SODAHOLICS

Options
I am going to try to quit soda cold turkey. I drink so much of it I bet I could lose a fair amount of weight by cutting out soda and nothing else. I just keep reading more and more how bad it is for you.

Whose with me.

:drinker: <---water.

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I cut out pepsi a few years back. i used to drink 2 to 3 cans a day. i lost 10 lbs in a week and half just from that.
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I did that about 4 weeks ago. Dropping from a 12-pack a day to nothing was a bit tougher than I expected. The first couple of cold-turkey days were really bad! I'm just now allowing myself to have one every now and again, but only because they're now a treat - not a ritual.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    went cold turkey Dec. 2009. lost 30 lbs. in 2 weeks. haven't had any since.
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    I'm with you , finishing my last bottle now :drinker: :cry:
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt suggest you give it up all at once... since you love it so much. Gradually lessen it until you eliminate it

Yea, i stopped drinking soda for a while now and it does prove to be better... though i will have one from time to time.
  • d_llopez
    d_llopez Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I quit soda a couple of years back. You might get headaches but keep drinking water and that's all you'll want to drink.
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    I'm on my 27th day without a diet coke! Days 1 and 2 were bad for me, I got terrible headaches, but take some aspirin and drink LOTS and LOTS of water!! You can do it!
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt suggest you give it up all at once... since you love it so much. Gradually lessen it until you eliminate it

Yea, i stopped drinking soda for a while now and it does prove to be better... though i will have one from time to time.

I agree. Especially if you drink caffeine sodas. It's not a pretty picture to quit that cold turkey, instead cut down to a few a day and gradually ween yourself off of the soda and caffeine together. You'll avoid the headaches and grumpiness that way
  • runslikeagirl
    runslikeagirl Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I can't live without soda. I now drink Diet!! Diet Dr Pepper is my favorite, but Pepsi Max is a close second. I try to drink like 4 waters to one diet soda, otherwize I would drink DDP's all day long... Good Luck!!
  • hwilliams519
    hwilliams519 Posts: 428
    Options
    What if you only drink diet drinks...could you still lose weight from quitting them? I know diet drinks really aren't good for you either, but it's really hard to give them up.
  • Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    Options
    I'm trying to wean myself out of the soda by quitting the regular and drinking diet. I'm starting to cut out the diet now too and will have a regular about once a week if it's a special occasion :ohwell:

Gotta love the water! :drinker:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I'm about to do the same thing... I just drink way too much... anywhere from 12-60 oz. a day. It's going to be my July goal. I know I can do it as I have done it for shorter stretches of time... I just need to be more resolved and do it for the long haul.
  • CrimsonHellkite
    Options
    i been thinkin about cutting out my diet soda intake, i drink like 2 gallons of water a day but i loooovveee the bubbly tingly soda! all i drink is diet sodas, but i still think it cant be good for me, i prolly drink like 32-64oz of diet coke a day,
  • BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I use to be this guy, I would consume on avg 6-8 20 oz. bottles of soda a day, (or pop if you will for my northern brethern) however in Jan. I quit drinking soda cold turkey if you will. Within the first 2 weeks, I dropped ten pounds, without working out. To this day, I only drink water, all day, everyday. I took a sip of soda about a month back, and it was disgusting to me. It does work, plus the more water you consume, the more toxins you flush out of you system.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    good luck! i just did that with diet dr. pepper... only had a headache for a day and now i'm fine.
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Just switch to beer, Forkdown. :tongue:

I think it's awesome you're going to quit. Soda...both regular and diet are so bad for you. I switched to seltzer when I ffirst quit, because I missed the carbonation. Now any soda is just too sweet. Good luck.
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I use to drink 2-3 a day. I am down to one a day if that. It is worse when it is on my house. My hubby drinks Mt. Dew which i HATE so i am good on that part. Now i will have one every other day every 2 days..
  • lins_crafters
    Options
    I have been slowly cutting back. I think I am to the point now I can quit and not suffer the headaches! Lets do it :tongue:
  • soonersgirl
    soonersgirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I switched to diet 3 weeks ago....and I haven't went back. But I also find that I crave water alot more....so that's good.
  • BigClaire88
    Options
    I drank alot of coke but since joining this site nearly a week ago I havn't had a drop. It's there in the fridge if I 'need' it and for when people visit.. a friend came round and had a glass the other day but I stuck to my guns and had a glass of white grape and peach juice instead. I'm going out this evening and I intend to do the same, no fizzy drinks for me!