April 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - My Glycerin 13s are my favorite shoes! They are my second pair. I wear a wide, and there aren't that many running shoes that come in wide so I am somewhat limited. RE: wide shoes... I love it when shoe store people tell me, just buy a bigger size. No running store employee has ever said that! Just regular shoe store people.

@elise4270 - so sorry, again, about your injury. You have gotten so much running in the past few months. :cry:

@_nikkiwolf_ - When I have clothing issues like that I immediately just throw them away the second I get home! Because otherwise I forget and wear them and then realize it out on a run. Same is true with regular clothes.

@skippygirlsmom - yay! negative splits on two days! Good luck with your track fundraiser! I'm looking forward to @PoppetsMaster sense of humor. No pressure there @PoppetsMaster.

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @_nikkiwolf_ - I hate when shorts do that!! When mine wear out, the liner tends to slide where it isn't supposed to as well...very uncomfortable! Maybe an excuse to buy new gear?
    @karllundy I like the way you think :D I actually finally found a pair of shorts I really like a week ago; now I'm debating buying more of the same right away - not only to wear when the first one's dirty, but also to stockpile them in case they ever stop producing them or anything...
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @_nikkiwolf_ - When I have clothing issues like that I immediately just throw them away the second I get home! Because otherwise I forget and wear them and then realize it out on a run. Same is true with regular clothes.
    @ddmom0811 That's exactly what I did this time! I've learned that lesson from the last annoying pair of shorts last year - everytime I put them back in the closet in case I would gain some weight again and need them again; and then I forgot that they were too wide and wore them on a run. Not going to make that mistake again!

@dennie24 I hope your leg will be fine tomorrow! When in doubt, rather take an extra rest day to make sure not to aggreveate whatever is wrong. ... always easier to say than to actually do, I know!

@WhatMeRunning Thanks for sharing your beet root test results, interersting! I mix a bit of vegetable juice (beets/tomato/carrot mix) into my orange juice every morning, maybe I should be real bold and try making a real smoothie with them one day. Maybe! In general, I'm more a fan of beer than of beets, but the things we do for running...

Wow, I just saw the Strava challenges for next month are up, and the climbing one is going to be for 3,489 metres. That one's going to be tough!

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    April Running Totals (miles)
    4/1 – scheduled rest day
    4/2 – 13.31 easy
    4/3 – 7.83 easy
    4/4 – 4.59 easy 30 minutes + 4 strides
    4/5 – 14.14 warm up + speed work
    4/6 – 5.18 easy
    4/7 – 11.45 – short warmup, long speed work
    4/8 – scheduled rest day
    4/9 – 7.30 speed work
    4/10 – 11.67 easy
    4/11 – 3.87 easy
    4/12 – 7.78 warm up, speed work, cool down, commute
    4/13 – 3.92 easy
    4/14 – 7.30 warmup + light speed work
    4/15 – 3.86 easy
    4/16 – travel day, no running
    4/17 – 2.70 very easy
    4/18 – 26.39 Boston Marathon (couldn’t' run good tangents)
    4/19 – travel day, no running
    4/20 – 4.05 recovery run
    4/21 – 5.28 easy
    4/22 – 4.00 easy
    4/23 – ad hoc rest day
    4/24 – 13.26 Flower City Half
    4/25 – planned rest day
    4/26 – extra rest day
    4/27 – 4 to 6 miles 3rd rest day
    4/28 – maybe 2 or 3 easy miles 4th rest day
    4/29 –
    4/30 –

April total to date – 157.88

Nominal Challenge Goal – 200 miles
    Real Goals: Taper well. Arrive at Hopkinton healthy. Run Boston well. Recover well.

Today's notes – I had hoped to run a bit today. I'm doing better than yesterday. Jogging my hallway while the eggs cooked was normal. I could do my full panoply of morning exercises - push-ups, pull-ups, Turkish get-ups with a windmill at the top, the funky bridge with leg lift my PT gave me in 2013, weighted one-leg calf raises, hip abduction/adduction with a resistance band, and even the kettlebell swings and snatches. Walking felt pretty normal, just some minor twinges in the right leg.

Got out and tested running a bit, no more than 200 meters at a time. Did two stretches in the morning, and 4 or 5 intervals at noon when I walked 2 miles to a mailbox and back to mail a bill. It was iffy. Sometimes it felt like I could keep going for quite a while. Sometimes I'd get an ache that might or might not be affecting my gait. What part of my leg ached varied; now one part of the calf, now another, then a hamstring, once the pesky hip abductor.

I could have talked myself into running an easy 3 miles today. It probably would have been OK. It might even have helped. But I got to thinking about what I wrote and other folks' comments on the injury thread. I decided that I could stand a fourth rest day in the hopes that the leg will be even closer to normal tomorrow. Told myself, there are no medals for a training run.

Looked at my records. The last time I had more than 2 non-running days in a row was May 16 through July 23, 2014. That period was recovery from multiple stress fractures in my left metatarsals. I really, really don't want to go there again, even if the issue isn't the feet. So today I'm not running any distance to speak of. Again. For the fourth day in a row.

The good news is, my appetite has toned down and it's easier to hold to my reduced calorie range than it was immediately after Boston. The bad news is, not running is driving me nuts. The ugly news is, if this goes on for a while I'll need to cut the calorie range some more.

But I am optimistic that I will be able to run tomorrow. I *could* have run today. I might have got away with it. Or I might have set my recovery back another week. That's a chance I don't want to take. A big thank you to @Elise4270 for starting the injury thread. By commenting there, I may have helped myself more than I helped her.

I will run again. Just not today.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY)
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hilton, NY)
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Today's notes – I had hoped to run a bit today. I'm doing better than yesterday. Jogging my hallway while the eggs cooked was normal.

I could have talked myself into running an easy 3 miles today. It probably would have been OK. It might even have helped. But I got to thinking about what I wrote and other folks' comments on the injury thread. I decided that I could stand a fourth rest day in the hopes that the leg will be even closer to normal tomorrow. Told myself, there are no medals for a training run.

But I am optimistic that I will be able to run tomorrow. I *could* have run today. I might have got away with it. Or I might have set my recovery back another week. That's a chance I don't want to take. A big thank you to @Elise4270 for starting the injury thread. By commenting there, I may have helped myself more than I helped her.

I will run again. Just not today.

1. I wish I had a hallway.
    2. You're welcome on the injury thread. Everyone, please feel free to stop by and have a cry. Study's show that runners heal faster when they can cathart to a group. (My study-your welcome).
    3. I wish I had a hallway
    4. How do you like your eggs? Runny?

Thanks again for the advice.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    50g Beet root
    140g Blueberries
    120g Dark sweet cherries
    120g Triple berry blend (blackberries, raspberries, blueberries)
    30g Beet greens (leaves and stems)
    30g Spinach
    30g Kale
    42g Mixed nuts (for fat and protein)
    1 scoop protein powder (for protein)

Holy shlt! This would make me run faster too... about 30 seconds after consumption...
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Man, I have really missed your sense of humor!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - In the morning, I cook my eggs sunny side up with the eyes closed. That is, after my 2 minute jog I add a bit of water and cover, and the steam cooks the top of the yolk pink while leaving the center soft and yes, runny. As I age, I favor them more done like a diner (30-40% solid) as opposed to the really, really runny that I liked when I was younger.

That's if I'm cooking 2 eggs. If I have to stop running for an extended period, it could go down to 1 egg. I'd fix that scrambled, because I can do 1 egg scrambled in the microwave quickly and easily with only a glass custard cup to wash. And in the heart of marathon training, at a later meal when I'll have 3 eggs, that's worth making an omelet. But there's no jogging when fixing an omelet; it requires intervention too frequently.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I got a softflask hydration glove thingy and a magnetic clip-on-the-shorts pouch for my birthday!
    My family is still not convinced that I might actually be able to run more than 10k, but by now they are willing to humor me and buy me weird running-related items anyway. :)

And I treated myself to a nice nighttime run to conclude the day. Although I'm not sure I ran nearly enough repeats of my little hill to account for the unholy amount of sweets and cake I ate today - how come colleages never bring you protein shakes and beet roots? :p

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I got a softflask hydration glove thingy and a magnetic clip-on-the-shorts pouch for my birthday!
    My family is still not convinced that I might actually be able to run more than 10k, but by now they are willing to humor me and buy me weird running-related items anyway. :)

And I treated myself to a nice nighttime run to conclude the day. Although I'm not sure I ran nearly enough repeats of my little hill to account for the unholy amount of sweets and cake I ate today - how come colleages never bring you protein shakes and beet roots? :p

exercise.png

Cool! And, Happy Birthday!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    50g Beet root
    140g Blueberries
    120g Dark sweet cherries
    30g Spinach
    30g Kale

Holy shlt! This would make me run faster too... about 30 seconds after consumption...

Ok, I shouldn't have a glass (or 2) of wine before I checked in here. Dying laughing after reading your reply.

@whatmerunning - it sounds quite healthy but I hate beets so if I could taste them at all, couldn't do it.
    Elise4270 wrote: »

2. You're welcome on the injury thread. Everyone, please feel free to stop by and have a cry. Study's show that runners heal faster when they can cathart to a group. (My study-your welcome).

LOL - I am just cracking up at everything tonight.

@_nikkiwolf_ - HAPPY BIRTHDAY! That's great that your family is supporting your running though! Running gear is the best!

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Happy Birthday @_nikkiwolf_ !!

Oh, you can taste the beets @ddmom0811. :smile: They are not the dominant flavor, but they are there!!:smiley:

I do my eggs the same way @MobyCarp, although that is the first time I heard the "eyes closed" reference to describe it. I like that.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Happy birthday! Congratulations on the running related gift! Thats great!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    4/1: Rest day!
    4/2: 5 miles
    4/3: 13.1 Caesar Rodney HM!
    4/4: 3 miles with Joe to Go crew
    4/5: Rest day
    4/6: 10 miles (am), 6 miles (pm)
    4/7: 7 miles tempo (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    4/8: Rest day
    4/9: 22 miles << Last super long run for this training cycle!
    4/10: 10 miles
    4/11: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    4/12: Rest day!!!
    4/13: 10 miles @ marathon pace
    4/14: 8 miles (am), 6.4 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    4/15: Rest day!!
    4/16: 10.75 miles + 6k (3.75 miles) race = 14.5 miles
    4/17: 7.1 miles
    4/18: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    4/19: Rest day!
    4/20: 8 miles
    4/21: 6.4 miles with Thursday crew
    4/22: Rest day!
    4/23: 6 miles
    4/24: 10 miles big group run
    4/25: 4 miles with Joe to Go crew
    4/26: Rest day
    4/27: 6 miles
    4/28: 6.4 miles

Good group run! A bit drizzly -- very similar to forecasted conditions for Sunday's race -- and that kept a lot of people home. We had a solid 20 runner last week. We had 7 today. Lots of people tapering though, to be fair. This is my last "long"/"normal" run before Sunday. IT'S GETTING REAL, FOLKS! :)

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K: New PR! 21:55
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM: New PR! 1:40:13
    4/16: River Horse 6K (Ewing, NJ)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)
    5/15: Princeton 5k << social event, not racing!
    6/11: Pacers Princeton Halfway Half (Princeton, NJ)
    7/4: a fourth of july race somewhere!
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Philly, PA)

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    5k run this evening. Felt good after 9 days off. I'll see if the knee pain flares up tomorrow - if not then I think I'm good to go for May :) Kept it easy with 2 miles at about 10:15 pace then sped up. Average pace 9:57. Spent almost as long stretching and foam rolling as running. Ha.

@_nikkiwolf_ Happy birthday! Running/fitness gifts are my favorite!

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @Elise4270 I'll run for you!
    4/28 - Short 3mi run. Was going to do 6-8, but thunderstorms developed literally when I was running. I was counting the time between the lightning and thunder and it was about 6-8mi away. So I had just enough time to run back to my truck and drive home (1.5mi). I had no target pace today. Just run by feel. Didn't even look at my garmin. I was looking at the incoming torrential downpour. And lightning everywhere. ---- Avg pace today was 8:28/mi.

Normally I wouldn't care about storm running. But I had my phone with me :/

4/1 - Easy 10.1mi @ 8:25/mi
    4/2 - rest.
    4/3 - 1mi fun hike for views of SLC. 400ft vertical.
    4/4 - Snowboard 41.8mi 30,000ft, descent (not counted on April total), 55.8mph top speed.
    4/5 - 7.3mi mountain (steep) run. About 2,000ft vertical, 14:31/avg. Medium effort.
    4/6 - Rest
    4/7 - 4.5mi easy w speed bursts 8:50 - 5:40/mi
    4/8 - rest
    4/9 - Beginners Luck 25k trail race (2:53)
    4/10 - 7.1mi on Black Mtn, 2,234ft vertical gain, 14:11/mi (PR)
    4/11 - AM 9mi easy (8:41/mi) ---- PM 6.4mi trail (1,207ft vertical) -15.4mi total
    4/12 - rest
    4/13 - AM: 2.25mi Med w H bursts (6:59 avg). 2.25mi slow back. PM: 10.2mi @ glacial (9:05/mi) - 14.7mi total.
    4/14 - 8.3mi easy. 463ft vert.
    4/15 - 5mi all out. 36:14 (7:15/mi)
    4/16 - 5.2mi recovery (873ft vert)
    4/17 - 22mi long run (9:35/mi) (705ft vert)
    4/18 - 3mi (7:31/mi)
    4/19 - AM 6mi easy (7:57/mi) PM: 2.2mi (8:44/mi) - 8.2mi T
    4/20 - 9.2mi steep mtn (3k vertical)
    4/21 - rest
    4/22 - 6.2mi (7:01/mi PR)
    4/23 - rest
    4/24 - 13.13mi (7:52/mi)
    4/25 - rest
    4/26 - 8.1mi (7:24/mi)
    4/27 - rest
    4/28 - 3.0mi

April total - 167.43 / 153mi
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    April Goal: Run often

4/1 couldn't
    4/2 4.05
    4/3 3.15
    4/4 ennui
    4/5 snorkel 3.5 hours
    4/6 6.30
    4/7 3.65
    4/8 5.81
    4/9 rest
    4/10 6.20
    4/11 strength train
    4/12 3.00
    4/13 rest
    4/14 3.96
    4/15 meh
    4/16 4.12
    4/17 strength train
    4/18 4.05
    4/19 4.02
    4/20 snorkel 3.5 hours
    4/21 too rough to snorkel: parasailed instead!
    4/22 6.70
    4/23 3.15
    4/24 rest
    4/25 3.15
    4/26 meh
    4/27 3.18
    4/28 4.10

Total 74.39
    @_nikkiwolf_ Wish you the happiest of birthdays!

Upcoming races:
    6/26 SHEPower Virtual 1/2 marathon
    11/13 Las Vegas Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Going to try this again. :| This is Lonewolfrunner aka Morningghost14... Real life kicks *kitten*. Especially mine.... but working through it. I have been staying up with my running fortunately, and I feel decently ready for my 50K on May 14. I will just follow along this month (I have about 140 miles so far), but will get my ticker going again for May. I have missed you guys.

@PoppetsMaster - Missed you too and so glad to have you back!!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    50g Beet root
    140g Blueberries
    120g Dark sweet cherries
    30g Spinach
    30g Kale

Ok, I shouldn't have a glass (or 2) of wine before I checked in here. Dying laughing after reading your reply.

@whatmerunning - it sounds quite healthy but I hate beets so if I could taste them at all, couldn't do it.
    Elise4270 wrote: »

LOL - I am just cracking up at everything tonight.

@_nikkiwolf_ - HAPPY BIRTHDAY! That's great that your family is supporting your running though! Running gear is the best!

Yup @ddmom0811 - wine and then reading here is very amusing!! I also hate beets and am pretty sure I would be convinced someone put a shovel of dirt in my smoothie because that is what they taste like to me!
    @Elise4270 - you can come run my hallway anytime!
    @_nikkiwolf_ - Happy Birthday!! Love that they are getting you running gear!

I had a great run this morning - had to be back for a meeting so I either had to run fast or cut it short, so I ran fast! 5+ miles at a 10:17 pace! My 5k (and 10k) PR Pace is 9:30 so I was pretty pleased with my pace today. Then Strength training tonight and since I can't really lift with my hand it is pretty much all legs and core work. Everything is screaming tonight! Recovery run in the morning, hopefully I won't have to rush again, just need to get out early enough. Then a longish run on the schedule for Saturday!
  • zmcgrandles
    zmcgrandles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    04/01 3.1 miles easy
    04/06 4.5 miles comfortable run
    04/08 10 miles much better than the last long run, managed to get out of the habit of walking breaks
    04/14 4.5 miles
    04/15 4.8 miles
    04/19 5 miles
    04/20 5 miles
    04/23 13.1 miles Longest run ever!!!
    04/27 6.5 miles Kept it easy with a little sprint at the end to fully stretch my legs out.
    04/28 4 miles Easy run with a couple of walking breaks just to keep it slow, out today for a 3 miler again at recovery pace.

exercise.png

03/20 Canterbury Riverside 10k 1:16:12
    05/29 Edinburgh Half marathon