    Improved sleep.
    Increased adhesion to diet.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I workout for food!
  • HomeatWDW
    HomeatWDW Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I reward myself with massages or hot stone pedicures. Something to look forward to, and they relieve stress as well.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    AmberNew16 wrote: »
    The obvious incentive is looking and feeling better but does anyone have any tricks to further motivate themselves. I've lost 8 pounds in 5 weeks from just eating right. Between renovating my house, student teaching, work, and school, I'm always too beat to work out.

Not really, I enjoy training. I primarily ride and lift a few nights per week and do some hiking when the weather is nice. I think too many people think "workingout" means they have to be droning away on some cardio machine in the gym or jumping around their living rooms to some DVD...groovy if you like it, but there's all kinds of exercise opportunities out there that go well beyond the mundane.

Find something you like doing and do it...go play.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I agree, you gotta do what you enjoy!

Like many others on here, I love my walks at lunch at work with my podcasts and audiobooks. My head is so much more clear when I get back, it eases my anxiety and I am less easily frustrated about work things.

But sounds like if you enjoyed cheer in the past, maybe a group exercise might appeal to you. Zumba class, CrossFit, etc. Do what you love, then add more when you get used to it.