Healthy Chinese Food???

Options
2»

Replies

• KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    my boss is chinese and she straight told me that if i cook it at home from original recipes its not bad at all. if i get takeout then i'm setting myself up to fail because its all flash fried that way.

lol funny i just asked her this like a week ago too. then i asked for recipes in which she told me "are you nuts my grandma has nothing written down" lol
  • Iammelting
    Iammelting Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    so what part of it is bad ? the sauce ? Im having it made with no oil . whats a better option then ? I dont eat meat.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    sweet and sour shrimp or pork isn't too bad for fat and calories.

Are you crazy??? Anything sweet and sour is battered and then deep fried. Then topped with a VERY high sugar sauce.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Drink excess water when eating chinese to flush sodium. Ur suppose to drink half ur body weight in ounces of water a day...drink that plus an extra cup or two...

Steamed rice instead of fried...and things like brocolli chicken and sub gum chow mein without the noodles...... egg flower soup is healthy but high sodium. Any chinese dish except fried items, is pretty much healthy minus the sodium and extra water cures that.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    sweet and sour shrimp or pork isn't too bad for fat and calories.

Are you crazy??? Anything sweet and sour is battered and then deep fried. Then topped with a VERY high sugar sauce.

Im glad sum1 said sumthin lol. Just one piece of sweet/sour chicken is like 70calories... u order a plate of it or even as just a side and u have multiple pieces (10 to 20 times 70calories each...that's alot!!) High fat cuz of oil that its deep fried in, and not to mention the sugar, etc..
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I just skimmed the replies here, so if I'm repeating, sorry!

I always get a kick out of "Chinese" food in the USA and other "Western" countries - people, that food they serve is not real Chinese food! It is covered in sugar, deep fried, and tons of meat is added.

I usually look through the menu and pick out something like tofu, steamed veggies, and white (or brown) rice - super healthy AND more realistic! They will usually be accommodating you when you ask for no sauce, sauce on the side, steamed versus pan fried veggies, etc. My place loves it since they know I'm being more real and healthier! If your place can't do that, find a new one!

And per some suggestions, you can also make it at home - try 5 shrimp, chopped up, with brown rice, steamed veggies, and a tiny bit of "sauce" made with honey, lemon, and a dash of soy.

Or make your own wontons - in a food processor, add cooked shrimp, veggies like cabbage and julienned carrots, and grind up with spices. Then place a small spoonful onto a wonton wrapper and put in a bamboo steamer until finished. You can then put them under the broiler for a minute or two to "brown up". Wonton wrappers should be in your supermarket or in a special "Asian" store.

Finally, realize that most people like "Chinese" food for the sugar, sauce, fried parts so if that's you, none of these will really satisfy the same so instead just save up for a splurge every few months, it won't kill you!

Hope that helps!
  • mrzpeep
    mrzpeep Posts: 7
    Options
    I get egg drop soup and steamed chicken & broccoli and general tso sauce on side to dip in.
  • WildWayz
    WildWayz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Japanese food is very healthy - love it!
    As for Thai - it is deffo better than Chinese because of the lack of MSGs etc.
    Calorie-wise, it isnt great as coconut milk is really high in calories and fat - however, the ingredients are 'clean' - no artificial guff.

I love Thai and Japanese and cant remember when I last had Chinese!