Stew meat for something that isn't stew.Can I use stew meat for beef stir fry? Will it be too tough?

Options
AlyssaPetsDogs
AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
I am a young adult still learning all the tricks of cooking and the ins and outs without my mom. I am so sick of beef stew, but I have two more packages of stew meat in my freezer that has to be eaten before I move back home for the summer in 3 weeks.

I want to try making stir fry with zucchini noodles, but I'm worried the meat will be too tough. I'm not sure if I should try to pan sear or if it will cook on its own... Probably should cut it into smaller strips before cooking too!

Does anyone have any experience with stew meat and know whether it is possible to cook it so it is edible?

Also if you have any other suggestions as to what to do with stew meat, please share!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I would not use stew meat for stir fry - it'll be chewy even if you slice it thinly. If you do decide to use it in stir fry, definitely slice as thinly as possible (freeze the meat for a short time to make it firmer and easier to slice). You could use a marinade to help tenderize, but be careful. Over tenderizing gives the meat an unpleasant 'mealy' texture.

Use stew meat as is in recipes that call for a long cook/braise. That's what you need to break down tougher meat.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Maybe try using for chili. Or cook/braise in a little broth until tender, then shred and add it to a stir-fry just to heat through.
  • moniyq1994
    moniyq1994 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've used stew meat in stroganoff, kabobbs and one time mistook it for pork rips and it ended up being bbq beef pieces never had trouble with it being too tough but it works really well when u need cut up beef pieces just search for recipes that call for things like Chuck Shoulder, Rump Roast, Pot Roast, ect and it wants it cut up into small pieces works wonders in crock pot recipes
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I bet you could use it in a Barbacoa Taco recipe too.
  • michmill98_1
    michmill98_1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Like the others said, stew meat is designed for long & slow cooking times. I would put it in a crockpot with a sliced onion and some jalapenos, add Mexican spices (cumin, Mexican oregano, a little salt & pepper, or a packet of dry taco seasoning, etc) and one bottle of beer (I usually use either a Mexican beer or a Miller Lite) . Cook on low for 8-10 hours. By then, the meat should shred easily with a fork and it usually soaks up most of the juices. Use for tacos or enchiladas and add whatever other toppings you like. I usually do this with frozen chicken breasts but have done it with a cut up roast before too. You won't be able to taste the beer but I think it helps breakdown the meat better than just plain water. If you're completely alcohol free, then I'd use an equivalent amount of low-sodium beef broth.

Here's another variation that I found on Pinterest but we haven't tried it yet: http://www.thestayathomechef.com/2015/04/easy-slow-cooker-chili-lime-mexican.html
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Beef barley soup..........or you could sub quinoa (for barley) if you like.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/beef-barley-soup/http://www.skinnytaste.com/beef-barley-soup/
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! This gives me a lot of ideas - I think I will pass on the stir fry for now and try some of these other suggested recipes.
    Beef is intimidating, but I'm excited to try something. Hopefully it will turn out :)
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Look into braising, it is a way to break down fattier tougher meats into a nice tender bite. If it were me I would dredge the meat in seasoned flour, then in a hot oiled skillet brown off the meat on all sides, once that is done remove the meat and in the same pan add in tomato paste, and once the tomato paste has browned, pour some red wine into the pan, this is called deglazing and it gets what is known as the fond off the bottom of the pan. That is where the flavor comes from, then add in carrot, celery, and onion. Cook all that together and once the veggies have a little color on them place the meat back in the pan and pour enough stock to cover the veggies and meat. Have your oven heated to about 300 degrees and place the meat and veggie mixture covered with aluminum foil and let the dish bake for a couple hours. Check on the dish throughout cooking and once the meat falls apart when pierced with a fork remove it from the pot. Now the fun part making a pan sauce, remove all the contents of the pot, and pour them through a chinois (a mesh strainer) pouring the liquid into a skillet and reserving the meat and veggies, separate the meat from the vegetables as they are no longer of value and all the nutrients have been cooked out of them, put the meat aside and keep it warm. With the liquid you just saved, turn on the skillet on a medium heat and let the mixture simmer add in some seasonings and a touch of heavy cream, a little more tomato paste, and let the mixture reduce and thicken, finish the sauce with a little butter and viola braised beef, that you can serve with an herbed butter asparagus, or some other vegetables.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    You can, you just need to marinate it a day ahead of time.
  • wl4v
    wl4v Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you are in the mood for stir fry, you can slow cook or braise your beef with the flavors to create the sauce for it. Then just stir fry the veggies and add at the end. For me I would braise with lots of onion, garlic and ginger, if you like spicy add red pepper flakes or green peppers; Tamari or Hoisen sauce (or both). Pineapple juice would tenderize the meat faster. For the braising liquid you could just use broth or if you want to go all out a little sake.
  • lizzylovestocook
    lizzylovestocook Posts: 30 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I would cook the stew meat in a slow cooker or in oven at low temp till tender . Maybe add an onion and some spices a bit of beef broth or other liquid . You could do this a day ahead . Then when you want to make your stir fry you just fry up whatever veggies you want then add your cooked meat I'm sure it would be great . I should have read the comment above first ,she is saying pretty much the same thing I said .