How many calories does 1 hour of walking burn for a 135 lb female?

Options

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    It depends.

I walked 4 miles this morning in a little under an hour and got a NET burn of 296 from my Fitbit. I'm in the low 120's. Now my walk wasn't just flat terrain. There was a couple hills in the route as well.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,429 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    oneallmama wrote: »
    I guess my next question would be how to find out how fast i'm walking lol...

Speed = distance / time

Easy way: some kind of stop watch and Google maps.

But speed doesn't matter. Weight and distance do.

Speed does matter. It takes more to RUN a mile than to walk a mile (3.5 METS for walking vs 10 for running).

But running also uses more muscles and a 'jump' while when walking one foot always stays on the ground. That's the main reason for the difference in caliries.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    It depends.

I walked 4 miles this morning in a little under an hour and got a NET burn of 296 from my Fitbit. I'm in the low 120's. Now my walk wasn't just flat terrain. There was a couple hills in the route as well.

All these folks who can walk my jogging speed blow my mind :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    oneallmama wrote: »
    I'm scouring the internet trying to find a good answer... Some sites say 450, and some say 130. I have no idea. Has anyone tracked this on a heart rate monitor? Thanks in advance!

It largely depends how far you walk. c40 to 45 cals per mile at your weight, possibly a bit less.

I'll walk 4 to 5 miles in an hour, so at my weight, 160lbs, c 200 to 250 cals.

If I run, I'll cover 6 to 7 miles, so call it 600 cals
  • pafmarwak
    pafmarwak Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Another option is to link your watch or fitbit or other supported timing device to Map My Fitness and sync that to My Fitness Pal. Your stats are automatically transferred over to exercises. Map My Fitness is another UA app. It works well for me and is user friendly.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    It depends.

All these folks who can walk my jogging speed blow my mind :)

Me too!

I'm short and walking 4mph is pretty much my max speed!
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Heart rate monitor is not a good choice for estimating walking calories, your HR is probably out of the range where it can have reasonable accuracy.

Can you explain why to me please?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    Depends how fast you walk? I would guess somewhere between 150-250 if you are walking on flat terrain at your natural walking speed

this.
    for me, it's abut 300. Based on my height, my age, my weight, my gender, and how fast I walk.
    I wear a fitbit, and have worn a HRM.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 5'7 and 134lbs. Walking at a 12min/mile pace for 1 hour burns about 380 calories according to my Apple Watch.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    There's a website called mapometer which you can use to measure out a route for walking / jogging. That'd give you your distance and you already know your time.

http://gb.mapometer.com
  • niciabrighteyes
    niciabrighteyes Posts: 33 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Try Nike+Running. It calculates via gps and your pace. Also tracks if you go up hill.
  • yirara
    Options
    So we established further up that hr monitors and most tracking devices or sports apps grossly overestimate calorie burn. Yet people still take those numbers for face value. You don't even know if the numbers displayed are gross or net calories. If they are gross, which I'm pretty certain they are than you're basically double dipping to start with as gross includes your BMR.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

@SinomenJen
    Using HR is only a proxy for oxygen uptake it's not a measure of energy. It's making an assumption based on lab tests that a certain exercise HR equates with a approximate and average amount of calories burned by a sample of age/weight/gender.

Walking is going to have enormous variance in HR between individuals. Walking briskly I'm probably only at about 80bpm, someone less fit but same weight could well be far, far higher but let's assume 100bpm.
    Same weight, same distance moved our actual energy expenditure (calories) would be almost identical but the less fit person using HRM numbers would get 25% higher apparent burns than me.
    Remember than feelings of working hard are irrelevant when trying to estimate energy!

It's why using physics mass x distance x efficiency ratio (efficiency ratio doesn't vary much from person to person for walking) is more accurate than using a device designed to be accurate for HR (only) and with an added feature of giving "reasonable" calorie estimates under a limited set of circumstances.
  • yirara
    edited April 2016
    Options
    deleted
  • Lyenny
    Lyenny Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Before I got my vivosmartHR, I had found a site that you could estimate calorie burn by using your heartrate. http://www.calories-calculator.net/Calories_Burned_By_Heart_Rate.html

You enter your age, weight, HR and minutes of exercise. I guess if you don't have a heart rate monitor, you could take your pulse a few times for 6 seconds and add a zero to the end, or for more accuracy, take your pulse for 15 seconds and multiply by 4. Then just average it out to get an estimate.

This is one of the main reasons I got my vivosmartHR though....I LOVE being able to get a more accurate idea of how many calories I'm burning during all kinds of exercise.
  • yirara
    Options
    Lyenny wrote: »
    Before I got my vivosmartHR, I had found a site that you could estimate calorie burn by using your heartrate. http://www.calories-calculator.net/Calories_Burned_By_Heart_Rate.html

You enter your age, weight, HR and minutes of exercise. I guess if you don't have a heart rate monitor, you could take your pulse a few times for 6 seconds and add a zero to the end, or for more accuracy, take your pulse for 15 seconds and multiply by 4. Then just average it out to get an estimate.

This is one of the main reasons I got my vivosmartHR though....I LOVE being able to get a more accurate idea of how many calories I'm burning during all kinds of exercise.

80 minutes of slow running
    Calorie Burned(kCal): 1436.207

No way! As explained above HR is not part of the equation for estimating calorie burn.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    I'm currently 5'7 and 134lbs. Walking at a 12min/mile pace for 1 hour burns about 380 calories according to my Apple Watch.

What? I know you are quite a bit taller than me, but you can WALK a 12 min/mile? Are you sure? Have you verified distances with your car or on mapmywalk.com? I just can't comprehend.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    For me, I'd give it tops 100 cals.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »

What? I know you are quite a bit taller than me, but you can WALK a 12 min/mile? Are you sure? Have you verified distances with your car or on mapmywalk.com? I just can't comprehend.

I have legit powerwalked a ten minute mile and I'm 5'9" and a slow runner. Maybe leg length is a big factor? I am sure I could not maintain that pace for an hour though.

All of the calorie in and out calculating, it's estimates at best - you can't really micromanage diet and exercise, you have to adjust as you go. If your weight goes up, eat less or work out more, if it's going down keep doing what you are doing (or eat more, if you are trying to maintain your body mass.)
  • onefitproject
    onefitproject Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Heart rate monitor is not a good choice for estimating walking calories, your HR is probably out of the range where it can have reasonable accuracy.
    Simplest way (not necessarily most accurate) is use a phone app such as Runkeeper or one of the many other GPS based apps.

Once you know your distance you can verify the numbers with this formula:
    Net Walking calories Spent = (Body weight in pounds) x (0.30) x (Distance in miles)

So if you walked 3 miles it would be 121.5 cals

Sounds like good advice. I would still say get a chest strap HR monitor. It has ekg accuracy, you may just need to work up a light sweat in order for it to get an accurate reading. Many will also sync to the treadmills at the gym as soon as your in range (standing on the treadmill).