Options

Replies

• ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    chel325 wrote: »
    I eat anything I want in moderation.

Calories in calories out

Yep, this. I've continued to eat all the foods I like and haven't cut anything out, or made any drastic changes. I just started being mindful of portion sizes (food scale), accurately tracked my food intake and followed the appropriate calorie deficit for my weight loss goals.

The results - lost around 50lbs, improved all my health markers including getting a high glucose number down into the 80s, and most importantly I've now been able to maintain the loss for 3 years now. I'm doing this whole thing in a realistic and sustainable way that's doable for the rest of my life.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm following an exchange diet and keeping track of servings rather than calories. I think I might be able to stick to this. Counting calories in/calories out is too tedious for me. Much easier to have a slice of bread and check off one of the starch boxes or a piece of fruit and check off one of the fruit boxes.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want in moderation. Feel like I would go insane (assuming I'm sane now) if I started restricting too much
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Calories In, Calories Out (CICO)
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I started cutting carbs this summer when I found out I was insulin resistant. I'm now at 50 grams of carbs so I guess LCHF and protein. It's helping me lose when just lowering my calorie intake wasn't.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    CICO - i eat less than i burn to lose weight. plus since i'm insulin resistant, i stick near 20 grams of carbs or less per meal, not counting fiber and mostly complex carbs. i eat very little sugars and no added sugars.

i rarely eat gluten because i'm allergic to wheat. i do sometimes eat rye, spelt and other gluten grains, but it's so much easier these days to buy gluten free foods that's usually what i do.

i've been a vegetarian since jan, 1994, but not for health reasons.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    amapril wrote: »
    Paleo, gluten-free, vegan, no sugar no grains, calories in/out...and on & on it goes. I get overwhelmed with the barrage of advice and soundbites on nutrition. I hear differing opinions: e.g., meat causes cancer, carbs cause cancer cause they turn into sugar, don't eat fruit/eat tons of fruit. I would love to hear some opinions from those who have found a nice balance and been able to shed the pounds. Please!

CICO
    I eat a variety of foods that I like that fits my calorie goal.
    To be more specific- I just watch my calorie consumption, make sure I eat enough protein, try to eat several servings of vegetables and fruits a day. That's pretty much it.
    I don't stress about it.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    All of my favourite foods and things I love, fit into my calorie goal.
  • KetoTheKingdom
    KetoTheKingdom Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Here's a tip. Avoid any diet that bans entire macros or food groups. I follow the Canada Food guide and even though my diabetes is in remission I can't give up decades of practice. So I portion out my macros at every meal including proteins, carbs and fats. I usually have steel cut oats with Greek yogurt and fruit of some kind for breakfast. Some lunches are a big salad with a vinaigrette with nuts and feta. I tend to prefer vegetables over fruit but I eat both. I cycle through a variety of meats, beans or tofu for dinner and my sides might be potatoes, rice or pasta. Again with a vegetable of some kind.

All foods are in. See?

Rice & pasta with diabetes? Is that like a beer after an AA meeting?
  • amapril
    amapril Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks All for your input! I appreciate the lively discussion :) .
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I follow a Ketogenic eating style along with CICO. It works well for me and has solved my health issues.
  • EddieP50
    EddieP50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much anything I want but stay within my calorie goal of course. I have cut out pastries and limit fried foods.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    My approach was to set a reasonable calorie goal and try to stay within that, but rather than cutting things out I added things. More vegetables. More lean protein. More whole grains. More exercise. By doing that I'm satiated but if I want dessert or a glass of wine, I can usually fit it into my calorie goal.
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Trying ketogenic with bulletproof coffee... it's not exactly bulletproof because I eat cheese.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I eat food, that's about it. I eat anything and everything with in my calories.

When people talk about all these other diets they always seem to mention craving the thing they cut, why not include it in moderation?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I strictly limit highly refined carbs (and sugars).
    Otherwise, I try to fuel my body with nutrient dense foods.
    Leafy greens, cruciferous greens, nuts, seeds, fish, lean meats, some dairy....

And some treats built in.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    chel325 wrote: »
    I eat anything I want in moderation.
    with a twist. 1,600 calories of which 55% carb, 15% protein, 30% fat.

• coonhoundmom50
    coonhoundmom50 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I make a Slimfast Advanced Nutrition Vanilla shake for breakfast, breakfast Essentials or Nutrisystem Chocolate powder shake at lunch, then a sensible dinner. Water, fruit or yogurt, and unlimited veggies in between. only 1 dinner roll w/supper, if that's part of the menu. Too much bread tends to blow me up in the belly. So far lost pounds over 3 weeks. Just recently started adding exercise every other day.