How do you handle - Sluggish - low energy days

Options
Balaru
Balaru Posts: 203 Member
I'm sure I'm not the only one. Only on Day#19 and have been pushing getting 4.5 mile walks in the last few days. Just wondering how the more experienced MFPs handle those days... Just feeling pretty tired....as they say my get up and go, got up and went.....hitting the treadmill in a bit but not feeling it physically. It's not a motivation thing it's a physical feeling. If that makes sense.

Replies

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I hit day 115 today. Some days I feel like that so I typically just take the dog for a walk, (she doesn't let me slack in the dog walk department) or I will take a whole day off. I hike for fitness and this week has been awful, it's been cold, rainy/snowy, and windy so I've only gotten a couple hikes in. It makes me grumpy though, mainly because I'm limited to 1200 calories on those days.
  • nadiacraven
    nadiacraven Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like to listen to my body. If my body thinks I need a rest then I rest. I wouldn't go to the gym if I feel super tired because I wouldn't end up working as hard as I want to in the end. Whenever I have a random rest day (doesn't happen often at all) I go harder the next day. But always keeping that nutrition on point!
    Do you have your meals at certain times? Because it definitely helps with energy manipulation.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    When I have a really sluggish day, I ask myself the following questions:

Did I get good sleep last night? - If the answer to that is no, I try to get a nap and focus on my nutrition. If the answer is yes, I train.

Have I been eating enough? -If the answer is no, I take the day either off or do some light activity and focus on nutrition. If the answer is yes, I train.

Are my muscles sore? Joints stiff?- If the answer is yes, I get a nice long warm up and see how I feel after the warm up.

I always take one or two rest days a week.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    3 two a day workout days this week, high intensity, while on a cut.

You uh... Just do it. Think about the goal you chose and ensure your actions move you closer to it.
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You rest.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Balaru wrote: »
    I'm sure I'm not the only one. Only on Day#19 and have been pushing getting 4.5 mile walks in the last few days. Just wondering how the more experienced MFPs handle those days... Just feeling pretty tired....as they say my get up and go, got up and went.....hitting the treadmill in a bit but not feeling it physically. It's not a motivation thing it's a physical feeling. If that makes sense.

Are you walking 4 miles every day? That's a lot of activity and you may justifiably need a break. Or a shorter walk.

I have my treadmill workouts scheduled for every Monday , Wednesday, Thursday , and once on the weekend. I usually plan on running the whole time but sometimes the energy just isn't there. On those days I never skip the treadmill but take it a little easier by walking all or part of the workout or at least running slower. It's always worth it and better than nothing. But then again I'm
    Not doing it 7 days a week. If you are walking every day, try adding in a rest day (or at least a shorter walk).
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I hear this, because I work out daily and sometimes when I wake up (5am) to go work out, I am like, "UGH, I need to stay in bed." But, then I remind myself that I have a goal and it won't be accomplished in bed :)

Having said that, if your body is totally drained, take a day off and rest. I typically take Sundays off from my hard workout routine and just walk a couple of miles (max).
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    If it's a motivation thing, I get started. Most of the time, anyhow.

If it's a physical tired, I rest. Fitness is not just something I do for a while -- it for the rest of my life. Recovery is as necessary as activity.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Not an expert, but today was definitely a day like that for me. For 2 days (and 1 more tomorrow) I've spent 5 hours in a room, by myself doing a training on the web for work. Breaks are only to pee once or twice, no lunch. By the time I was done I was completely drained and didn't feel like working out after work. But I did, I lifted weights for an hour and then did 25 on the elliptical. My energy is back, for now, til I crash at bedtime :) But you are walking a lot, maybe you just need a rest :)
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    that's usually a sign that u need rest, so take off that day do some walk around the block and get good sleep. ooooor take caffeine pill and chill
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm afraid you are doing the "go all out, burn out" we tend to do this when we start a new program or plan, then it falls to the wayside when expectations can't be met. Take a deep breath, chill out for half a minute and don't try to fix it all in a day.

Oh and i'm just shy of 500 days in, so i have plenty of "dang i'm just so tired" those days I listen to my body and take a nap.
  • Tarasaurus_Rex
    Tarasaurus_Rex Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I get that way. Sometimes it's just not in me. I rest when my body tells me to.
  • Balaru
    Balaru Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    GET YOUR GLASS OF WATER - IT'S LONG.....SORRY -

Thanks ya'll. By the time I worked up to 4 1/2 miles I felt like a wimp if I didn't finish. I'm walking the subdivision 3 blocks over. If I just walk it -it's 3 1/2 - I usually do that at 18 minute mile and then hubby has my training partner Zoey (see profile pic) ready for the last lap which we call the big block/little block which ends up making it 4 1/2.

I guess I'm freaking out about the rest day because I want to be consistent and feel like if I take any time off I will loose the momentum. That's what's happened in the past. Sounds a little crazy but I've done this sooooo many times and I do not want to stop ever again.

I want to finally look good (healthy/toned) and be strong for our Lake vacation on our anniversary in August. I want to be a success story!

Here's what I've been doing -
    • Mon: 4.51miles walking 3 mph took 1:28:18
    • Tues - Did the bike to give my legs a rest - broke it in three segments because of strong winds -ended up being almost 2 hours
    • Wed - Back to walking 4:54 miles - 1:38:45
    • Thurs - haven't done anything formal yet - we did alot of errands and have been busy most of the day

Last week:
    • Mon - Last week we put in our vegetable garden which took all day
    • Tues - 1:00 hour on the stationary bike
    • Wed - 1:00 hour walk
    • Thurs - Dumb bell DVD - I was sore and it was raining
    • Fri - 3.27 miles walking - 1:01:12
    • Sat - 2.24 miles - 43:22
    • Sunday - 2.83 miles before church 1:04:59 and 1.35 miles in the evening 30:35

Trying to work up to the P90X dvds.

What do you think about doing the walking Monday/Wed/Friday and the P90X on Tues/Thurs/Saturday and a Zoey walk or bike ride on Sunday?

I'm also doing so much exercise to relieve the stress of the job hunt. Gets me out of the house and my mind on something else. And hopefully I will be down to a decent size by the time I start working again. They aren't supposed to discriminate due to size (started at 198 - haven't weighed yet - plan on weighing once a month- so this Sunday will be the first one) or age (54) but they probably are. College degree/25 years experience -230 job applications and several interviews. Still nothing but it will come.

Sorry for the novel - just trying to get it right and keep it right.

Doing a 5k in January that I'd like to be able to run if possible. Guess I'm just going stir crazy and when I get out I just keep going. Kinda like Forest - Lol

Trying to get the macros right but I'm still a long way off on that and thought maybe it's the sugar. Got close a couple of times but I'm always over on the sugar and low on the protein. Carbs seem to be my cup of tea.

Felt kind of light headed a couple of times. So trying to reign that in by working on getting the macros right. I still have a long way to go before this is my new norm but I'm trying my hardest.

Thanks for listening.

• Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Shana67 wrote: »
    I hear this, because I work out daily and sometimes when I wake up (5am) to go work out, I am like, "UGH, I need to stay in bed." But, then I remind myself that I have a goal and it won't be accomplished in bed :)

Having said that, if your body is totally drained, take a day off and rest. I typically take Sundays off from my hard workout routine and just walk a couple of miles (max).

Yep, that's me! I work out every day, generally no matter what is happening... I look down at my arms and just keep going! Now if I'm really tired, I may do a diff type of workout.. My rest day is active rest....a more toned down exercise program.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Balaru wrote: »
    GET YOUR GLASS OF WATER - IT'S LONG.....SORRY -

Thanks ya'll. By the time I worked up to 4 1/2 miles I felt like a wimp if I didn't finish. I'm walking the subdivision 3 blocks over. If I just walk it -it's 3 1/2 - I usually do that at 18 minute mile and then hubby has my training partner Zoey (see profile pic) ready for the last lap which we call the big block/little block which ends up making it 4 1/2.

I guess I'm freaking out about the rest day because I want to be consistent and feel like if I take any time off I will loose the momentum. That's what's happened in the past. Sounds a little crazy but I've done this sooooo many times and I do not want to stop ever again.

I want to finally look good (healthy/toned) and be strong for our Lake vacation on our anniversary in August. I want to be a success story!

Here's what I've been doing -
    • Mon: 4.51miles walking 3 mph took 1:28:18
    • Tues - Did the bike to give my legs a rest - broke it in three segments because of strong winds -ended up being almost 2 hours
    • Wed - Back to walking 4:54 miles - 1:38:45
    • Thurs - haven't done anything formal yet - we did alot of errands and have been busy most of the day

Last week:
    • Mon - Last week we put in our vegetable garden which took all day
    • Tues - 1:00 hour on the stationary bike
    • Wed - 1:00 hour walk
    • Thurs - Dumb bell DVD - I was sore and it was raining
    • Fri - 3.27 miles walking - 1:01:12
    • Sat - 2.24 miles - 43:22
    • Sunday - 2.83 miles before church 1:04:59 and 1.35 miles in the evening 30:35

Trying to work up to the P90X dvds.

What do you think about doing the walking Monday/Wed/Friday and the P90X on Tues/Thurs/Saturday and a Zoey walk or bike ride on Sunday?

I'm also doing so much exercise to relieve the stress of the job hunt. Gets me out of the house and my mind on something else. And hopefully I will be down to a decent size by the time I start working again. They aren't supposed to discriminate due to size (started at 198 - haven't weighed yet - plan on weighing once a month- so this Sunday will be the first one) or age (54) but they probably are. College degree/25 years experience -230 job applications and several interviews. Still nothing but it will come.

Sorry for the novel - just trying to get it right and keep it right.

Doing a 5k in January that I'd like to be able to run if possible. Guess I'm just going stir crazy and when I get out I just keep going. Kinda like Forest - Lol

Trying to get the macros right but I'm still a long way off on that and thought maybe it's the sugar. Got close a couple of times but I'm always over on the sugar and low on the protein. Carbs seem to be my cup of tea.

Felt kind of light headed a couple of times. So trying to reign that in by working on getting the macros right. I still have a long way to go before this is my new norm but I'm trying my hardest.

Thanks for listening.

Your plan is overkill for what you're trying to accomplish. There's nothing wrong with walking, but you say your goal is to look "healthy/toned"...that's going to require some resistance/strength training, which p90x will provide. I would just do that program and really really cut down on all the walking. You can still walk while running the p90x program, you just don't need to shoot for 4.5 miles every time.

I work out 4-5 days a week, max. I've been at this for over 3 years. It's not necessary to hit it hard every single day. I take days off; I even take weeks off. If you have a solid plan and somewhat enjoy your fitness routine, you don't have to worry about losing momentum. Good luck!
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Go to bed early, then get up early the next day and smash it :)

Sleep is the answer to most of life's question.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Take a rest day. Your body will thank you and you will be more likely to get back at it next week.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I aim to exercise every day and if I'm feeling low energy sometimes I just rest, but often I start the exercise anyway. If I'm "not feeling it" I quit. No shame or self-recriminations. None. I'm with the poster above. Exercise is a permanent part of my life. Taking time off might slow the speed of my "progress" but overuse injuries slow it much more.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty intense schedule for someone who is just getting into the swing of regular exercise... Your body needs time to recover and adjust to all the new things you're throwing at it!
    A few years ago I took the "all out" approach to workouts, it was ridiculous and definitely not sustainable for me. When I was "done" losing weight, I was also done working out. And as a result I gained back the 60+ pounds I had lost, and then some.
    This time around it has been slowly implementing exercise I enjoy. I started out just lifting 3 days a week. Now I do 5, and I have started slowly adding cardio to that (15 minutes of walking or elliptical 3x a week was the first step). Even on "bad food days" I still want to exercise, because it just feels natural and makes me feel good. I know I can sustain it long term. i definitely have sluggish days, but even with easing into it, sometimes my body just needs a break. It can be hard to take time off, because I truly do enjoy my workouts, but I know in the long run I would rather spend a few days away than to get injured.

I agree that the P90X is probably going to help give you the results you want in a way that walking/running can't. You can always start and just do what you can for now/modify things you can't do yet.
    You might also look into something like the Couch To 5k program. It will give you a better idea of how to work up to a 5k as a beginner, and when you meet the allotted time maybe you will feel more accomplishment because you are "done" with the workout, rather than the need to keep going for so long.

(Also if you're tracking macros in an IIFYM style, you don't need to be super worried about your sugar intake. Work on the protein though!)