why is my weight going UP?

Options
2»

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Weight can fluctuate for MANY reasons.

Since you've only been at it two weeks, it is difficult to say that the weight fluctuation is fat related at all. Weight can Some popular reasons weight fluctuates:

1. Increased sodium causes excess water retention
    2. Increased food intake over previous day (can even still be in deficit) causes water retention to process food
    3. Increased physical activity using water to repair minor damages to tissues
    4. For women: Menstrual cycle is about to begin
    5. Dehydration event (binge drinking, excess sweating, etc.) causes water loss

Al this involves water. I can fluctuate 5 pounds in a single day based solely on water. In fact, I know if the scale will go up or down in the morning based on what I did yesterday.

When you weigh yourself, try weighing at the same time every time you weigh, once a week or once a day. Keep at your plan, and overall you'll head in the right direction.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is the blink of an eye. It took Odysseus 20 years to get home from the Trojan War.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    AliceAxe wrote: »
    have you ever noticed a lot of people with chronic pain issues truggle with weight probs? I think its more than just being sedintary and/or comfort/boredom eating. Ive been trying for a year to lose weight and only lost 10lbs. Im in the same situation with fibro , myofacial pain syndrome arthritis and others. I supsect the chronic pain is the culprit. it causes stress which causes cortisol, and I think our bodies are in crisis so go into a protective state like 'starvation mode' to keep weight on. if you think about it from a biology stand point, an injured animal cant easily find food or compete with resources, so mabee this is some kind of evolutionary adaptaion to hang onto reserves. not sure if this is correct or what to do about it if this is the case. I try to do things to relieve stress and pain but I have no solutions for that so am kind of stuck as to what to do.

If only those starving African children could be more stressed out! Then they wouldn't lose so much weight!
  • nessamelda
    nessamelda Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    AliceAxe wrote: »
    have you ever noticed a lot of people with chronic pain issues truggle with weight probs? I think its more than just being sedintary and/or comfort/boredom eating. Ive been trying for a year to lose weight and only lost 10lbs. Im in the same situation with fibro , myofacial pain syndrome arthritis and others. I supsect the chronic pain is the culprit. it causes stress which causes cortisol, and I think our bodies are in crisis so go into a protective state like 'starvation mode' to keep weight on. if you think about it from a biology stand point, an injured animal cant easily find food or compete with resources, so mabee this is some kind of evolutionary adaptaion to hang onto reserves. not sure if this is correct or what to do about it if this is the case. I try to do things to relieve stress and pain but I have no solutions for that so am kind of stuck as to what to do.

I have the reverse problem -when my rheumatoid arthritis is active I drop weight without trying-while it feels like I'm eating normally, and I'm certainly moving less, I just don't have the energy or inclination to either prepare food or eat it when I'm sore and suffering from that total awful lethargy that the active autoimmune disease involves. When the disease inhibiting drugs are working my weight bounces back up very quickly (which is why I am back counting calories again as my knees would appreciate carrying less of me around on top of them)
  • I_amnr
    I_amnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    try measuring your waist as well
    lost only 0.2 kg this week by .83 cm off my waist so technically I made very good progress

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I gain before my period and at ovulation. (And lose it plus more a few days later)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    @sbernardo123 - where are you in your menstrual cycle? I gain at ovulation and right before my TOM.
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Do not weigh everyday! Fluctuations are normally especially within your menstrual cycle. These fluctuations are super demotivating.
    If you weigh weeks you'll be giving yourself enough time to lose a decent amount which should then be apparent on the scales even within fluctuations providing you're losing a decent bit each week.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Salty pretzels are making you retain water and you haven't pooped yet.

Pro tip: Only weigh once a week so that you can get a more accurate feel for the trend. Day to day fluctuations will make you go crazy.

I actually get more accurate data for the trend when I weigh everyday since doing it just once a week would leave the numbers vulnerable to a possible high day. That said, I don't obsess over fluctuation day to day. It's just data to me. For people that are emotionally invested in the numbers, weighing fewer times might be better for their mental health despite that it's a less accurate representation of the fluctuations.

OP, if weighing stresses you out, do it less. But if you are now armed with the knowledge that it's normal for the numbers to go up and down, that it doesn't necessarily mean you're gaining fat weight and can now divorce your emotions from the scale numbers, you can keep weighing yourself daily.