Calorie Intake to Weigh 140?

Options
Can someone for the love of chocolate tell me this - what's the caloric intake of someone who weights 140 pounds?

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,007 Member
    Options
    It would depend on their gender, age, height and activity level.
  • strob89
    strob89 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Haha, that's what the internet keeps telling me!

I'm in that post college lull where I've shot up 15 pounds simply by graduating and getting a steady job.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I find this calculator very helpful to figure out calories for weight loss and for maintenance.
    http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

my favorite. very easy. fewest info needed.
  • alwaysinpursuit
    alwaysinpursuit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    By your picture looks like you were in a sorority but if you just put your stuff in for the app it'll tell you assuming you put in the correct information
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It all depends. When I was 140lbs years ago, and extremely active I was eating 2500 calories but would burn probably around 1000-1200 calories. Depends on activity level, height, age, etc.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Ha! How tall are you? I work out about once a day, lift once a week or so, am 5'9" and maintain south of 140 on about 2,000 calories a day.

But if you are sure you haven't changed your eating since you weighed what you wanted to, it might be easier and more healthy to just increase your activity. Work out before work, go up the stairs never take the elevator, walk at lunch, jog when you get home, hike on weekends, stuff like that.
  • strob89
    edited April 2016
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    Ha! How tall are you? I work out about once a day, lift once a week or so, am 5'9" and maintain south of 140 on about 2,000 calories a day.

But if you are sure you haven't changed your eating since you weighed what you wanted to, it might be easier and more healthy to just increase your activity. Work out before work, go up the stairs never take the elevator, walk at lunch, jog when you get home, hike on weekends, stuff like that.

You lucky duck. I'm just under 5'5". 5'4.75". I work out about three - four times a week and have been eating an average of 1900 calories a week. I'm hovering around 154 because of it. MFP keeps suggesting 1280 but that seems nearly impossible.
  • strob89
    Options
    By your picture looks like you were in a sorority but if you just put your stuff in for the app it'll tell you assuming you put in the correct information

Definitely not a sorority girl.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

You lucky duck. I'm just under 5'5". 5'4.75". I work out about three - four times a week and have been eating an average of 1900 calories a week. I'm hovering around 154 because of it. MFP keeps suggesting 1280 but that seems nearly impossible.
    It's telling you that number because you're telling IT you want to lose 2Lbs a week. Change it to ONE pound a week and it will give you more calories (and it will be a better option).
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options

Definitely not a sorority girl.

Nothing wrong with being a sorority girl though I don't know the relevance of the original comment at all in this thread. Perhaps alwaysinpursuit is just another silly frat guy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

If you're maintaining at 1900 cals then knock that down to 1500
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Haha, that's what the internet keeps telling me!

I'm in that post college lull where I've shot up 15 pounds simply by graduating and getting a steady job.

just cut your current calories...one's calorie target at any one particular weight is going to be very variable as there are a lot more factors that go into it than just your weight. The more active you are the more calories you need...someone who is 140 and very active will need a lot more calories than someone who is 140 and sedentary...age also as well as gender.

Just knock off some calories from your current maintenance level of calories...it's easy math.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

It's telling you that number because you're telling IT you want to lose 2Lbs a week. Change it to ONE pound a week and it will give you more calories (and it will be a better option).

This. 2 lbs is too aggressive when you don't have much to lose. Also, MFP expects you to log your exercise and eat back a portion of the extra calories that gives you. So the calorie you get is your goal if you don't exercise at all that day.