Lifting Question...

Options
So I lift a minimum of an hour a day (sometimes as much as two hours) and do so everyday just about. I pyramid up and max out on everything I touch. Should I concern myself at all with cardio?

Replies

• mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Depends upon your goals.
  • DWalker4me
    DWalker4me Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't do much cardio either and lift similar to you. I am loosing weight and gaining muscle but I have notice my endurance is not where it should be. Recently I have started to add in Circuits towards end the of workout. It does at least get the heart rate up.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    doing cardio or not depends on your goals,

but .... i would be more concerned about lifting every day and not having any recovery time especially if you are maxing out everything. recovery time is very important.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    doing cardio or not depends on your goals,

but .... i would be more concerned about lifting every day and not having any recovery time especially if you are maxing out everything. recovery time is very important.

I agree with this. And yes, depends on your goals. I lift weights and do cardio. I want muscle but I want to be lean as well. Cardio helps with that. If you want just muscle, you don
    t "need" it.
  • LostCowboy
    LostCowboy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I switch off. One day is biceps and triceps. next chest, then shoulder and back. So I am not working the same muscles each day. I also take only about 30 seconds between reps until I hit that max out for me. Right now that is 205 on the bench, 250 on tricep pushdown (machine), 125 on bicep curls, etc.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    so when do you let your brain and cns recover?
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    LostCowboy wrote: »
    So I lift a minimum of an hour a day (sometimes as much as two hours) and do so everyday just about. I pyramid up and max out on everything I touch. Should I concern myself at all with cardio?

Yes.
  • NissyJournal
    NissyJournal Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That seems like a bit much, but I guess it depends on your age. I'm 42 and volume is a progress killer for me. I work out hard 2-3 days a week, circuit style, with max effort for 6-8 reps and a couple drop sets per exercise. It keeps my elbows, knees, and other parts healthy, while I constantly make progress. Cardio is maybe 1-2 days a week and is generally hill sprints, rower sprints, or some other HIIT style cardio.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    so when do you let your brain and cns recover?

dumb-and-dumber-shhh-o.gif

Your body doesn't need to recover, gawd
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    But seriously OP it depends on your goals. In all honestly they recommend for overall heart health that you perform either low intensity exercise for 30 minutes 5 days a week or high intensity for 25 minutes 3 days a week.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    LostCowboy wrote: »
    I switch off. One day is biceps and triceps. next chest, then shoulder and back. So I am not working the same muscles each day. I also take only about 30 seconds between reps until I hit that max out for me. Right now that is 205 on the bench, 250 on tricep pushdown (machine), 125 on bicep curls, etc.

If that's your routine, then yes - you are working the same muscles each day. You use your arms and shoulders for many/most chest and back exercises. Bench - for example - uses chest, triceps and shoulders primarily.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Where does leg day fit in?
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    _MistahJ_ wrote: »
    I'm still a bit confused how his push-downs are stronger than his bench.

because he's doing them on a machine, although its still confusing.
  • miss_aims
    miss_aims Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Where does leg day fit in?

yraay4to35wv.jpeg