How to find a good sports bra...

Options
I have a couple of sports bra that work just fine for my typical workouts. However, I'm doing a half marathon in c ouple of months, and thought the ones I have may or may not be good enough for that. How do you know what to use?

Replies

• innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'm in need of a wicked sports bra - particularly one with an underwire.
  • Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    Options
    Where did you get yours? I haven't found any that don't hurt...
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    honestly, I have a larger cup size and the only thing that even half-way works for me is Enell- it isn't pretty but it works in a kind of bind the breasts to the chest way

then next best seems to be shock absorber (but it is not made in my cup size)

http://www.enell.com/
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'm in need of a wicked sports bra - particularly one with an underwire.

I also always used to wear one with a wire until mine was discontinued
    freya makes a decent underwire sports bra, but still nowhere near as antibounce as my enell is :-)
  • SpectacuLaura
    SpectacuLaura Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have a larger chest as well and have a hell of a time finding a good sports bra. Surprisingly, Victoria's Secret V-Sport has several good ones to choose from. Even the ones without an underwire have been great (and fairly inexpensive.) I recommend buying a size down if you go without an underwire though- keeps the girls in a little tighter and more under control haha!
  • horseryder77
    horseryder77 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    A good sports bra is going to be one that feels good when you run, one that holds the girls so you don't even have to think about them while you run :). Every woman is different, but personally, the Nike pro bras work best for me.
    Here's a link:
    http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?sitesrc=uslp=#l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-380936/pgid-282969

Mostly because it doesn't have a wire, so there's no pinching and hurting. And it holds you tightly without restricting breathing.
    When you try on sports bras, jump up and down in the dressing room (as weird as it sounds.. but you'll be glad that you did). No sports bra is going to keep your chest from moving AT ALL, (if it does then breathing may not be included in that package) but if it doesn't hurt and you really don't notice/feel them moving, it's a good bra.

The Nike pro tends to run a bit small I think. I'm a 34C and I buy a size medium and it fits me perfectly.
    I've also heard people having luck with some underarmour bras.. they just don't work for my body.
    But for running bras, I'd definitely stick with the athletic brands/brands that normally make things for running. Good luck on your search!
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Ah...to be able to wear a sports bra in the Small, Medium, Large sizes. Extra-large almost fits me...almost. DANG 34DD (and no they don't shrink with weight-loss)
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Moving Comfort Fiona sports bra is my all time favorite. I'm busty so it's hard to find a good one. It has hook closure in the back so you don't have to pull a sweaty bra over your head after your workout. It also comes in band/cup size ranges. The best in my opinion! Here's a link-
    http://www.activelyyours.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=AY/PROD/bras/Fiona
  • Julie252
    Julie252 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like the Moving Comfort Maia bra.
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    I have a sports bra from Under Armour that has an underwire AND has a convienent 'normal' bra closure in the back (it's not an annoying 'pull over the head' deal). Under Armour products cost a bit more, but I think this bra is so worth it. I have a slightly larger than normal chest and the bra works well to keep me comfortable and not bouncing all over, haha.
  • princess_in_power
    princess_in_power Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Ah...to be able to wear a sports bra in the Small, Medium, Large sizes. Extra-large almost fits me...almost. DANG 34DD (and no they don't shrink with weight-loss)

^^^Me at the moment^^^
    , when I loose the rest of my weight, I'll be a 32DDD >:( And they are *mine* (I'm too poor for surgery or I'd have those puppies reduced to average!!!)

I just had to buy the walmart $18 heavy duty playtex bra (the disadvantage is it's hot) :(

I had a semi decent sports bra (till I let my friend borrow it, she stretched it out) :( And I can't find it anywhere!! So I'm in the market again, I do not like the ones that stretch! I'm to active in workouts AND SO heavy in the boobs that they loose shape & hold first time out. I saw a 34DD at my local athletic store that looked awesome, but it was $54!! :( not gonna happen
  • Aireyma
    Aireyma Posts: 55
    Options
    I have huge boobs. I judge my sports bra and how awesome it is by jumping. If they bounce...I need something different. I went to a running store and told the girl that I needed a bra to hold the girls still. I love my sports bra. It is by NO means attractive or sexy...but it works and I love it!!

Good luck!!
  • emilymiesel
    emilymiesel Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Endure by under armor. It's a front zip racer back style. I am a 32f/g an got the D one (which is a L)...they may have XL if you're a bigger cup but it holds my girls down! About 50 bucks at sports chalet. With a good bra you'll pay but it's worth it!!!!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Running stores sometimes have a good selection. Moving Comfort makes a few really good ones and so does Champion. Champion's underwire Powerback series is pretty good for large-breasted women and fits pretty true to size. Moving Comfort runs large in the band, so my Moving Comfort bras are all a 32 band size even though I normally wear a 34 band. I also always wear a bra top OVER the sports bra.

You absolutely want that band snug up against your rib cage--not only does that give you the best support, it also helps you to avoid chafing. However, that said, on lengthy runs in humid weather, there's still going to be chafing if you're busty so also pick up a tube of BodyGlide.

Avoid bras that hook in the front or --God forbid--zip in the front even if you are small busted as those will chew you to pieces on long runs.
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If you are in a "normal" size range, go to a running store and see what they have. They often have the better brands for running.

If you are larger, or don't find what you're looking for at a running store, I strongly recommend a good lingerie shop, one that sells bras for harder to fit individuals. I have one, I don't remember the brand, from Europe somewhere that is amazing. (I'm currently in a 38DDD.) I tried on a few different ones to find the one that fit comfortably but also held things.

I also recommend jumping up and down and whatnot when you're trying it on.
  • cavycity
    cavycity Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I found a pretty good one, it's cheap and holds my DDs in while I run. It's from Champion and looks like a regular bra, it has an underwire, minimizing cups, and a little hook on the straps in the back that turns it into a racerback. I found it at our local Gabriel Brothers (a discount chain). I don't know if this really helps, but try to look at some non-sports places for deals. Make sure when you put one on you do a jump test. For distance running, make sure there's very little movement, and that it does not rub anywhere. If it does, you'll end up with ouchy spots.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'm (only) a 34C, so I don't have the issues some of you ladies do but finding something that doesn't make me look totally flat-chested while still providing some support is important to me. I bought some at Old Navy this weekend that I actually really like because they fit well and have some padding. I ran in one this morning and I'm sold. They were $20 for two ($14-16 for one), so a pretty good deal, and the matching shorts made of a very nice wicking material were also $10 each.

My sister swears by the Champion sports bras sold at Target. She's about the same size as I am but she apparently has issues with most sports bras causing chafing under her arms when she runs marathons and other long distance events. She says that the Champions are the only ones she's found that don't cause that problem for her.
  • princess_in_power
    princess_in_power Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    . . . You absolutely want that band snug up against your rib cage. . . .
    Avoid bras that hook in the front or --God forbid--zip in the front

YES to snug bands! I hate mine ride up to my shoulder blades (I will never go back to VS, they don't know how to handle above-average busted women and don't carry small band (<34")-large cup(DD+) sizes anyways.

And YES to back closures, for me, because I've never had good support w/front closure (those always seemed to push the ladies together & cause a huge uni-boob NOT attractive or comfortable! (like this .. ΘD-< .. instead of .. ΘB-< .. ) (look at it sideways) =P
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Shock Absorber do awesome bras designed especially for running....
  • corimac
    corimac Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Moving Comfort Fiona sports bra is my all time favorite. I'm busty so it's hard to find a good one. It has hook closure in the back so you don't have to pull a sweaty bra over your head after your workout. It also comes in band/cup size ranges. The best in my opinion! Here's a link-
    http://www.activelyyours.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=AY/PROD/bras/Fiona

Another vote for the Fiona from me.