Perfect brown rice

Options
melissa6771
melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
I sometimes add sautéed onions and peppers to this, which makes it even tastier. Easy to do and perfect every time. Great for making fried rice with too.

How To: Make Perfect Brown Rice

Foolproof Oven-Baked Brown Rice Perfected by America’s Test Kitchen

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups brown rice
2 1/3 cups water
2 teaspoons unsalted butter or vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt

Instructions
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread rice in an 8-inch square baking dish.

2. Bring water and butter or oil to a boil, either in a saucepan or in the microwave. Keep an eye on it and take it off heat immediately after it starts boiling. Immediately stir in salt and pour water over rice in baking dish. Cover baking dish tightly with 2 layers of foil, or heavy-duty foil. Transfer baking dish to oven and bake rice until tender, about 1 hour.

3. Remove baking dish from oven and uncover. Fluff rice with fork, then cover dish with kitchen towel and let rice stand for 5 minutes. uncover and let rice stand 5 minutes longer. Serve

Replies

• Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't understand. Why not just do it on the stove and save time?
  • melissa6771
    Options
    You won't save time. When you cook rice, especially brown rice because it takes at least 45 minutes on the stove, you are cooking from the bottom only. A lot of times the bottom is overcooked and the top is undercooked. That's part of the reason a lot of people have trouble with or don't like brown rice. Plus the texture is better when cooking it in the oven. Cooking it in the oven ensures even cooking all around and comes out right every single time.
  • melissa6771
    Options
    @aabdul22

This is the best way to make brown rice. I also have a recipe for brown rice and peas. I will type it out and send it to you.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Just boil it in excess of salted water...drain, leave in strainer and cover and let steam for a few minutes...piece of cake.
  • dia_nruf
    dia_nruf Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. I have been having such a hard time cooking brown rice. I will definitely give this a try!!!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I use a rice cooker.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    You won't save time. When you cook rice, especially brown rice because it takes at least 45 minutes on the stove, you are cooking from the bottom only. A lot of times the bottom is overcooked and the top is undercooked. That's part of the reason a lot of people have trouble with or don't like brown rice. Plus the texture is better when cooking it in the oven. Cooking it in the oven ensures even cooking all around and comes out right every single time.

You're joking right, 45 minutes to boil rice?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I do what @mjwarbek does. I don't want to heat my oven up if I don;t have to. Especially in the summer time.
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Nice! Thanks! My rice cooker broke. May try this or but a new rice cooker.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

45 minutes to cook brown rice. It isn't boiling most of that time, simply simmering or steaming.

All rices are not the same: http://dish.allrecipes.com/how-to-cook-rice/
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I agree brown rice on the stovetop is tricky. Maybe the oven trick is okay for people who don't mind heating their whole oven up and are unwilling to get a rice cooker.

But otherwise: RICE COOKER. Absurdly easy, foolproof, fewer dishes to clean, easy to clean, doesn't waste electricity or heat my whole kitchen up unnecessarily.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I use a rice cooker.

I use Uncle Ben instant brown rice. Fifteen minutes and I am done :) But I do add sometimes saute onions, sweet peppers and arugula to the cooked rice. Nice and tasty and I also use less rice.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    edited April 2016
    Options
    wonko221 wrote: »

45 minutes to cook brown rice. It isn't boiling most of that time, simply simmering or steaming.

Brown rice has been a staple of my diet for years never once has it taken me that long.

You are supposed bring the water to boil before adding the rice why would the water simmer?

I'm not disputing there are other methods of cooking just pointing out "at least 45 minutes" is not accurate when cooking on a stove.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    edited April 2016
    Options

• wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Brown rice has been a staple of my diet for years never once has it taken me that long.

You are supposed bring the water to boil before adding the rice why would the water simmer?

I'm not disputing there are other methods of cooking just pointing out "at least 45 minutes" is not accurate when cooking on a stove.

You misquoted the OP, stating that brown rice needed to be boiled for 45 minutes.

I replied that it doesn't boil the full time. While you start a simmer by bringing water to a boil, "simmering" and "boiling" are different techniques. That is why we have the word "simmer."

When i cook whole grain brown rice, i do it on the stove top, and i simmer it for 45 minutes. It comes out delicious.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    Options

You misquoted the OP, stating that brown rice needed to be boiled for 45 minutes.

I replied that it doesn't boil the full time. While you start a simmer by bringing water to a boil, "simmering" and "boiling" are different techniques. That is why we have the word "simmer."

When i cook whole grain brown rice, i do it on the stove top, and i simmer it for 45 minutes. It comes out delicious.

I didn't misquote OP, simply because I didn't quote.

She clearly states it takes 45 minutes to cook brown rice on the stove, even going on to say that is the reason why people have trouble with it or don't like it? I don't know where she gets that claim.

Boil kettle, add to rice in pan
    Bring rice and water to boil without lid,
    Place lid on reduce heat simmer for 15/20 minutes

How you perform the next steps is up to you let it sit, rinse through a colander, add to fry veg, egg fry.

Its certainly not a minimum of 45 minutes each time.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I use a rice cooker.

Me too. I love it, and also use it for oatmeal.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Ws2016 wrote: »
    I don't understand. Why not just do it on the stove and save time?

Because it does not come out the same. I have being cooking my rice in the oven for over 20 years, - the best rice ever. Every grain is perfectly cooked - also the rice is steamed, not like on the stove.

With the oven on I can cook : baked salmon, baked vegetables, baked chicken and oven rice all at 350, and sit back and wait for dinner. Saves on gas too.
  • rsenor
    rsenor Posts: 57 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    yup, this is by far the TASTIEST way to make brown rice. It tastes a billion times better. I've used stovetop, rice cooker and there is no comparison to rice done in the oven (I thought Alton Brown originally perfected it?). Also you can cook other things at the same time like socajam says.

I'll suffer a hot kitchen for it for sure. And those of you who think your stovetop or rice cooker is just as good, please try this ONCE and then report back.
  • melissa6771
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @JoshuaMcAllister You're joking right, 45 minutes
    She clearly states it takes 45 minutes to cook brown rice on the stove, even going on to say that is the reason why people have trouble with it or don't like it? I don't know where she gets that claim.

Boil kettle, add to rice in pan
    Bring rice and water to boil without lid,
    Place lid on reduce heat simmer for 15/20 minutes

How you perform the next steps is up to you let it sit, rinse through a colander, add to fry veg, egg fry.

Its certainly not a minimum of 45 minutes each time.

If you are using real brown rice, not the instant kind, not the parboiled kind, not the frozen kind, it most certainly does take 45 minutes to cook properly, no matter whether it's the stovetop or the oven. As do steel cut oats. I have been a hairdresser for 23 years and talk to people all day long every day, that's part of how I know a lot of people don't care for brown rice when it's not cooed properly. That's how I make that "claim". cooking is my hobby, many people come to me for cooking advice. If you like how you do it in 20 minutes, by all means, eat it your way. If you have nothing beneficial to add here, why bother? Just to argue? No thanks. I know what I'm talking about. As you can see, others here who have tried this method, understand its superiority.