Anyone else dealing with depression while trying to lose weight?

Options
I feel like my depression is creating a vicious circle, I feel bad about how I look and want to give up so I binge eat, sleep and stop working out. Then I feel guilty so I start to heavily restrict and work out a lot, and then the depression kicks in again and whispers in my ear "Nothing is changing, you're still fat and ugly. Why bother?" I feel like I'm obsessed with food, its all I think about. Maybe when my new job starts (dream job) I will stop focusing so much on eating all the time. Is anyone else going through this, or have in the past and fixed it?

Replies

• Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Start small, until you learn how to control it.
  • RachNRoll
    RachNRoll Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I was never clinically diagnosed (but I also never went to the doctor) so I don’t want to say that I was depressed, BUT I totally understand what you’re going through and the cycle. With me it always ended up with me crying in my boyfriends lap while he helplessly hugging me.

He would then start his upbeat speech on how consistency is the key for everything in life, and how giving up is not an option because then nothing would change for me.
    He pushed me to the gym and taught me to lift heavy weights. He also insisted in taking “before” pictures (which I hated because I was so fat and round, but had no say in the matter). I can say that in 2 weeks of clean eating only and exercise there was a huge difference in my back (fat rolls disappeared). The number in the scale wasn’t going down still (maybe even going up) despite all the effort, that’s when I started to count calories and macros again and being strict with food.

I’m like you, I’m obsessed with food and math, but I’m a routines kind of person and I like structure. I can understand that for some people it might be harder, but it helps to have a routine and a structure because then, when you feel like you need a “cheat meal” or a “treat” (for mind health) then you know that the structure is still there and it’s easy to go back to it again (drink tons of water to de-bloat, then go back to the old system).

Life isn’t perfect still. I have my moments. Yesterday I even had an argument with the boyfriend because I ate a Quest bar that wasn’t in the plan. I felt frustrated because I felt like I failed. Saying this now kind of sounds ridiculous.

The thing is, it’s hard. Don’t expect losing weight and getting back in shape to be easy without a structure and a plan (in my opinion). You shouldn’t heavily restrict as you say, but there will be some restrictions.
    There are 2 thoughts that usually help me: 1 - I love the feeling I get when I finish my daily food log and I’m on track; 2 - time will pass either way, wether you do something for yourself of not, so if you think 3 months ahead, you might have some results if you keep consistency or you’ll still feel miserable because you let the bad thoughts of depression take over.

I’m halfway there, lost almost 6Kg so far. It’s been 3 months. I have to admit that I’m a bit disappointed with myself, I hoped it was more, but I also know that 3 months ago I was way more unhappy with myself. I also know for sure that if I keep it up, in 3 months my body will thank me.

I hope my words were a bit helpful and that I didnt come up woo harsh. Sorry for my bad english (second language). Good luck!
  • mirandag57
    mirandag57 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Me :'(
  • kcongel90
    kcongel90 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys for commenting and letting me know that I'm not alone. I'll definitely think about this thread when I'm having weak moments.
  • saramickeydee
    saramickeydee Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    Small steps to build habits so even when I'm in the hole I do most things automatically.
    This has been a hard month. But I've still been exercising because that habit is getting pretty strong.
    Little things add up over time.
  • cesser1
    cesser1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I had that problem last time I tried to get rid of my weight. Sadly, I gave up. Now I have found so many different explanations for non-budging weight on here that it seems more part of the process rather than failure. There seem to be quite a few people in the same boat of not losing for the first few weeks, and I am sure they will be giving you good advice soon enough on here. The one that I can pass on immediately, try measuring your body, as you may be building muscle and changing shape. That weight might not all remain fat already. Good luck to you. Don't give up. Look at the success stories. And know you are not alone with the depression or the desire to lose weight. You are doing your body good at the moment, whether it shows or not.

Feel free to add me if you would like some more support on your journey.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Of course. We're human. :pensive:
    Comes and goes
  • JordanHealthCoach
    JordanHealthCoach Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this has been suggested or not, but I found that having a therapist/counselor REALLY helped. Mostly because they can help you feel better about yourself and be your support. Most have experience with emotional eating and can offer guidance around that. My negative thinking rules some days, but I'm much better at shutting it up :)
  • kcongel90
    Options
    I am excellent at being stubborn, so I will give that a shot :)
  • jamielikesyou
    jamielikesyou Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Recovering (finally) after a year and a half long depressive period - one of the darkest I've ever had and one in which I gained 80 or so lbs after starting medication. On another med now that has not affected my weight as strongly and am now clawing back against both the depressive thoughts and the weight gain. Hoping to return to work soon. Not out of the woods yet but at least I can find my way back to civilization ;) Feel free to add me to friends if you need someone to talk with and for support ❤️
  • wannabesexymama
    wannabesexymama Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have been battling depression for as long as I can remember but on top of that ADHD and an Anxiety disorder. I also find it hard to focus and keep myself on track, I am fighting through lack of motivation right now as my gym closed down for renovations after 2 weeks of hard training for me trying to make a habit. I have been inactive most of this week and I am aggravated with myself I think I may get off my but and be stubborn and clean and mow the lawn. I need this for ME and My body. My medial conditions need to know I am in control! Working out tends to help with my depression focus and anxiety as well as my Blood Pressure!
    Good Luck girl may we both find what we seek!
  • kcongel90
    Options
    Good luck to you too!
  • Dominique14614
    Dominique14614 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from intermittent depression for a good part of my life. Depression helped fuel my obesity and obesity fueled my depression. It is a vicious cycle. I also had other factors contributing to both as well. I still have days where I feel it trying to sneak back up on me but I refuse to give it a foothold. Exercise has now become a therapy session for me both mentally and physically.
  • suevand
    suevand Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    ((hugs)) I've been there and still am with my bi-polar disorder. It was easy to put on so much weight until I got help.

Your doctor will put you on a good antidepressant (make sure you get the weight neutral kind). Don't give up! Baby steps and one day at a time. I have been able to lose some weight by joining T.O.P.S. just over a month ago. Lots of help there, lots of encouragement and the nicest bunch of ladies I've ever met.

((Hugs again))

kcongel90 wrote: »
    Thanks you guys for commenting and letting me know that I'm not alone. I'll definitely think about this thread when I'm having weak moments.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Been there! And I did lose the weight... but I can't say it's helped my mental status much... now I'm just obsessed about not gaining it back...
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    are you being treated at all? meds, and/or counselling/therapy of some sort? it sounds like your depression is pretty severe, that's how much I would be struggling without help. for me the right meds help a lot with the basic day in/day out stuff.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Medication, therapy, self-care, and exercise are the things that keep me mentally stable. It's an ongoing battle.
  • kcongel90
    Options
    I am on medicine for depression and anxiety, and my incredibly supportive husband is always there for me which is beyond priceless. And of course, my adorable pitbull and carolina dog are always good for cuddles.