I just bought a food scale!

Options
foxygirl14
foxygirl14 Posts: 158 Member
I just bought a food scale and I'm so excited to start weighing everything! I just kept reading in pretty much every thread about someone plateauing that they were probably underestimating intake and that a scale is the best way to be safe. I know it's a little thing, but I'm excited. :)

Replies

• brewingPHX
    brewingPHX Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    It is so much easier to measure your serving size than going by "one cup"! You'll be glad you got it :)
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Good for you.
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It's a small purchase but leads to big progress!
  • ashleyadeline
    ashleyadeline Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to purchase a scale for awhile but keep putting it off!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    foxygirl14 wrote: »
    I just bought a food scale and I'm so excited to start weighing everything! I just kept reading in pretty much every thread about someone plateauing that they were probably underestimating intake and that a scale is the best way to be safe. I know it's a little thing, but I'm excited. :)

:D what's even stranger probably is that I'm excited FOR you! I love my food scale and seriously weigh (and measure) everything I eat.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You're in for a surprise, lol.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Good for you! You're in for a surprise, lol.

One of which will, unfortunately, be peanut butter. :neutral:
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Best weight loss tool out there!
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I agree with everybody! I love my scales, the one at home, at work, and in my purse! If you are at all nerdy about numbers and accuracy and things like that, you will love it. And, I second the sentiment about peanut butter. It is quite shocking and sad how very little 20 grams of peanut butter actually is. Happy accurate logging!
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I've been weighing everything (grams) so this morning, after a poster swore that "no company would put on a serving size that wasn't the same in weight and volume on a package" I used a measuring cup to weigh out my Special K cereal. A serving is 3/4 cup (32 g)

I measured out the 3/4 cup serving using my measuring cups and put it on the food scale ... which came out to 44 grams. That was an extra 60 calories.

Love my food scale :D
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Taking better control of your health is very exciting. Good for you!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,455 Member
    Options
    It's also much quicker than measuring, once you learn the tricks - like zeroing it with a plate or pan on the scale, then adding an ingredient, recording, zeroing again, etc.; and putting a jar (say peanut butter) on the scale, zeroing, taking out your portion, and reading the negative to learn how much weight you took out.
  • foxygirl14
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    It's also much quicker than measuring, once you learn the tricks - like zeroing it with a plate or pan on the scale, then adding an ingredient, recording, zeroing again, etc.; and putting a jar (say peanut butter) on the scale, zeroing, taking out your portion, and reading the negative to learn how much weight you took out.

That's a great tip, thank you!
  • foxygirl14
    Options
    Just an update. I LOVE MY FOOD SCALE. If you are wondering if you should get one the answer is yes! It's very enlightening and makes me feel so much more confident about using MFP. :)
  • SpeedGibson
    SpeedGibson Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have two scales, home and work. The only thing I wish for is for more items in the MFP database would have weight equivalents. "One slice" of pizza?? One "piece" of cake?
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yeah but you still wouldn't know exactly what made up the weight, how much of it is crust/sauce/cheese. It would still just be an estimate. It would be helpful to at least include the diameter of the pizza, since most pizza places let you know how big a medium is vs a large. (Some of the database entries do.) I usually just cross my fingers and overestimate in those cases. All bets are off with cake though. Normally if cake is involved in my day I'm already over goal before I get to it...
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Absolutely the best way to do it!
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am happy to see some of you have scales at work. I was thinking of doing it but thought maybe that was excessive. Off to Amazon I go!!!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    olive1968 wrote: »
    I am happy to see some of you have scales at work. I was thinking of doing it but thought maybe that was excessive. Off to Amazon I go!!!

We have a digital postage scale at work that I "borrow" sometimes when I need to check something.