Scared

Options
I've been more than 100 lbs over my ideal weight for a while bunch of years, now. I've got a host of medical conditions, none of which get better on their own. I am more than embarrassed by how I look, smell, and sound (breathing heavy at the littlest exertion. So ... tomorrow morning I give this a real go.

I've already cut out fast food (tomorrow is seven weeks!), and I hardly ever eat what I call "explicit sugar" (ice cream, cakes, cookies, etc.). But I eat way too many carbs, way too few vegetables, and way too much of whatever it is I'm eating.

Keep me in your prayers, as I will all of you.

Replies

• Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    It's a bit overwhelming to begin with, but you can do it. I lost 90lbs back in the 90s, and it took me a couple of years. YOU CAN DO IT!!! :)
  • erikwwikstrom
    erikwwikstrom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks ...
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Aww..don't be scared! You are in a community of people who all understand, and know exactly what you're going through. It sounds like you've already taken the bull by the horns, good for you! Good luck to you on this next part of your journey, there will be tough spots, but you can persevere! xo
  • erikwwikstrom
    Options
    Thanks
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have made some good positive changes already. You are on a good track. Keep it up. :) MFP is a great tool and will really help you with learning how to eat mindfully. There is nothing to fear. You can do this.
  • pinkpsyche
    pinkpsyche Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've been more than 100 lbs over my ideal weight for a while bunch of years, now. I've got a host of medical conditions, none of which get better on their own. I am more than embarrassed by how I look, smell, and sound (breathing heavy at the littlest exertion. So ... tomorrow morning I give this a real go.

I've already cut out fast food (tomorrow is seven weeks!), and I hardly ever eat what I call "explicit sugar" (ice cream, cakes, cookies, etc.). But I eat way too many carbs, way too few vegetables, and way too much of whatever it is I'm eating.

I know exactly how you feel. I recently found out that I have diabetes and am at high risk for stroke and heart attack. I'm pretty annoyed that I did this to myself. I am also fearful that I will not be around for my family. That pushed me enough to start. I have been at this since Jan. 27th and every day it is a process. I will pray that He give you the same strength and "gumption" He gave me. May God bless you!
  • ChristmasFerrets
    ChristmasFerrets Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Erik, it takes time and patience. I just started and need to lose at least 55 pounds.
    Are you a veteran? If so, contact your VA Primary Care Physician and ask them about the MOVE! program. That's what I did and like you I'm a little scared that I will fail once again.
    My health issues is another reason for this effort. I'm just not really looking forward to all the excess skin. lol
    I'll keep you in my thought and prayers that you'll lose the weight with flying colors ~ Chris
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options

Knowing the problem is a huge first step, getting into new habits is a huge second step, from then on it's much easier.
  • cairnsmom
    cairnsmom Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You've already made some significant changes...good for you! Remember, you control the food; don't let food control you. (I'm a work in progress) If you have carb concerns, take charge of them like you have fast food and sugar. Changing the way you eat for a so much healthier life is worth the challenges.

All the best to you!
  • erikwwikstrom
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. A little improvement each day is much better than "perfection" for a few weeks followed by a rage quit.

Start with a moderate calorie deficit. Just enough for 1 pound a week. Get in the habit of weighing and measuring, and logging your food. It takes time for it to become habitual.

If you do screw up, and we all screw up, get back on track immediately whether it be the next day, the next meal, or to simply catch yourself and push away from the table.

Do a little exercise every day. In the beginning just get in the habit of walking, but do it every day. Once the habit of exercise has been established then add some strength training. For now though, just walk. Again, a little each day done consistently over time is much better than an intense exercise program that you don't stick with.

Do that, and come back in 2 months and let's talk next steps.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Start slowly and just enjoy every small change along the way. You can do it!