Starting P90X... Help with chin-ups?

Options
Hey there!

I've tried P90x a few times and love most of the workouts, but I find I am just not strong enough to do chin-ups.

I've tried assisted pull ups with one leg on a chair but I'm not really feeling it where I should. I stuck with it for a few weeks once and didn't find any changes...

This time I want to start building strength in my arms, back and shoulders with tension rope like in the videos, but I'm not really sure what to do to be able to simulate chin ups properly.

My goal is to move back to the pull up bar eventually, but I don't want to waste time doing exercises ineffectively...

I'm thinking build starting strength with tension rope, then move to assisted chin-ups/pull ups with the chair, and eventually just use the bar.

Any advice would be really helpful! :)thanks in advance!

Replies

• Hawkian
    Hawkian Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    sun_n_jazz wrote: »
    I'm thinking build starting strength with tension rope, then move to assisted chin-ups/pull ups with the chair, and eventually just use the bar.
    Nailed it!

Chin-ups/pull-ups have always been a huge weak point for me. What I do is actually toss my resistance band over my pull-up bar and sit down (much like they show Scotty Fifer doing on Chest and Back for example) , leaning forward, to get a bunch of tension in the band. If you watch him, you can actually get a good impression of how to do the simulated pull-up/chin-up move for each. Tony even comments on a lot of them (the band moves) specifically with tips.

Once you feel ready you can go to doing assisted moves with the chair, then knock out a couple more with the bands... then go to just the bar + knocking out a few moves with the chair. In other words, you can fall back to the modified version once you max out doing it the more intense way.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Get a set of pull-up assist bands - you loop one end around the bar, and then put your knee or foot on the other end of the loop. More of a true assist than using a chair, and you can progress to smaller and smaller bands (aka less and less assistance).

I have this 3-band pull-up assist set from Iron Woody Fitness: https://ironwoodyfitness.com/product/assisted-pull-up-package/

blue band assistance: 25-80 lbs (relaxed to full stretch - actual assistance for pullups using your foot...so stretched, but not full stretch....is somewhere in the middle/upper middle of the range - prob 50-65 lbs or so for this band for me)
    green band assistance: 50-120 lbs
    black band assistance: 60-150 lbs

They also have a deluxe set that includes a fourth, heavier band that has assistance from 70 to 175 lbs: https://ironwoodyfitness.com/product/deluxe-assisted-pull-up-package/
  • Hawkian
    Hawkian Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, definitely a good recommendation. You'll get substantially more resistance than using a chair, but they're still a lot easier than true pull-ups. I can vouch for this one personally: http://www.amazon.com/Lifeline-LLPURPLUS-Pullup-Revolution/dp/B003KNC1MO?ie=UTF8&keywords=pull-up assist band&qid=1461765158&ref_=sr_1_5&sr=8-5
  • sun_n_jazz
    sun_n_jazz Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys- I appreciate the advice!

I'm a little worried about stringing the band over my pull-up bar. It's one of the bars that just hang over doorframes, so it's not attached in any sturdy way.

Would seated rows help at all for this, or would it be better to try out the methods you've suggested?

Sorry I'm a bit of a noob about this and just want to make sure I'm doing the exercises correctly!
  • OfficialDSXIII
    OfficialDSXIII Posts: 91 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If you have someone to help you out you could ask them to lift you to the top so you can focus on lowering yourself slowly. I helped my gf with this for awhile and she can now do some on her own.

Also doing other lifts to strengthen your back, shoulders, and arm muscles helps a lot too.

Oh, I forgot you mentioned you are doing p90x so you're definitely hitting all the right muscles..

You will do them soon! :smiley:
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    You will get there, keep working at it! It took me about 2 rounds of p90x before I did my first chin ups. I used a chair but also started to get myself up with the chair then take my foot off and slowly lower down. Then use chair to get back up again. Like someone else posted it helps to use the correct muscles when you don't yet have the strength to pull up
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have the actual beachbody pull-up bar that looks like this:

p90xpullupbar.jpg

It came with brackets to secure the part that rests on the top of the door frame, but I've never used them (initially because we were renting and didn't want to put holes in the wall). Without the brackets, it is secure enough for my 250 lb hubby to use. :)
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to build up to pull-ups without bands or extra equipment is to do negative pull-ups. Use a chair or step stool of some kind so you can grab the bar in the top position of a pull-up, then lower yourself slowly over a count of 5. Do that 3-5 times. Do NOT do them daily, 2-3 times a week max, take days off in between. Try to add one rep each time, or even each week.

You get the exact same benefit from a negative pull-up as you do a regular one.

I had stopped working out for years and struggled to do them when I started back up. Did negatives, then assisted (one foot on a chair), and now I can knock out 10 regular pull-ups on a good day. It took a few months but it was worth it! I love body weight exercises!

Good luck!
  • gabemunoz72
    gabemunoz72 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have and still use the Pull-Up assist band from Beachbody. Helps a whole bunch!
  • thehoss316
    thehoss316 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I second what Gabe said. This was a gamechanger for me
  • sun_n_jazz
    sun_n_jazz Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all your advice! I'm definitely going to try out a bit of everything you have said to see what works best for me :)