Looking for Insanity partners

Options

Replies

• nitesky83
    nitesky83 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I take a picture once a week

quote="lozzle22;36296224"]
    Today is Cardio Recovery which = Boring!!!!!!! 2 more days till my rest day and then on to week 4!!!!!!!!

I just did cardio recovery today (day 4 so first time). I actually found it quite hard, it's definitely showed up my weak muscles so I think it'll be good for strenthening those up.

I'm only on day 4, so don't really expect to see any results yet, but I guess I am scared of going through this program and NOT seeing any progress. What day are you guys planning on doing progress photos? I'm planning on doing a weigh in once a week, so next monday will be my next.[/quote]

• cardertaxidermy
    cardertaxidermy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am in my 3rd week and I haven't lost any weight. I don't think I will do pics again until the end
  • Ewestlu
    Ewestlu Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    nitesky83 wrote: »

Amazing job!!! Congrats!
  • MWGemini
    MWGemini Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Question for the insanity experts. I am in week three I still cannot do any of the workouts straight through without stopping I have to take many breaks. is this normal? Even know I have to take breaks after I'm done week 4 for should I still continue to the second month? Or should I do a few more weeks of the first month until u get better????

I'm a marathon runner, former ultra-marathoner, long-distance triathlete, etc. I'm in my last week of Insanity and I've yet to be able to complete a single workout without taking multiple breaks (usually very short- a few seconds or so to shake it out and catch a breath). I can run or cycle or swim for hours on end, but my legs just don't have the strength to do all the jumping at that level of intensity for more than 30-90 seconds or so at a stretch. I try to go really deep on the squats and all jumping exercises, though.

I do like the Insanity program (and will be doing P90X and P90X2 and Athlean-X after I finish it), but I am not a big fan of how everything is lower body. There seems to be hardly any upper body or abdominal/core exercises, so I started supplementing the Insanity workouts with extra stuff of my own about 3 weeks in. Sometimes I would swap out a leg exercise with an ab exercise (hanging leg raises instead of power jumps, for example), or just use dumbbells or medicine balls or other stuff I have to add to the end of the workout. I also try to do a few runs each week. I will say, however, that in the last two months doing Insanity, my running pace has decreased by about 60 to 90 seconds per mile, and my heart rate at that speed has dropped about 10-20 bpm from what it used to be. So I've gotten *significantly* faster, and I'm working a lot less doing it. I'm *very* happy with that result.
  • mrs_kurz
    mrs_kurz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    MWGemini wrote: »
    Question for the insanity experts. I am in week three I still cannot do any of the workouts straight through without stopping I have to take many breaks. is this normal? Even know I have to take breaks after I'm done week 4 for should I still continue to the second month? Or should I do a few more weeks of the first month until u get better????

I'm a marathon runner, former ultra-marathoner, long-distance triathlete, etc. I'm in my last week of Insanity and I've yet to be able to complete a single workout without taking multiple breaks (usually very short- a few seconds or so to shake it out and catch a breath). I can run or cycle or swim for hours on end, but my legs just don't have the strength to do all the jumping at that level of intensity for more than 30-90 seconds or so at a stretch. I try to go really deep on the squats and all jumping exercises, though.

I do like the Insanity program (and will be doing P90X and P90X2 and Athlean-X after I finish it), but I am not a big fan of how everything is lower body. There seems to be hardly any upper body or abdominal/core exercises, so I started supplementing the Insanity workouts with extra stuff of my own about 3 weeks in. Sometimes I would swap out a leg exercise with an ab exercise (hanging leg raises instead of power jumps, for example), or just use dumbbells or medicine balls or other stuff I have to add to the end of the workout. I also try to do a few runs each week. I will say, however, that in the last two months doing Insanity, my running pace has decreased by about 60 to 90 seconds per mile, and my heart rate at that speed has dropped about 10-20 bpm from what it used to be. So I've gotten *significantly* faster, and I'm working a lot less doing it. I'm *very* happy with that result.

That's really interesting. I have noticed it's mostly lower body too, but Im planning to do p90x3 straight after which should help my upper body. I'm nearing the end of week 1 and so far I haven't lost any weight and my measurements haven't changed, but I'm really sore so I know I'm doing something. I guess I'm hoping for that "23lb weight loss" haha! I don't think it's going to happen, so I'm just going to see what does happen :) I'm 5' 5" and about 150lbs right now with an overal goal of 120-125lbs
  • unnichacko
    unnichacko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have been traveling for a couple of days and I have decided to start insanity from today and my main goal is to stick to it this time for the next 63 days.
    I am hoping I can do it this time.
    Here's my fit test result for the first week.

Switch Kicks - 119
    Power Jacks - 51
    Power Knees - 81
    Power Jumps - 42
    Globe Jumps - 11
    Suicide Jumps - 19
    Push up Jacks - 39
    Low Plank Oblique - 44 ( I was slipping so much cuz I was so sweaty )

Add me if you want to be accountable and also to motivate me to continue this time lol.
  • mrs_kurz
    Options
    Just finished pure cardio, first workout with no breaks... woah that was hard!! I just did what I could and took breaks when I needed to (which lets face it was during every exercise!! I know 5 days is too soon to start seeing results lol, but I'm impatient and my irrational mind is telling me I won't change, even though I've been eating super clean for 2 week and am doing the best I can with these exercises
  • Lorraine128
    Lorraine128 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

Hi @cardertaxidermy, don't worry about not being able to 'keep up' with the group on screen. Remember Shaun T repeats 'form over speed' again and again. As long as you are doing the best you can to keep up, using proper form, you will be improving all the time. Month two workouts are longer and so will feel tougher. No harm at all in sticking with month 1 workout for another couple of weeks if you you want to. The last thing you want is to get demoralised and give up altogether in month 2. Remember the '60 days' thing is just a guide, you can do this programme in any way you like. Not definitive I know, but you don't need to feel bound by the 60 days thing if you don't feel ready to move on to month 2
  • jordanamrussell
    jordanamrussell Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was Cardio power & resistance. I almost quit when I got 20 minutes in, then 30 minutes in but I made myself push through even though I kept stopping A LOT. Feels good to finish the whole thing regardless of how much I stopped though. I will get better and stronger!
  • cardertaxidermy
    Options
    lozzle22 wrote: »
    Just finished pure cardio, first workout with no breaks... woah that was hard!! I just did what I could and took breaks when I needed to (which lets face it was during every exercise!! I know 5 days is too soon to start seeing results lol, but I'm impatient and my irrational mind is telling me I won't change, even though I've been eating super clean for 2 week and am doing the best I can with these exercises

I have read a lot of articles or personal experiences online regarding insanity and a lot of people don't start seeing big results till month 2. I am not worried that I have actually gained a few lbs and am almost done week 3. I know I am eating good and I am exercising the best I can. Results will come!!!! I didn't get this out of shape over night so I know it will take a while to get in shape.
  • cardertaxidermy
    Options
    Yesterday was Cardio power & resistance. I almost quit when I got 20 minutes in, then 30 minutes in but I made myself push through even though I kept stopping A LOT. Feels good to finish the whole thing regardless of how much I stopped though. I will get better and stronger!

That is Awesome that you pushed yourself. I have to be honest and say that I hate doing the videos the entire time I am doing it, but the feeling of accomplishment afterwards is all I need.

Good Job!!!!! Keep it up!!!!
  • mrs_kurz
    Options
    I have read a lot of articles or personal experiences online regarding insanity and a lot of people don't start seeing big results till month 2. I am not worried that I have actually gained a few lbs and am almost done week 3. I know I am eating good and I am exercising the best I can. Results will come!!!! I didn't get this out of shape over night so I know it will take a while to get in shape.

Yep I've heard that about month two as well! Tbh I'm kind of scared of month two haha! But I'm committed to do the program through to the end as it was intended once, then if I re-do it I might modify it, or just throw in the workouts as and when

• MWGemini
    Options
    lozzle22 wrote: »
    MWGemini wrote: »

That's really interesting. I have noticed it's mostly lower body too, but Im planning to do p90x3 straight after which should help my upper body. I'm nearing the end of week 1 and so far I haven't lost any weight and my measurements haven't changed, but I'm really sore so I know I'm doing something. I guess I'm hoping for that "23lb weight loss" haha! I don't think it's going to happen, so I'm just going to see what does happen :) I'm 5' 5" and about 150lbs right now with an overal goal of 120-125lbs

I really can't stress this enough, for anyone out there doing Insanity or any other exercise/nutrition program: the NUTRITION part is *FAR* more important than the exercise part, but both are important. I see it like this:

There are three components to being healthy: 1) weight control 2) nutrition 3) exercise/fitness. Weight control is a fairly simple one- you just balance the calories in versus calories out. I could lose weight eating nothing but french fries and candy bars, but I wouldn't be Healthy. Likewise, I could gain weight eating nothing but super healthy food, if I ate enough of it. We're all on MFP logging our food, so we can get #1 figured out pretty easily. #2 is a lot harder, and is where most of us need to do the most work. This is about eating the right foods, cutting out sugary drinks like sodas and sports drinks, eating more fruits and veggies (I'm bad about this), eating on a more consistent basis (it's better to eat 6 smaller meals/snacks at regular intervals throughout the day than 3 larger meals, for example), etc. Most of these exercise programs contain meal plans/suggestions, and there's a lot of good info on MFP and other sites- read it and use it :). I've found that making small steps and just slowly building on them over time has helped me to stick with things much more easily.

Lastly, there's the exercise/fitness portion, and there are tons of good programs out there, both for free or for sale, and lots of good info. Insanity is a good program, so is P90X. I don't have much personal experience with any of the others. None of them are perfect, and all of them require a little modification to your individual needs/goals.

As for losing 23lbs, @lozzle22, you can definitely do it, but you probably will not see it in 2 months. Personally, I dropped about 20lbs over the course of 6 months just by cutting out sugary drinks and reducing my portion sizes a little bit, without changing my exercise at all. Keep in mind that if you're not a very fit person right now (i.e. you don't exercise regularly), you may actually GAIN weight at first, or throughout parts of the program, as your body puts on muscle. This is normal, and it's a good thing, because that will help increase your metabolism, and burn more fat, and ultimately make you healthier, and you'll also look and feel better. Athletic/fit is a lot more attractive than skinny :).

I'll also second what @Lorraine128 said to @cardertaxidermy:
    Hi @cardertaxidermy, don't worry about not being able to 'keep up' with the group on screen. ... As long as you are doing the best you can to keep up, using proper form, you will be improving all the time.

The people in the videos are all professional athletes/personal trainers/etc. If you can't keep up at first, that's okay. Go at your own pace. Push yourself (hard!), but don't push so hard that you injure yourself. If you need to turn the first month into a 90 day program because you're adding a rest day after each exercise, that's fine. If you want to repeat the first month a few times, that's fine. If you do the entire program and want to repeat it again (as I will be doing), that's fine too. The workouts and schedule are just a guide- adapt it to suit your needs. Just don't give up! Keep working at it, and as long as you are taking steps in the right direction (eating healthier, exercising more, pushing harder, etc.), you will eventually reach your goals. Slow and steady wins the race. Don't push so hard that you injure yourself or get burned out, because then you won't be making progress.

Being healthy is about making permanent lifestyle changes. Don't get tricked into thinking that all it takes is 60 or 90 days of hard work and then you're done. You started on a path to improve the rest of your life. Now all you need to do is keep moving forward. One step at a time, one meal at a time, one workout at a time, one day at a time. You can do it!
  • MWGemini
    Options
    I'll share another tip that I've learned from years of doing ultra-endurance sports. It's been my experience that my body can only process a certain amount of water in a given amount of time. When we're exercising, our natural tendency is to drink a lot more than our body can process (especially if we're working hard and breathing through our mouth), which leads to a stomach full of water, feeling bloated, etc. So instead of drinking tons of water, I just keep a piece of chewing gum in my mouth. I don't chew it the entire time- I'll wedge it between my teeth and the side of my mouth, and then chew on it for a few seconds when my mouth gets dry. I've run dozens of marathons without drinking a drop of water, simply by having gum to chew on. I don't recommend that- you DO need water, but this may help you to avoid drinking too much (because running or jumping around with a stomach full of water doesn't feel good).
  • cardertaxidermy
    Options
    @MWGemini Thanks for all the help and tips. It's nice hearing other people's advice from experience. The gum is a great idea, I can usually hear my stomach sloshing by the end of the videos.
  • cardertaxidermy
    Options
    Plyometric Cardio this morning. That video kills me every time. Sweat dripping off my face. I Love it!!!!!! Rest day tomorrow and then I start Week 4 Monday. I can't believe I am already going to be on the last week of the first month. Time flies when your having fun!!!!!!

What video did everyone else do today??????
  • mrs_kurz
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful replies!' I absolutely agree nutrition is king! I started eating completely clean (with an occasional treat) and I feel good! There's no way I'm doing insanity and wasting all the effort with bad nutrition!! I just want to make sure I'm eating enough calories :)

Confidence booster today, I just finished week 1 so did Plyo cardio for the 2nd time. First time I repeated a workout and I could do SO much more than I did on day 1!! It's given me another reason to keep going and to know that the weight WILL come off, just maybe not in the first week haha!

And I'm definitely not in this for 60 days and nothing more, I plan to do p90x after this and I live in Switzerland where they are hugely obsessed with fitness so am going to incorporate more fitness/cycling/hiking into my everyday life :) I want a healthy lifestyle.
  • Lorraine128
    Options
    What video did everyone else do today?????? [/quote]

@cardertaxidermy, I'm behind this week as I had to take Tues & Wed off, so been playing catch up. Ditched Cardio recovery altogether as I don't enjoy it. I did Cardio Power & Resistance today. Pure cardio & abs tomorrow. I'm feeling the improvements starting now at end of week 2.
    Trying to keep the eating clean is the biggest struggle.....
  • Ewestlu
    Ewestlu Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Going to be finishing up week one this afternoon with plyometric cardio :)
  • Lorraine128
    Options
    Ewestlu wrote: »
    Going to be finishing up week one this afternoon with plyometric cardio :)

Fantastic @Ewestlu, Week 1 over! How did you find it?