Under Calories/Starvation Mode Question

Options
I just ate dinner and I am full. I usually go to bed in about 40 minutes. Somehow I ended up (and this hardly EVER happens..lol) with like 900 some calories left. I know that if you dont eat most your calories that your body will go into starvation mode and your metabolism will slow down. So what do you do in cases like this?

Replies

• katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    You go to bed like you usually do.
  • Lindz2323
    Lindz2323 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Someone had told me awhile ago to eat some almonds, or other kinds of nuts, they tend to have more calories, per smaller servings, plus theyre good for you =)
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    If it's a rare thing, I don't stress it. Like one of the days I was really sick and only ended up eating like 600 calories that day. If it's a common thing, I'd suggest looking for some higher calorie low volume snacks such as nuts to help fill in the gap. They have excellent natural oils that are so important for your body. Just watch out for the roasted salted stuff as it gets bad for you quick. Opt for dry roasted over oil roasted and less salty to unsalted over salted.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    occasionally being way under has no ill effect.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    One day won't hurt you. If you aren't hungry, don't eat.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Someone had told me awhile ago to eat some almonds, or other kinds of nuts, they tend to have more calories, per smaller servings, plus theyre good for you =)

Why would she do that? She just said she's full.
    One flippin' day of not eating enough calories (whatever that means) doesn't put you in "starvation mode" for crying out loud.
  • Uk_Yogini
    Uk_Yogini Posts: 167
    Options
    Don't worry about it. I personally have 800 left today.
  • aclark6818
    aclark6818 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I think you should be fine as long as you usually consume 1200 net calories a day. I wouldn't eat if I wasn't hungry especially right before bed. Your metabolism won't shut down over night if you don't consume enough calories one day. Good Luck
    :flowerforyou:
  • suzikelley
    suzikelley Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Are those 900 calories from exercise, or is there 900 calories left just from your food allowance?? If most of those are from exercise, I wouldn't worry about it. But if you've only eaten like 300 calories all day long - I would try to eat something. Either way, it's not going to hurt you for one day.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    You go to bed like you usually do.

this

don't make a HABIT of it, but it takes days in a row to get to the danger zone. One day isn't going to hurt you at all. Just eat all your calories tomorrow. And if you feel extra hungry and go over tomorrow, it's ok, you're body needed it and it's fuel. So don't feel guilty next time you go over. It all evens out.
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. If you are hungry, there's nothing wrong with having a healthy snack. Maybe some baby carrots, some nuts, something good for you. But if not, just try to plan better the next day. If this happens a lot though, and you are falling short, I would re-focus on planning my meals, logging faithfully until it becomes a habit. Oh, and focus on the positive. Worry can spiral into fear which can spiral into stress and become self-defeating. Good luck and good health to ya!
  • goingcrazy73
    goingcrazy73 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess I need to watch my calorie count earlier in the day from now on. I have quite a few days that I go under. I really want to do things right and reset my metabolism
  • goingcrazy73
    Options

One flippin' day of not eating enough calories (whatever that means) doesn't put you in "starvation mode" for crying out loud.

I should have eaten the almonds. I didnt end up eating and I did gain 0.5lb overnight when I usually lose overnight. MFP tells you everyday on the bottom of your chart that if you dont eat your calories your body will go into starvation mode and conserve calories making it hard to lose weight.
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I just ate dinner and I am full. I usually go to bed in about 40 minutes. Somehow I ended up (and this hardly EVER happens..lol) with like 900 some calories left. I know that if you dont eat most your calories that your body will go into starvation mode and your metabolism will slow down. So what do you do in cases like this?

I would say that one day isn't going to hurt you. Now if you do it on a daily basis then you need to start making yourself eat more (try protein bars, nuts, peanut butter, etc). But one day won't do any damage.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

I should have eaten the almonds. I didnt end up eating and I did gain 0.5lb overnight when I usually lose overnight. MFP tells you everyday on the bottom of your chart that if you dont eat your calories your body will go into starvation mode and conserve calories making it hard to lose weight.

Yea but that half a pound could have been to water weight or a whole host of other things.. and not solely because you did not eat enough. Besides half a pound is nothing.. weight yourself tomorrow and I'm sure it will be back to normal.

I'm almost always under my calorie goals and so far I've been ok.. no starvation mode or anything like that.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options

You know to actually gain half a pound you would have to consume 1750 extra calories? It's just water weight. One low day is not going to put you into starvation mode, and it is not why you went up over night.
  • morez610
    morez610 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    occasionally being way under has no ill effect.

I wanted to know if this is really true. I'm a 33-yr-old male and my daily caloric intake (according to the site) is 1590/day. I try to load up on protein and carbs during the day, and have something really tiny at night. I normally am a little hungry, but not to the point where I feel famished or extremely starved. I am anywhere between 100 to (at times) 400 under my daily goal. I've lost 15 lbs since I joined so I'm guessing that my daily routine is working. Sometimes though, I tend to record my food on the higher side just to be safe. Will this cause my body to go into "starvation mode"? And evern more importantly, will this delay my over-all weight goal? Thanks so much!
  • goingcrazy73
    Options