Anyone else not much to lose but struggling?

Options
2»

Replies

• nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm also 5'9" and chipping the last bit away. I have ~5lbs to lose, add me if you like.
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Last few are so much the hardest !
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    dannijordan30

I so feel that frustration. It's like having a 1st and goal on the 5, and STILL can't score.

I'm down to the last 2-3 pounds that'll put me at the upper range of where I want to be (203), but nowhere NEAR my goal weight (197). I've been consistently under my caloric budget, good about the water and pretty active workout-wise and STILL can't shake this poundage. If you find the answer, please let me know.
  • llkdame
    llkdame Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and started at 167 last Sept. and am holding at 145 currently, I've only been logging with MPF for about 2 months and did so to make myself accountable since I am determined to get back to my weight from when I got married almost 13 years ago! I guess 22 lbs over 8 months isn't terrible but very slow! I have my goal set to lose 1/2 lb. per week and am happy to not be gaining anything back, but would like to hit my goal. With all the advise on weighing everything, will be purchasing a food scale this weekend to see how accurate my portions really are!!! Good Luck to everyone it sounds like lots of us are doing really well and we should all be proud of what we have accomplished so far!
  • tgrzela
    tgrzela Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I found it was easier once I got proper BMI and fat % measurements to set work out routine...also weighing food to ensure proper calories....this is easy to go over and not really know

• Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Aww thanks guys! I think I need to invest in a food scale! Iv fallen off the wagon this last week due to personal problems so just need motivation to get back into it!
  • PiperGirl08
    PiperGirl08 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    seanafvet wrote: »
    Remember muscle weighs more then fat. So if you have gained muscle weight that can be the reason behind struggling with the last few lbs. don't let the scale get you down you will achieve your goal just be patient.

This is not true at all. Muscle is more dense than fat but a pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh one pound. Besides, if she's eating at a deficit she's not going to be gaining muscle.

The last few pounds take longer because you have a smaller margin of error with your calories. Without the use of a food scale, it's going to be even harder as well.

This isn't exactly true: How to Build Muscle and Lose Fat (http://www.muscleforlife.com/build-muscle-lose-fat/)
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Remember muscle weighs more then fat. So if you have gained muscle weight that can be the reason behind struggling with the last few lbs. don't let the scale get you down you will achieve your goal just be patient.

This is not true at all. Muscle is more dense than fat but a pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh one pound. Besides, if she's eating at a deficit she's not going to be gaining muscle.

The last few pounds take longer because you have a smaller margin of error with your calories. Without the use of a food scale, it's going to be even harder as well.

This isn't exactly true: How to Build Muscle and Lose Fat (http://www.muscleforlife.com/build-muscle-lose-fat/)

Did you even read the article you linked? LOL. Overlooking the glaring fact that the author of it has something to sell, which makes the article itself even more irrelevant, I can guarantee you that what is in the article does not apply to the OP's situation. OP, I mean this in no offense to you in any way.

I mean, did you look at the article's promise(s)? "Use this workout and flexible dieting program to lose up to 10 pounds of fat and build muscle in just 30 days…without starving yourself or living in the gym", "How to get lean and build serious muscle and strength, faster than you ever thought possible…" Come on now.
  • PiperGirl08
    edited April 2016
    Options

Did you even read the article you linked? LOL. Overlooking the glaring fact that the author of it has something to sell, which makes the article itself even more irrelevant, I can guarantee you that what is in the article does not apply to the OP's situation. OP, I mean this in no offense to you in any way.

I mean, did you look at the article's promise(s)? "Use this workout and flexible dieting program to lose up to 10 pounds of fat and build muscle in just 30 days…without starving yourself or living in the gym", "How to get lean and build serious muscle and strength, faster than you ever thought possible…" Come on now.

Actually, I did.

Here I quote:
      So, to recap, here’s what it boils down to:
    • Maintain a moderately aggressive calorie deficit (with proper macros)
    • Emphasize heavy, compound lifting in your weightlifting workouts
    • Do no more than 2 hours of HIIT cardio per week
    • Get plenty of sleep
    • Use the right supplements to speed up the process
    • And your body will take care of the rest.

Don't agree with the premise? Totally fine, but not sure why you're so invested here. People who want more information on the topic can look for themselves, i.e. beyond your post and others like it.<shrug>

Anywho, for interested parties, here's another:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly3.htm

Oh, and a quote from the original on the supplements:
    "And to be clear: you don’t need supplements to succeed in your body recomposition efforts but the right ones can really help."
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

Actually, I did.

Here I quote:
    • Get plenty of sleep

Don't agree with the premise? Totally fine, but not sure why you're so invested here. People who want more information on the topic can look for themselves, i.e. beyond your post and others like it.<shrug>

I could ask the same about you and this particular article. You quoted my post with this "buy my book/supplements" article as being the sole proof of gaining muscle in a caloric deficit. I'm not sure why you chose my post as there are several other posts in this thread that are saying exactly what I am about muscle gain. I, among other people here, have firsthand experience with gaining muscle and lowering body fat so I'm quite familiar with predicaments like the one the OP is having.

Several people in here gave OP some sound advice based on her original post. If she's struggling to actually shift weight, it really does come down to patience and accurate logging. OP even admitted she fell off the wagon with her logging last week. If she were recomping, she would have stated such in her original post. Besides that, the OP would have to be doing everything your article is claiming in order to gain muscle at a caloric deficit. The fact that OP is a woman makes gaining muscle in a calorie deficit even more difficult to do, especially when the OP seems to be beyond the point of "newbie gains".
  • PiperGirl08
    Options

Actually, I did.

Here I quote:
    • Get plenty of sleep

I could ask the same about you and this particular article. You quoted my post with this "buy my book/supplements" article as being the sole proof of gaining muscle in a caloric deficit. I'm not sure why you chose my post as there are several other posts in this thread that are saying exactly what I am about muscle gain. I, among other people here, have firsthand experience with gaining muscle and lowering body fat so I'm quite familiar with predicaments like the one the OP is having.

Several people in here gave OP some sound advice based on her original post. If she's struggling to actually shift weight, it really does come down to patience and accurate logging. OP even admitted she fell off the wagon with her logging last week. If she were recomping, she would have stated such in her original post. Besides that, the OP would have to be doing everything your article is claiming in order to gain muscle at a caloric deficit. The fact that OP is a woman makes gaining muscle in a calorie deficit even more difficult to do, especially when the OP seems to be beyond the point of "newbie gains".

I quoted "a" post and provided an alternative viewpoint. The quoted article just happened to be yours, with your particular authorship having never crossed my consciousness.

But since the general consensus is that the OP isn't operating at a caloric deficit, then she very well could be building muscle, so perhaps your and other advice wan't quite so sound after all.

Anyway, bored now. Enjoy the articles.
  • gloriajmillner
    gloriajmillner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have stopped eating after 8 pm, and I'm slowly losing weight. I'm also trying to work harder, not longer at the gym. Pay attention to mets, if you're using aerobic fitness machines like an elliptical.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've got 5lbs left to go. I'm estimating it'll take me 4-5mths to lose :confounded:

OP you are definitely not alone in this struggle xx