Ban the word CHEAT (in terms of dieting)!!!

Options
pa_jorg
pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
The word CHEAT implies that a person did something wrong. It's okay to eat things that aren't healthy for us once in a while. It's human to want to eat a variety of foods and flavors. On the physical side, the key is to eat those not-so-good-for-you items in moderation (we all know this)!!! And on the mental side, please stop beating yourself up and using the word CHEAT!!! You did nothing wrong by eating pizza or cake or anything else. Enjoy those items when you have them and then move on.

Just a thought for a Monday morning when everyone attacks themselves for what they did wrong over the weekend... let's ban the word CHEAT from our healthy lifestyle vocabulary!!!

Replies

• RMJC
    RMJC Posts: 5
    Options
    Ahhhhhhh.........THANK YOU! I soooo needed your words this morning. : )
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I hate that word. I call the days where I don't log "cheat days," and it makes me feel so guilty. :( The last time I had a cheat day, we went out to a restaurant, and I cried in the bathroom for 10 minutes after ordering.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    that's a good idea! i don't think i ever used "cheat"
  • aclark6818
    aclark6818 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm up for that!!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Good post! I don't attack myself for the weekends... I actually PLAN to eat that way! It sets me in the right mindset for the upcoming week, and it gives me the means to unwind from the week before. :)

P.S. I NEVER use the word CHEAT! :smile:
  • kids183
    kids183 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You ROCK! No more feeling down about weekend eating!!

:drinker:
  • lins_crafters
    Options
    I totally agree!
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I agree -- I didn't log all weekend because I just didn't want to have to stare in the face of what I was eating -- though I was well aware of it for sure (and I did get plenty of exercise!).

Shall we just call them rest days instead? Intervals?
  • Monica_1913
    Monica_1913 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Good post. It's good to treat yourself now and then. I'll call it "indulging". :)
  • irishwitch
    irishwitch Posts: 21
    Options
    I agree 100% I let myself have one of those kind of days once every other week or so.

@Funky: That was me yesterday almost. It was mine and my bf's off day and we went to TGI Fridays. Yea I felt a little guilty for ordering what I did, but I didn't eat it all anyways, as the portions are just way to big. And I left the extra there so no chance of eating more. :) But those kind of days are good for us every once in awhile.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Great post. I feel like so many times, we forget to live and focus on this so much!
  • Rhondast
    Rhondast Posts: 93
    Options
    Totally agree. It s very negative, that and the word struggle, and protocol. It is such a prominent word heard around the HCG forums, and most dieting forums. The minute they start using the word, they will fail. It makes my skin crawl.In place of the word would be, well, it would even be better to just say, I was hungry, or my blood sugar was down, or so, i ate it, so what? Or, don't even become so concerned about eating something.

I did that yesterday! Pie from a specialty baker, ice cream from a chocolateir. I bought it for my stepdad's 90th birthday. I'll be damned if I'm not going to eat that cause it's a cheat. It wasn't even indulgence, it was purely amazing food.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. there are many times where i feel i am cheating myself by eating a slice of pizza or a cupcake...but then i say to myself...."hey you are doing well on your weight loss and fitness and can have that one extra lil something." but yes moderation is the key. with watching what i eat, i usually treat myself to an extra lil something once a week, or if i get busy every other week (so twice a month)...but again, in moderation...and i tend to do it on a weekend.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'd like to ban "dieting." :wink:

If you're eating right - normal portions of food you enjoy, the majority of which are healthy - there's no need to "diet" and no need to "cheat."
  • pa_jorg
    Options

If you're eating right - normal portions of food you enjoy, the majority of which are healthy - there's no need to "diet" and no need to "cheat."

Completely agreed! Used it only for lack of a better word in the moment.
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Totally agree!
  • pa_jorg
    Options
    I'm with you! I hate that word. I call the days where I don't log "cheat days," and it makes me feel so guilty. :( The last time I had a cheat day, we went out to a restaurant, and I cried in the bathroom for 10 minutes after ordering.

@funky
    You've already done so much that is amazing and inspiring! I hope you never let one meal hurt you like that again!
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    I don't support banning any words or ideas, but i am not on a diet... and if you aren't on a 'diet' you can't cheat.
    I have adapted my lifestyle to strive to be healthy through proactive fitness and nutrition - eating well and exercising.

It's not what you do some of the time -- it's what you do most of the time :smile:

• GraceOnAMission
    GraceOnAMission Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's not what you do some of the time -- it's what you do most of the time :smile:
    Completely changed my thought process. Thanks for this wisdom! :happy: