weight lifting question

Okay I'm a noob. I have some questions.
I am 27 year old female. I weigh 210 lbs and my height is 5.3 ft.

My question is.
I read that more reps with low weights mean cutting and few reps with heavy weights mean bulking.

What if I lift heavy with few reps but at deficit.

Would I be able to lose weight or fat?

Thanks a lot.:)

Replies

• Hi Night_Watcher,
    I am a relatively new strength trainer (since August 2015) and I have read many books from Amazon on the subject as well as researched it on the internet. The general consensus is that heavy weights will build muscle, which in turn burns fat. It is a myth that light weights with many reps will stop you from getting bulky. Heavy weights (if you are female) will not get you bulky because you do not have enough testosterone. Add to that the fact that you are in a calorie deficit and you have even less chance of becoming bulky. I started out at 9.10 lbs and now weight 8stone 10 lbs. My body fat has gone from 23% to 19% and I am no way more bulky - in fact I am loads smaller, now fitting into a size 8 whereas I used to be a 12. So you carry on building yourself up to heavy weights as much as you can and you will reap the rewards :-)
  • night_watcher
    night_watcher Posts: 825 Member
    Hi Night_Watcher,
    I am a relatively new strength trainer (since August 2015) and I have read many books from Amazon on the subject as well as researched it on the internet. The general consensus is that heavy weights will build muscle, which in turn burns fat. It is a myth that light weights with many reps will stop you from getting bulky. Heavy weights (if you are female) will not get you bulky because you do not have enough testosterone. Add to that the fact that you are in a calorie deficit and you have even less chance of becoming bulky. I started out at 9.10 lbs and now weight 8stone 10 lbs. My body fat has gone from 23% to 19% and I am no way more bulky - in fact I am loads smaller, now fitting into a size 8 whereas I used to be a 12. So you carry on building yourself up to heavy weights as much as you can and you will reap the rewards :-)
    Thanks a lot. Can I friend you?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Rep range effects are miniscule when compared to other factors.

To cut fat:
    • Eat at a small deficit
    • Use a progressive strength training protocol - where you aim to increase the weight consistently over a period of time (5x5 Strong lifts is a well respected version of that which gets the trainee lifting 5 reps for 5 sets)
    • Ensure that you are taking in adequate fat (for good health) and protein (to aid muscle repair and help retain muscle during the cut)
    • Add in other exercise if you feel like it or enjoy it

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    You've read wrong. Cutting and bulking has to do with your calories, not with the weight you're lifting.

Lifting lighter loads for higher reps leads to hypertrophy, while heavier loads for fewer reps is primarily strength. Both lead to muscle growth, which isn't a bad thing. It takes years and lots of food to bulk up.

I personally lift heavy and haven't bulked up because my calories are not set with the goal of adding weight.

Lifting helps you retain muscle mass as you lose weight. Muscle mass uses a few more calories than fat, so your BMR will be a tad higher. Retaining muscle will also make you "smaller and more compact" once you reach your goal weight/size.

Yes, you can lift heavy and still lose weight since weight loss is primarily balancing your calories so that you're burning more than you're eating. Lifting doesn't burn as much in the short term as cardio, but the benefits of lifting are great.

All of this... also Toph is awesome.
  • one1fast68
    one1fast68 Posts: 51 Member
    I don't think I read anyone say - you can't add muscle in a calorie deficit. You can preserve muscle but it's physically impossible to gain.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    one1fast68 wrote: »
    I don't think I read anyone say - you can't add muscle in a calorie deficit. You can preserve muscle but it's physically impossible to gain.

Unlikely for the OP, difficult for nearly all. But not impossible.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    edited April 2016

Totally disagree.
    The duration of the deficit matters. Combining a diet and exercise program where you run a deficit with high reps/cardio/low carb/high protein followed by a high carb/heavy weight training provides some significant advantages especially when you are trying to lose that last bit of fat and still improve strength. (Carb cycle).

Following this type of diet approach is, however, counterproductive if you have a lots of weight to lose. A less restrictive lifestyle change would be better with perhaps the occasional indulgence (moderate).
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited April 2016

Since the OP is a "noob" (her statement) and overweight, she is actually at the prime of taking advantage of being able to add muscle easily, even being in a deficit.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html/

"So consider the combination: we have a situation with overfat beginners where fat cells are very insulin resistant and essentially trying to push calories away. Now we throw training on that, not only sending a muscle building stimulus via training but increasing nutrient uptake into skeletal muscle through effects on skeletal muscle nutrient uptake/insulin sensitivity.

And what happens under those circumstances is exactly what you’d expect: the body appears to take calories out of fat cells and use them to build muscle. And this is effectively what is happening due to the combination of the above two factors. But the combination of the two is required. A lean beginner won’t see the above because they don’t have the fat to lose/fat energy to shunt to the muscle. And as they get more advanced, the rate of muscle gain slows way down. Again, it’s the combination of overfat and beginner status that comes together here to let some magic occur."
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    I would agree that a newbie can show muscle gains even in a deficit. That's what I've found over the last month - I now have guns! :)
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member

It is not physically impossible. To state impossible means you are outright ignoring edge cases like the massively obese, and geared lifters.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited April 2016
    I personally wouldn't concern myself with that right now. You losing weight is going to come down to your calorie intake.

If you want to burn more calories during your workout i recommend something which keeps your heart rate up the entire time like HIIT, Circuit Training, Plyometrics, etc. These training modalities allow you to perform resistance exercise (which is necessary for retaining optimal muscle mass) while burning calories and increasing cardiovascular fitness. I'd say at your current weight this is what i would recommend to you.

At this point your body fat is too high to see how much muscle mass you have and even with high weight/low rep or high rep/low weight you're going to inevitably lose some muscle mass as you shed the pounds. So long as you are performing resistance exercises, are eating adequate protein, and don't have a HUGE deficit, you will have done everything you can to maintain some muscle mass as you slim down.

In any case, I think you need to find a training style you enjoy, will maintain, that burns a decent amount of calories, and go for it.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited April 2016
    I agree with @rainbowbow. I think you would benefit most by getting your diet in check--weigh your food to ensure a deficit. And add a push/ pull routine into your daily schedule. Maybe alternate days of (4 sets x 8-15 reps) variations of the following:

A: squats/push-ups/pull-ups/sit-ups/bridges
    B: lunges/planks/step-ups/pull-ups
    10 to 15-minute duration

You can start with easier versions like chair squats and counter height push-ups. Work on your form. Then perform for time. Increase the resistance once you can complete the higher reps.

(Google bodyweight programs like Nerd Fitness, YAYOG)
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    CiaraCatch wrote: »
    I would agree that a newbie can show muscle gains even in a deficit. That's what I've found over the last month - I now have guns! :)

As you lose body fat your muscles become more pronounced. Also, after weight lifting (probably when you are paying most attention) you get a muscle pump effect where your muscles will appear larger for several hours or longer. More visible muscle, and even strength gains, do not mean you gained muscle mass.
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    CiaraCatch wrote: »

As you lose body fat your muscles become more pronounced. Also, after weight lifting (probably when you are paying most attention) you get a muscle pump effect where your muscles will appear larger for several hours or longer. More visible muscle, and even strength gains, do not mean you gained muscle mass.

Yes, I agree with that. However I've only lost 2lb in the last month, and the new muscle has remained evident even when I haven't trained for 2-3 days, so it's not just a pump.
  • night_watcher
    night_watcher Posts: 825 Member
    Thanks a lot guys. So basically. If I am eating at deficit I will be losing weight either I'm doing cardio or weight training.

I try n add at least 1 hour of medium paced slow walking daily. While I lift 3 days a week. One arm day. One core day and one legs day. 40 min each approximately. With 20 to 30 minutes warm up n cool down.

I am using a beginner program for training available at jefit. It's been a couple of weeks. I am increasing resistance every two weeks.

My macros are set to 40 carbs 30 fats and 30 protein. (Percentages).

I eat around 1500 to 1700 cals daily. I also try n reach at least 80 percent of my protein goal.

The question is. As per my logging chart and deficit that I am creating 500 to 700 cals daily. I should have lost around 6 lbs. But I am maintaining. But I've lost my 10 inches over all. I must be gaining muscle that's why scale is not budging. Is this normal? And how long does it take for obese people like me to get the scale moving.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Thanks a lot guys. So basically. If I am eating at deficit I will be losing weight either I'm doing cardio or weight training.

I try n add at least 1 hour of medium paced slow walking daily. While I lift 3 days a week. One arm day. One core day and one legs day. 40 min each approximately. With 20 to 30 minutes warm up n cool down.

I am using a beginner program for training available at jefit. It's been a couple of weeks. I am increasing resistance every two weeks.

My macros are set to 40 carbs 30 fats and 30 protein. (Percentages).

I eat around 1500 to 1700 cals daily. I also try n reach at least 80 percent of my protein goal.

The question is. As per my logging chart and deficit that I am creating 500 to 700 cals daily. I should have lost around 6 lbs. But I am maintaining. But I've lost my 10 inches over all. I must be gaining muscle that's why scale is not budging. Is this normal? And how long does it take for obese people like me to get the scale moving.

Are you weighing all of your solid/semi-solid foods? If not, you may be overeating and not even realize it. Measuring cups are widely inaccurate for foods and should only be used for liquids. Here's a video to kind of show you what I'm talking about. Also, the lack of scale weight loss could be your newbie muscle gains or water retention. You body will hold onto extra water to repair muscles, which will mask any scale losses.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Also, I haven't seen it mentioned yet but anime sucks.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Also, I haven't seen it mentioned yet but anime sucks.

how. dare. you.
    49.gif
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Hi Night_Watcher,

This. My husband has lost 30ish pounds lifting heavy.

Because I had a preexisting joint issue, I was advised by my MD and Physical Therapist not to lift until I lost weight. I was 157 when I started lifting a year or so ago. I weigh 165 now, but all of the same clothes fit and well. I am trying to cut back to 160 now. But I am only eating a slight deficit because I don't want to lose the muscle gains I have made.