How do you keep to a healthy lifestyle?

Options
2»

Replies

• victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    You don't need to cut out bread and pasta and all the foods you enjoy! I've lost 86 lbs, gone from 212 to 126, and I ate bread and pasta. Lots of it. Oh and cookies every day! Honestly the best thing you can do for yourself is figure out how to enjoy food in moderation to set yourself up for long term success. Be realistic with your goals
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It truly does need to become your lifestyle -- not just for this moment - for life! That took me quite a while to figure out. Many folks have said you don't need to cut out certain foods. I agree, Unless, you feel better and less bloated for not eating certain things. Pasta, rice, bread - there are some things that make Some people feel bloated, gassy and just over all icky. I did give all wheat products up for a medical reason and WOW felt so much better. So, for me, living this lifestyle makes this old woman be able to run Circles around much younger people. I have a picture hanging in our living room of myself and my husband with our USMC son & wife at the Marine Ball in November 2012. We seriously looked like the people that ate the people we are now, both down 70+ pounds. How we feel, how we live, how we eat, this is It. We are not on a "diet".
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    jamiezenda wrote: »
    Right now I weight 225 for my height I should be about 120. Now, I realize that isn't healthy for my body so my goal is 160 lbs. I work out 4 times a week and I am starting to go for 6 a week. I cut out bread, pasta, potatoes etc. What does everyone else do to stay on track and keep going?

I track my calorie intake. I plan meals and pre-log my food for the whole day.
    I use my calories for food instead of drinks so I drink water or unsweetened tea mostly.
    I did not cut out bread, pasta or potatoes. I eat pretty much the same foods I always did but stick to my calorie goal, try to get enough protein and eat several servings of vegetables or fruit a day. Very painless and sustainable.
    I exercise moderately- not so much for weight loss as general health.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I eat well...including bread, potatoes, and pasta...there's nothing inherently unhealthy about those things. Potatoes in fact are packed with awesome nutrition. I eat a lot of whole grains, legumes, lentils, tons of veg, some fruit, lean sourced protein and healthy fats from things like nuts and avocados and good cooking oils.

I exercise regularly...I primarily cycle for my cardiovascular fitness...I ride 5 days per week with most of my rides being about an hour long and I usually try to get in a longer 2-3 hour ride in on weekends. I hit the weight room 3x per week.

Outside of my desk job I try to just be generally active...working in the yard, playing with my kids, going to the zoo, etc. I watch very little television and try not to just sit around doing nothing too much.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest + that has helped me is to stop thinking of this as depriving myself. I eat lean meats (seasoned well) and healthy vegetables (asparagus/broccoli/steamed carrots and onions). Be creative: leaks. are. amazing btw. Fruit (kiwi/mango/grapefruit), NUTS (in moderation/weighed of course)...find amazing food to fill your calorie goals and enjoy every minute of it! And find some fabulous friends on here to keep logging in: my MFP friends are WAY more supportive in my health goals than anyone I know here at home. Connect with new people and feed off their motivation and excitement to keep you logging in!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    jamiezenda wrote: »
    Right now I weight 225 for my height I should be about 120. Now, I realize that isn't healthy for my body so my goal is 160 lbs. I work out 4 times a week and I am starting to go for 6 a week. I cut out bread, pasta, potatoes etc. What does everyone else do to stay on track and keep going?

In order to lose 55 lbs, I simply ate fewer calories than I burned. I didn't cut out any food groups.

I did, however, weigh and measure everything I ate. I also investigated the local grocery stores to find good tasting low calorie foods and thus expanded the variety of food I eat.

And I am active every day.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    The only special thing I do is sign on to MFP every day and weigh/log my food.

Otherwise, exercise is whatever I feel like (walking, Pilates, etc.) when I feel like doing it. I eat treats every day. I eat carbs every day. I make my food as delicious as possible. That's what works for me.

I've lost 10 lbs in two months and have about 10 lbs to go.

Sounds exactly like me except the Pilates. I need 20 more to go.
    OP - Eat everything you like or you'll hate it and stop it.
    Cook delicious food. Just prelog your portions and don't go for second helpings.
    Don't make weight loss be weird or difficult or 'a diet'. Just learn to eat reasonable portions and more low calorie foods like vegetables. And of course buy a digital scale and weigh everting if you don't already. Log everything in MFP and stay in your limit.
  • phyllis731
    phyllis731 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I meal prep, so all my meals are ready to go for the week. I cut vegetables so they're available to me when I want them. I chew fruity gum to deal with any sugar cravings that may come up.