Controlling post work out hunger

Options
I've been doing really well exercising and sticking to it but my weight loss is stalling again because I'm just so hungry after. I usually have great will power, but after exercising I'm binging.

Should I be eating certain protein/carb/fat pre or post work out to prevent this? I usually don't eat anything after because I don't want to eat calories after since I just burned calories.

Please help me fix this issue just want to lose the last 10-15lbs grrrrr!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you use mfp numbers, you should eat back exercise calories
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options

So eat back all the calories I burned? I'm definitely not doing that. Well at least not planning to lol
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

So eat back all the calories I burned? I'm definitely not doing that. Well at least not planning to lol

Why not? Mfp gives you a deficit before exercise.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I know I'm going to be hungry after a workout so I plan to have a post workout smoothie after a workout, and then about an hour after that I eat dinner and I'm done. (I skip the post workout smoothie if it's a cardio workout or yoga though and just go right to dinner). If you know you are hungry after a workout plan a meal after it. Having a healthy, planned out meal for after the gym can help fight off the post workout binges.
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I think part of getting this right is getting to know your body and building an eating plan that works for you so that you're not hungry. I think that any nutrition plan that has you suffering is not something that you'll be able to maintain long term. So if I were you, I'd map out my foods knowing that you're going to be hungry after your workout. I would plan to eat a little before and a little after.
  • miss_aims
    miss_aims Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I grab something with all three macros. I like apples with peanut butter and some cheese.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Plan a meal or small snack for right after. Smoothies are the best because they're healthy but filling. Better to plan something healthy than to end up binging on crap. Just my philosophy.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

^^^ This. The goal MFP gives you includes the deficit. If you are not eating any of it back, you are putting yourself into a steeper deficit. This increases health risks associated with malnutrition (depending on how much you are eating versus how much you are working out). Additionally, it leaves you hungry because you are not fueling your workouts, increasing the likelihood of a binge. MFP does tend to overestimate calorie burns though (not for everyone, but for many), start with eating about half back and see if that helps. Play with your macros. Make sure you are getting enough protein and fat. Some people swear by having carbs on board. Figure out what works for you. But eat some of those exercise calories. Your body can only burn so much fat in one day, the rest will come from muscle and organs.